National Fire Protection Association
www.nfpa.org Quincy, MA

National Fire Protection Association Reviews

Updated Feb 23, 2014
National Fire Protection Association – US – “NFPA Headquarters”

James M. Shannon

Disappointing

Quincy, MA

I worked at National Fire Protection Association full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany dedicated, intelligent workers who believe in the mission of the organization and work tirelessly to fulfill that mission.

ConsThose who provide that tireless effort are not respected and can quickly become outcasts. The current management style is autocratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a trust issue in this organization in part because management continuously solicits feedback from employees but then ostracizes those who provide that feedback. There is a great deal of fear in this organization. The mantra among the majority of the current employees is to keep your head down, appease upper management, do your work, and stay under the radar.

NFPA Needs the Training - Students Suffer

Instructor (Former Employee)
Quincy, MA

I worked at National Fire Protection Association as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsNFPA is a well-known organization for fire safety, and therefore attracts the finest subject matter experts as instructors and course developers. The pay for contract instructors is slightly above average at times, but they haggle over the smallest things, like asking instructors to send back the $2 memory stick so it can be reused. The mission and the volunteers are the best things about NFPA.

ConsWhile attracting the best subject matter experts to develop and teach the courses, NFPA seems to care little about the students it attracts, nor the instructors once they have them under contract. I have taught classes where the location was advertised as a major city, only to have the actual class in some suburb over an hour from the airport, an unexpected expense for the students. The hotels are chosen for their price, so the distance and hotel quality brings down the catering costs for NFPA, while the students/instructors suffer. Many classes didn’t have enough booklets for the students. NFPA has often cancelled classes, and not informed some of the students who arrive to be told their class is not given. I’ve also informed NFPA that many students aren’t aware that there are many classes going on during a week, and if the students knew, they’d be able to maximize their plane ticket and time away from the office. NFPA is penny-wise but pound foolish. Now, many of the best instructors are now teaching for competitors who charge significantly less, and the students are getting the same great classes elsewhere. Many instructors who try to give feedback on these easy to fix items are viewed as “trouble makers” and some who are great were not renewed for this reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold those NFPA managers in charge of training accountable for the easy to fix problems in this department that are not being resolved. There is not one single person who is truly accountable over the department. With that being said, there are many training employees who care about making it better but who are afraid to speak up for fear of retribution. The manager “on paper” over training takes no responsibility and is not held accountable for continuing issues. For how long can this manager blame “the economy”?

NFPA has a friendly environment but there are too many internal politics and it is not easy to get things done.

I worked at National Fire Protection Association

ProsNFPA mission is to protect people from the burden of fire. Employees should be proud to contribute to such an important mission.

ConsAreas to improve: internal communication, cross functional team working, employees development, and career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggestions: pay more attention to what employees concerns are, do not use fear to drive change, improve some internal polices and procedures such as how employees terminations are handled.

Gone down hill in the last 5 years; hopefully recovering soon with new leadership

Engineer/Specialist (Current Employee)
Quincy, MA

I have been working at National Fire Protection Association full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe mission is the best thing about NFPA. The (non-managerial) workers are all so dedicated.

ConsTo keep my job, I've become "silent". The managers, particularly some of the VPs think that their title makes them smarter than their employees. They penalize employees who want to make things better. If you're the type of worker who does the minimum, you'll stay below the radar. If you shine or speak up about making things better, if you're smart, you're a "threat" and you might be a target. The current level of trust is abyssal, as I've seen people just "disappear" from the building when they disagree. Once someone gave a 2-week notice, and they were escorted out the next day. Poor treatment of employees unless you're a "yes-man". Poor pay - people stay because of the wonderful mission. I hate having to keep quiet. Hopefully the new president will change the atmosphere. I am hopeful.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Trust is earned, and penalizing great people who speak up is not the way to earn trust. You hire great minds for a reason - let them use their brains to improve the company. People want to work hard and make a difference. Just because someone has an opinion on change doesn't mean they don't love the company. If those opinions are voiced in a respectful manner, and at the appropriate time with the appropriate people, this behavior should be applauded. Good ideas go unspoken.

Great place and comfortable environment for working

Intern At NFPA (Former Employee)
Quincy, MA

I worked at National Fire Protection Association as an intern for more than a year

ProsThe biggest asset of NFPA was the people. They showed great example of work ethic, cared about future of intern, promoted opportunities for intern, and etc. Great place to work.

ConsFor an intern, pays were not much.

Great experience in many diverse areas of fire, life safety and emergency preparedness.

Washington, DC

I worked at National Fire Protection Association

ProsNFPA's mission has set the organization apart as one of the most prominent and well respected organizations in the fire service and standards and codes industry. NFPA works with coalitions, federal, state and local governments to adopt stronger fire and life safety codes.

ConsThe capacity of the organization continues to grow, however, many employees are stretched thin across the many issue areas. The organization employs and works with committees of technical experts in all fields of fire safety, emergency management, nuclear safety, and all hazards planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee training across the organization to ensure all staff members understand the technical codes and standards and are able to speak to a variety of audiences about the important work of NFPA.

Worked for National Fire Protection Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Fire Protection Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Fire Protection Association CEO James M. Shannon. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by National Fire Protection Association employees.