National Federation of Independent Business

3.2

Dan Danner

Outside Sales Rep

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Great balance of freedom and accountability. Get to feel like you're making a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

You have to follow national politics, and that can sometimes be a real downer. You see upfront how the legislative decisions of the higher ups affect the landscape of small business. Can at times be depressing, and difficult not to 'take home.'

None. I really liked this job.... Sometimes wish I still had it. ;)

Interesting, challenging, gratifying, surprising and extremely enlightening!

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business

Pros

Excellent benefit package. Phenomenal mission

Cons

Catching the business owner on site, gaining the interview and getting them enrolled all in one call..is a stroke of pure luck. You've gotta learn the owners pattern of activity and what they drive to catch them.

Decide if you can sustain the organization based on the current NB acquisition model.

Awful organization to work for

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helps small business owners and provides a voice for their concerns

Cons

No paid sick days, no paid vacation, awful commission, inept management, and will kill your vehicle

Get rid of all middle management and replace them with skilled managers

Membership Representative

Former Employee - Membership Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Membership Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NFIB has an excellent mission and does first rate work as the number one lobbyist for small business in the United States. Selling the cause is easy, especially with the current government. Setting your own schedule is great, everyone is super nice, especially the support people and easy to contact. Loved the people.

Cons

The job has an 80% TURNOVER...and there are several reasons for that. You need to be young and extremely physically fit to do this job for more than a week and I am in excellent shape. The requirements are extremely stringent, 35-50 businesses a day in person cold calling. You have to be bold, and believe in your mission. You must work completely independently, designing your own schedule and mapping each night when you come home after driving for hours each day, and enter your orders. Very disciplined and scheduled. The way you stay connected is through conference calls one night a week for an hour. You do not get reimbursed for gas. You can make an excellent living with NFIB but only if you stay with them for a year or longer for repeat membership benefits. You cannot be relational, as the longest they even suggest you stay inside a business is 10 minutes max. This was entirely unachievable for me. People like to talk and so did I. If you like to spend time alone, are completely independent, get in and get out, work like you're on a mission, are bold, and relatively understated in your approach, these are the people that do the best...NOT typical salespeople. In my estimation, NFIB should only hire x-military. Seriously. I love what NFIB does, the people are great. Just know, you will be in rain, snow, heat and every extreme imaginable doing this job. And your resolve needs to be like a trooper.

Management people are great....but the perimeters of the job need to change. Many business owners were offended by the brief form of non relational "selling". This approach to membership is antiquated in today's highly relationship oriented marketing. Although I know it is profitable for NFIB, in my estimation, membership could be driven with more retention of the sale force ...which would make training costs drop significantly.

Great company

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business

Pros

wonderful support from regional managers, they pay good commissions, if you are good and work hard you can make a good living

Cons

it definitely is a difficult job for the faint of heart, if you are not one who is personally driven to succeed then this will be a tough job.

Field Sales Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business

Pros

Can make as much money as you want depending on how hard you want to work. Flexible hours, basically make your own schedule. Managers and other employees are always very helpfull and available when you need them. Freedom and autonomy every day in the field!

Cons

Entirely cold calling on small businesses and can be very different than most sales jobs. Goal is to have a hard close and sell the business owner on the spot. Straight commission, so can be stressful at times.

Keep up the good work!

Excellent, Great company to work for with excellent time off.

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business

Pros

The time off and the work schedule

Cons

Limited advancement and lack of communication with employees

create more advancement

Great company to work for; as a Field Service Representative, no cap on earnings; flexible hours

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Commissions paid weekly, bonuses are paid monthly and quarterly. Multiple bonus levels, uncapped. It's like running your own business without the headaches of owning your own business. You go to bed at night knowing you did something good for The American free enterprise system and the economy. Freedom & autonomy to start work early &/or work late. Six figure income is achievable during your first year as a Field Sales Representative . W2 position with full benefit package including 401K!

Cons

You have to go to work

Continue with the sales incentives and awards.

Overall, NFIB is a very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Membership Representative in Medford, OR

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top rep's make much more money than I did...many are earning $100K +. You can make your own hours also.

Cons

It's takes hard selling in many cases. I feel the job is much better suited to men than women. As a woman, I found it very exhausting and stressful, I am in excellent physical shape.

Create a different sales approach that fits a woman's style.

Not at all what it's cracked up to be.

Former Employee - Field Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It's ok if you can't find anything else..

Cons

Promises of huge incomes.

You're given previously "worked over" territories.

High sales rep turnover.

Membership benefits presented in sales pitch over-exaggerated.

Greatly overpriced membership fees.

Business owners mostly never hear from NFIB again after joining except to renew membership.

Use the NRA, AARP models.