National Education Association

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis Van Roekel

A challenging position and very fast paced.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff are a wonderful group of people.

ConsCommunication throughout the organization was sometimes a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommuicate changes and activities to all departments.

I really miss working at NEA!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA hard working yet relaxed environment where the people all get along as if one big family. Everyday you look forward to going to work, as you will always have work to do and challenges to meet, but you are supported with a team of professionals that do not allow each other to be overwhelmed.

The benefits are great.

The cafeteria is filled with fresh and tasty foods at a reasonable price.

Overall you will be happy working for NEA....and the foundations cause is excellent.

ConsNone that i encountered from my time there

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your IT technicians, and IT managers when they suggest solutions, after all they do know the technology better than you. As well I would like to see NEA utilize in house development.

Great experience

Intern (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunity to learn the inner workings of a labor union. Being exposed to the work that NEA does, you get a feel for how to navigate around. You learn how to network. The staff is there to help you so don't be scared to reach out. The the place is big with over 500 employees working in the building, awesome environment.

ConsWorking in such a big place might take a little time to get used to if you don't have experience before

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI worked in the Human and Civil Rights department on the Priority School Campaign. The internship was very hands one and I was expected to complete multiple projects. My duties consisted of gather information from various state departments of education about the status of at risk schools and the steps being taken to turn these schools around.

ConsCommunication between myself and my supervisors sometimes was lacking. I was often not notified when work was canceled. There were a couple times when I showed up for work and no one was in the office.

Active, innovative, forward-thinking organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining, resources, equipment, facilities were among the best. NEA does all it can to make sure employees have what they need to do their jobs.

ConsBureaucracy. Simply put, there are often too many cooks in the proverbial stew. There isn't a program or campaign that doesn't get put threw the ringer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and promote current employees instead of turning to consultants, contractors and other outsiders

Member of the top leadership, the Executive Committee

Executive Committee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe leading authority on the real tasks of teachers and support staff in this country, if not the world; upbeat, supportive, energetic staff; still a force to be reckoned with in the Capitol.

ConsIntensely political; pecking order already established; somewhat prickly relationship with top management; falling membership will mean openings for staff will, and are, intensely competitive; members are often myopic about goals and reality of the "outer world".

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must break out of the box you are in, in order to be more successful; you must encourage members to be more assertive, not less; your legislative goals have been reduced too far; the alienation you fear has either been simply ignored or has already taken place. You are simply not part of the conversations that take place within think-tanks any longer; nobody is discussing your positions; you are seen as something to be gotten around, rather than to be dealt with. It's a bitter pill of reality, but one that must be faced.

Volunteer Internship lacked guidance, although staff are helpful if you're active

Washington, DC

ProsMy internship at the NEA proved to be helpful for pushing me to independently seek out opportunities, whether that be connecting with people in different departments and exploring different interests that way, or take my interests outside the organization to people linked to NEA. The program allowed you a lot of time flexibility, which if you don't use that wisely will result in you being bored with your work. In other words, SEEK OUT WORK. Almost all staff members are super kind and helpful, and will help you get where you want to be.
    Volunteering and participating in a rally proved to be one of the more meaningful parts to this internship since those were the times when I was meaningfully working with people.

ConsI was expecting this internship to be more structured than it was, which to me meant working with a small group of people and getting to know the way around that way. On the contrary, I jumped around to two small sized projects and one large project all with different people and in different departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake clearer what interns will be doing during there internship here. Also, try to place all interns in a specific department to work closely with; 'jumping around' didn't work as I think they were planning.

Weird!

Washington, DC

ProsPay is wonderful. They work on a pay scale and starting salaries are way above comparable salaries for bachelor degrees. They also offer great benefits package Even the interns get paid quite well even though they are limited to how many hours they can work

ConsThe culture of the organization was a little off putting. On the surface everyone seemed to love their jobs, but after a few months and some investigating it became painfully evident that employees were not happy.

This large teachers union is staffed by union employees who vary widely in their skill sets and motivation.

IT Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCompensation is collectively bargained, good benefits and some perks. Hours are good, and micromanagement, while not unheard of, is fairly rare.

ConsManagement is oblivious in many ways, office politics lead to waste and under utilization of human capital. Management training is slight to none, few managers really understand what their role is, staffing levels for the workload imposed are lower than average, with much lip service paid to re prioritizing work. Failed/incomplete projects are often celebrated as successes as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about rocking the boat and more about getting ship shape. High performance doesn't mean pep talks, it means cutting back to fully fund what works, not what's politically expedient.

Overall a good place to work, could improve employee motivation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteraction with many other groups and organizations, great for gainine experience from the other side of the education spectrum, very diverse organization.

ConsSome issues with a lull in employee motivation, also communication chain can be confusing - who to report to and where to go with issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out more to employees to figure out what drives and motivates them personally in order to receive the best productivity levels

Worked for National Education Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Education Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Education Association CEO Dennis Van Roekel. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by National Education Association employees.