National Defense University

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vice Adm. Ann E. Rondeau

A high energy environment working with top notch faculty to prepare our future leaders with an executive level masters.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with great student body of future leaders.
    The environment presents a good life-work balance with flex time for faculty research and preparations.
    Changing curriculum forces the faculty to maintain currency in strategy and defense matters.

ConsOngoing disruptive change to curriculum is very demanding on faculty. It puts a lot of pressure on the faculty to continuously create fresh material while at the same time teaching and advising.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhase in changes, don't rush.
    Ensure there is time for personal growth and professional development

Good "first" internship, but varies greatly with the department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros1. Good staff support for interns
    2. Friendly, enthusiastic co-workers
    2. Comparative ease of access for military-related research
    3. Nice facilities, laid-back culture
    4. Excellent networking events and neat brown-bag lectures

ConsLack of spirit (sometimes NDU can just feel as silent as a tomb, and from my perspective, the culture was a bit awkward because staff is split between rigid, older ex-military scholars and young, exuberant, civilian researchers. The former seemed to have questionable respect for the latter).
    2. Poor IT support (internet, computer ran slow)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people working more closely together - the building is enormous, everyone has their own office, and things can settle into a pretty low-key day-to-day pattern.

For interns about to take positions here, just keep in mind that, despite its military-esque exterior, NDU *is* a university, not a thinktank or some sort of in-the-field organization. You should expect a university-like environment, meaning that it tends to be sleepier and quieter, as perhaps a history department might seem at in-district universities like GU, GW, AU, etc.

Overall, I was very grateful for my experience as an intern at NDU. My department was a bit of a unique case in that *everyone* had problems with our specific program's leader, who was kind but haphazard in his thinking. But mid-level staffers were supportive of me, and I was given appropriately interesting work for what, at the time, was my first internship. It served as a stepping stone for internships elsewhere.

Certain interns are brought on with a more explicit research focus, so keep this in mind when asking your interviewer about the position.

Current univ president is driving chaos

Professor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat place to teach. Significant academic freedom

ConsNDU president is writing checks he can't cash. . He is a good idea machine with no substance or staff work supporting new programs. Current plan to revamp the curriculum is high risk and puts the colleges at risk to effectively teach.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and include the faculty in planning. There is too much talent and current leadership is not leveraging the faculty.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity for grad school interns, stepping stone to success in security policy

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFilled with really smart, capable, and friendly people. Provides excellent opportunity for interns to get experience as research assistants and connect with an intellectually stimulating community. NDU experience is generally well-regarded by others in the field, making it a great place to launch a career.

ConsTypical bureaucratic hurdles, along with abysmal IT support, diminish the experience. Ongoing budget crises and sequestration negatively impacted the experience.

Academia environment, Federal Government focus

ProsVery Flexible, non-hierarchical, supportive co-workers & professors, open opportunity to research anything you would like, laid back environment during the summer

ConsLack of direction, you have to be a self-starter in order to get something out of this internship, lack of full introduction to how the organization functions

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Wonderful people and a great place to work, but understimulating.

Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe compensation is great and the associated perks (benefits, gym, leave, etc.) are lovely. Stress is low and the demands are not too high.

ConsOrganizational pace is slow and some policies seem inflexible and archaic. Contractors are not as highly valued which can promote turnover as there aren't as many opportunities for professional development and upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to better utilize the talented and dedicated professionals you have.

Excellent People | Limited Responsibility Internship | Great Resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people with interesting backgrounds; unparalleled resources at the National Defense University; Interesting materials; Wonderful intern manager

ConsIn a three month summer internship, I wish there was more responsibilities but that is asking a lot given the situation

Advice to Senior ManagementAmbassador Herbst, you are doing a great job

Great opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent professional and military staff

ConsVery labor intensive curricula are taught

Excellent opportunity to learn about National Security matters

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDiverse group of people
    Excellent opportunity to find mentors to provide guidance in particular fields you're interested in
    Great research resources you can use for personal research projects if you are still in school
    Educational/Certificate opportunities are offered for free at the NDU Library

ConsLeft to your own devices when finding work (e.g. I had to track down professors on my first day to see if they had anything they would like help with. This isn't hard if you are an extrovert.)
    Day-to-day activities can get pretty dull
    Parking started to become a problem towards the end of the summer

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a little more guidance to interns on how to approach staff for work

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood people to work with, fun environment, great international experience, Great location, chance to meet leaders from all over the world, free parking and px gas station!

ConsLeadership, not enough support from the DoD (No money), the budget sequestration effected this institution and its researchers

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't pray away your problems! You need more research and publishing and less food on events!

Worked for National Defense University? Contribute to the Community!