National Defence and the Canadian Forces

National Defence and the Canadian Forces Reviews

Updated February 4, 2015
Updated February 4, 2015
4.0

National Defence and the Canadian Forces Minister of National Defence Robert Nicholson
Robert Nicholson

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are second-to-none (in 4 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, great people, lots of opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very administratively frustrating, lots of time away from home (in 7 reviews)

• I spent a lot of time away from home and my family and friends but it was worth it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

good interview question during interview

Current Employee - Officer Cadet
    Current Employee - Officer Cadet

I have been working at National Defence and the Canadian Forces part-time

Pros

good co, to start job

Cons

bad salary and no career path

employee

Great opportunity for students to get experience in the real world

Former Contractor - Student Designer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Student Designer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at National Defence and the Canadian Forces as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at National Defence as a civilian student designer through FSWEP. It was a great opportunity for me to not only work on real projects (I had only done graphic design in class until then), but also to work with people that were different than I was (I didn't know anything about the military before I started).

Flexible hours - they worked around my school schedule
    Great work-life balance
    Each semester I worked there I got an automatic raise.

Cons

There was some red tape that had to be worked around at times, especially when it came to contact-renewal time.
    Not always enough work to keep me busy - had to make up own projects for stuff to do.

The town hall meetings were a nice break from desk work, and it was nice to see people from different floors, but they did sometimes feel too long.

The Most Fun You Will EVER Have

Former Employee - Master Corporal in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Master Corporal in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at National Defence and the Canadian Forces part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada in Hamilton is by far the best Reserve unit anywhere in Canada. The people are tremendous, the training is extremely tough and challenging but well worth the effort put into it. You will seriously never have a dull moment!!

Cons

Politics can always be a pain, but if you can move past that, even the lack of sleep won't get you down!

Keep up the tremendous work!!

Great Place!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at National Defence and the Canadian Forces full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work it. Lot's of exciting projects to work on - great synergy between Civilian and the Military workforce, each bringing their strengths to the table to build a solid headstrong team.

Cons

Alot of unnecessary bureaucracy slows down the process to a halt. People are afraid to take on responsibility, and always passing the buck.

Support your staff!

Something for everyone.

Pros

With multiple trades to choose from and options for paid education there are certainly some benefits to working for this organization.This organization is more than just a job but a lifestly

Cons

There is a great deal of time spent away from home in unfavourable working conditions

Good experience

Current Employee - Reservist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Reservist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at National Defence and the Canadian Forces

Pros

Decent pay. Lots of training. Great experience.

Cons

A lot of paper work and admin for everything.

Canadian Forces human resource dept.

Former Employee - CF Recruiter in Fredericton, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - CF Recruiter in Fredericton, NB (Canada)

I worked at National Defence and the Canadian Forces full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing working as a CF member in Recruiting is its uniqueness and working with a wide range of trades, all components, and the personnel it employs. There was a great learning curve working in recruiting. There was nothing in my career that compares or prepares you to work in this type of job coming from your trade and with many qualifications, unless you are a PAO, or Personnel Selection Officer. I really loved working with this office and with its staff, and having the opportunity to speak to the public about careers in the CAF.

Cons

The challenges faced in recruiting is ever changing, and the common Canadian public don't have enough knowledge to base their opinions on what it is like to work in the CF. There is also a lack of knowledge coming from members within the CF on recruiting, beside there own experiences that is specific to mostly their own trades. Most CF members can only give advice on their own trade and know very little about all the other occupations available in the CF. The basic requirements for someone to join is on the website but the education specific requirements change and best to get from a recruiter and not the website for specifics. There are many civilian jobs that don't have a specific equivalent trade in the CF, and vise versa when changing jobs, or leaving the CF. There are many transferable skills to both civilian or military but sometimes there isn't an equivalent trade to use past training, or at least they cannot use all efforts completely, when it comes to formal education or training.

There could be more involvement from the CF trades authority and Career manegers with their members, and with recruiting group There is a need to have a better understanding on how the Canadian Governments budgets play a major part and influences the annual intake for numbers hired each year in trades and maybe how this is decided. What manegement hasn't enforced or isn't reflected properly is the needs on base or in trades that maybe short and in demand for hiring isn't what numbers being hired this year. The trades may have a specific number wanted or be in a shortage within that trade, isn't normally the same on what is hired for that fiscal year in recruiting. The intake for a fiscal year is planned to fill BMQ's numbers , and predicted for later to fill numbers needed a year or two away. The personnel hired two years ago was to fill what is short on base currently. The process to be hired and the screening selection is strongly influenced by the trades authority, and its education needed to work in each trade. The recruiting centers and their staff are not the entire deciding factors to who gets hired for the specific trade positions available. The successful candidates are decided by higher, and some from the career manegers in each trade, but only after passing the entire recruiting process layed down by Ottawa, not the recruiting staff at the centre levels. These past few points show the lack in knowledge or information passed within the general CF population. It has always been an issue by recruiting staff when often criticized by some senior CF members voiceing there opinions about how recruiting centers hire and not being sufficient.

Army Officer

Former Employee - Army Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Army Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Excellent job challenge and responsibilities. Superb benefits and opportunity for growth. Exciting.

Cons

Significant time away from home.

Artillery Officer

Current Employee - Army Officer in Brandon, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Army Officer in Brandon, MB (Canada)

I have been working at National Defence and the Canadian Forces full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great military career that exposes one to an All arms environment.

Cons

Tight budgets, old vehicles and lack of international missions (UN, NATO etc) has made the job demoralizing.

IT department is archaic and reeks of early 2000 software. Very frustrating for leadership and time consuming in the worst way.

Contract or outsourcing IT is a must. Military officers should not have to procees 100+ emails a day to do their jobs.

Amazing experience and great people

Former Employee - Private in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Private in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at National Defence and the Canadian Forces part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Serving your country
    Lifelong friends
    Great benifits

Cons

None really, thoroughly enjoyed my time in the CF