National Financial Partners

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014

Douglas W. Hammond

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fine Leadership, Passion, Quality, and Caring - NFP is the next Best Places to Work!

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at National Financial Partners as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It was a joy to work in the Austin office, especially under the fine leadership I had (Marketing/Communications), and I would recommend it to anyone that can fit in. I say that because the company has high standards for competency, professionalism and there is definitely a close-knit family culture there. Across the company it was clear that they really take care of each other. Leadership strongly discouraged gossip/negativity and instead coached the team(s) on working together, building each other up, taking ownership of their work and never settling for mediocrity. Plus, everyone I met in the company was FUN, passionate about the quality of their work, and true professionals.
    Leadership takes your recommendations for company growth and improving processes seriously. Work/life balance and compensation is extremely fair, if not above average, and there is continual opportunity for training and growth. I wouldn't have left if I hadn't been accepted into the police academy and was making a 180 degree career change. NFP exceeded my expectations – I could see it being a next best places to work!

Cons

I can't think of anything I would warn others about. This is a great company!!!!

Keep doing what you're doing.

Good, laid-back environment - monotonous work for interns

Former Employee - Broker Dealer Compliance Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Broker Dealer Compliance Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at National Financial Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The employees were nice and welcoming from the start, and they really did care about input from the interns. We were often included in meetings we weren't needed for just so we could learn more about the industry. We were also given the opportunity to meet with each member of upper management for short get-to-know-you meetings, which was really great and made us feel like a real part of the company.

Cons

Although we were interns, the projects we received were pretty monotonous and not particularly value-additive. One of my most monotonous projects was so large it lasted the entire span of my internship. When completing these types of projects, it wasn't always clear that it would even be useful to the department, which got a bit frustrating at times.

Terrible Culture, Worthless Management, Very Little Growth Opportunities.

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at National Financial Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, very little expectations.

Cons

Terrible management, worthless executive team, not very profitable so little room for growth

Flexible but severely underpaid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Financial Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Okay benefits. Management is good depending on what department you work in. Co-workers are great from my experience

Cons

Pay- they severely under pay you! I mean - 15/20K less than national average for the amount of work.

Work load in way to high. Not able to work overtime to meet the unrealistic expectations.

Don't want to invest in their employees growth and development.

Cover your back - while everyone is nice, they will throw you under the bus in a heart beat!!!

Wise up! If you do not pay competitive wages you will continue to lose people.

Lack of good managers and career opportunities

I worked at National Financial Partners full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, but strict clock-watchers
    Pay for FINRA licenses, but only if you 'need' them to perform your job
    Friendly coworkers, even if they were unqualified at times

Cons

Lousy pay, and little opportunity for promotion until someone retires or quits
    Very little communication and collaboration between departments
    Managers don't want to do the work, just sit in the office and look busy

Get rid of the dead weight managers and VP's
    Support and develop your high performers
    Paying a little more will bring in much better employees

A good start but not enough growth opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at National Financial Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really nice people there who will allow you to take on new projects and responsibilities if you ask for it. Work-life balance is good compared to other companies. They pay for you to get numerous FINRA licenses.

Cons

Unless you are willing to wait 5 to 10 years for someone to retire or move on, there isn't much growth opportunity. Certain managers are dead weight and allowed to stay that way, which really impacts morale.

Ensure that everyone is held to the same standard and work on making opportunities for internal employees to move up.

Proceed with caution if in the IT sector

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at National Financial Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent building (gym, onsite cafe) - Flexibility scheduling

Cons

Low pay, minimal training in my IT role, bad/no middle management, lots of GED types mixed in with educated, sharp workers doing the same gig

Interact with your non-direct reports, spend money to retain and acquire talent

Good company overall but could use some work

I have been working at National Financial Partners

Pros

Reasonable pay, benefits, really good people, flexible schedule, small company means less red tape. Quicker policy and procedural changes when needed. Sr managers usually responsive to good ideas.

Cons

Too much disagreement between department leaders and executives. Senior executives care too much about numbers instead of people; they don't value knowledge and experience enough. Thinks people are easily replaceable and doesn't balance workload among managers. Not enough Positive reenforcement for great performance.

Realize the importance of people; do not have unreasonable expectations; empower managers more. Quit over promising and under delivering to employees and advisors.

Limited promotions available, give title changes with no pay raise.

I have been working at National Financial Partners

Pros

Flexibility in schedule and balancing home and work life.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Limited pay increases that do not match pace with benefit increases.

Dead sea in technology

Current Employee - Technology in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technology in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Financial Partners

Pros

Very flexible hours. They pay good and the turnover is high so it's easy to move up if you can stand it. It's easy to shine if you are halfway decent at your job. They use the most recent technologies.

Cons

There is no training and not many experts to learn from so you are on your own as far as learning new stuff. Lots of dead weight in the staff so most of your coworkers are vampires. Management really doesn't care that everyone is unhappy. A lot of jobs have been moved offshore.

You could do the same amount of work with half the people if you ditched the dead weight.