National Express Group

Updated Jun 18, 2014

National Express Group Group CEO Dean Finch

Dean Finch

Was ok

Customer Service (Former Employee)

ProsIt was flexible hours, changing periodically

ConsMicromanaged,It was flexible hours, changing periodically

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire an employee, you must trust their ability.

Management working to improve operations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsProgressively improving company processes and leadership

ConsBlue collar mentality takes time to make things happen and do it right

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaborate more, get out at the locations more

Lots of planning, a lot less action

Marketing (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMost of the regular folks were very nice and dedicated to their job.

ConsOccasional mass layoffs; managements over reliance on consultants; male dominated; many executives at the top were responsible for multiple contract losses, but still maintained their jobs. A lot of politics were involved in who could have flexible work schedules...Benefits were so-so

Very dependent on multiple multiple meetings (and oven multiple consultants) to get anything done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Blue collar mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome people are really positive and care.

ConsLot of politics, turf is turf, not very progressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an open mind and look for the right people to lead the company

Poor/Unethical Corporate Culture; Accounting Manipulation Is Alive & Well At NEC.

N/A (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsNone. There are no pros to working at NEC. Corporate Culture is very poor. US Corporate and Operations Finance leadership are basically both incompetent and have no qualms throwing Senior Financial Analysts "under the bus" to avoid taking responsibility for their own leadership mistakes. Average shelf-life of a Senior Financial Analyst "team" member at the company right now appears to be about 6 - 9 months, on average. After that, person is fired and replaced with somebody else.

ConsLeadership team of NEC is extremely "cliquish"; not terribly self-aware and would not be qualified to hold similar stature positions in other industries. Putting incompetent people in important jobs is a good recipe for accounting/earnings manipulation...which is essentially what the US management team does to "make the numbers" and meet UK parent company expectations. Corporate Finance team is especially poor, in my honest opinion. Being effective in Corporate Finance is about partnership and dialogue. It's very hard to "partner" with other parts of the company and do your job when the rest of the company thinks that you are "Ivory Tower" buffoons and doesn't really want to talk to you. If you have to constantly remind the operations people in your company that you were an "Investment Banker"... it's a pretty good indication that you are not very good at your job and don't have their respect. I am no longer an employee (thank God!); however the straw that broke the camel's back for me with NEC was: 3 months after I left the company, I heard company fired a Senior Financial Analyst who had only been working there for about 4 months and was still "clambering up the learning curve.". His wife was 3 months pregnant at the time. I called him up and confirmed it myself. That is a verifiable fact and is a whole new level of inhumanity that I have never come across in any company I've worked for. If you are looking for a good job to advance your career... look elsewhere. There's no increased professional stature to be had from: holding a poor job, in a dying industry, in a company with poor culture and where there is a high risk that you will be fired before you hit your 12 month anniversary. No one is going to look at your resume years from now and say: "You worked in Corporate Finance or Operations Finance for National Express Corporation. Impressive.".

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest/transparent. Adopt Google's motto of "Do no evil.". Good business is honest, ethical business. Durham School Services is a laggard in a dying industry. There is diminishing profitability and market share. Nothing is going to change that. You lack the vision, experience and business presence in the field to be able to change that. Don't pretend that you are superhuman and manipulate your accounting numbers to the UK. Ask for help and call in consultants to "re-engineer" your industry to revitalize or restructure it. If you had the technical skills to do this yourselves... you would have done it by now.

Buyer Beware

Recruiter (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsClose to home
    My paycheck has not bounced

ConsUnnecessary turnover
    Unethical hiring practices (coaching candidates on interview questions)
    Leadership lack interpersonal skills. Leaders who lack self-awareness and the ability to use their interpersonal skills produce a toxic atmosphere of mistrust.
    Inconsistent hiring guidelines-Some must possess a degree and others do not have to. It is more about if they like you or not otherwise you will be stuck in the same position until you get a clue and move onward. The Warrenville office operates like a Mom and Pop company opposed to a corporation ranking #3 in the Transportation industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote talent from within instead of seeking candidates on the outside. Otherwise, you will continue to waste money in the area of recruitment. Invest in your current employees through education reimbursement and most importantly implement a substantial employee recognition program
    Offer more flexible work options specifically in the summer months. This will keep employees engaged and happy.

You have never seen turnover like this anywhere, worst finance team to work for

(Former Employee)

ProsNone, it is an unbearable place to work. This is in reference to the Warrenville, IL office.

ConsThe turnover throughout the company is unbelievable, especially in the finance/accounting team. Management are not role models. Very disorganized assignments, fire-drills, and requests lead to useless long hours. Management will throw you under the bus to advance their career. You are set up to fail. Very hard to respect management, especially in finance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet family oriented people in management. Most people work to live, not live to work

Great office and coworkers at NEC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsGreat culture
    Employee events
    Flexible management

ConsLack of tuition reimbursement
    Lack of manager feedback

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback to employees on an on going basis

Corporate moral is very low (very very low....)

Corporate Staff (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsNone really that I can think of besides the fact that you're getting a paycheck.

ConsToo many changes in the management hierarchy. No sense of stability and your work isn't valued. Also, too many unrealistic cost cutting initiatives being rolled out with a straight face.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand firm on the ground and have realistic goals in mind - otherwise you will keep loosing valued employees.

It is a good company to work for to gain experience

Recruiting Specialist (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

Prosmid level managers are great

ConsInstability, negative work environment, too many changes to company direction

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better way to communicate with employees that they may be losing their job

Worked for National Express Group? Contribute to the Community!