National General Insurance
www.nationalgeneral.com Winston-Salem, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

National General Insurance Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Byron Storms

Pros:
  • "There are some very hard working people at this company inspite of (you fill in the blank)"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The people who are still around are generally great people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Changes are made constantly, communication between upper management and general population is horrible"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The new owners could care less about employee moral, workload balancing, or structure"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Insurance Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid company for a long time. Decent pay and benefits

ConsMoved operations out of state

Brief stint, but very positive experience. Cleveland Oh

Cleveland, OH

ProsThe culture that the leadership team is promoting is as good as I have ever seen. I have worked in many call center environments and the people that run this show there generally care about the employees as well as the future of the company. I can't say the same thing about the other companies that I have been through. I would recommend this company to anyone that is career driven and looking for advancement within a quickly growing company.

ConsNothing that any normal company wouldn't have.

Sales

ProsI would say the staff got along great

Conspoor work life balance; needs work

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Revolving Door

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThe compensation was decent and I loved my work schedule, able to have a normal life.

ConsSome management should be re-evaluated, they fire people on a weekly basis. Some supervisors, not all, are to "busy" to help out their employees.

TERRIBLE!

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsNone! Absolutely none! The hours were bad, the managers were terrible, the pay was low for the amount of crap you had to put up with.

ConsIf I could give less than 1 star I absolutely would. I guarantee any good reviews here all from management trying to save their reputation.
    Where do I start? This company is full of nothing but gossip and drama. People constantly spreading rumors and causing problems; including supervisors! I heard more supervisors talking about each other behind their backs than anything else.
    The system doesn't work and they expect you to b/s your way through explaining their bad business to customers. I would never get insurance with this company and I'm furious I spent 3 years of my life working for them. I work for a much better company now and I tell everyone I can to stay away from NGIC.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your systems and the way you treat your staff and your customers! You're more worried about making money and defending your reputation than the well being of your staff and customers which is essentially losing you money.

The worst place I have ever worked in my entire life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsAbsolutely none! This place offers you hope and a dream. But in actuality, if your extremely desperate for a job then keep looking after you accept this one. Its just not worth the paranoia to worry about your job everyday.

ConsThe corporate politics are so severe there is no point of caring. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, your at risk. Upper management is quick to throw anyone under the bus in order to save themselves or of course their friends. There is a circle and if your not in it the watch out!! They lie about everything to gtet you in the door and then makeyou miserable. They offered great ay but then eventua;ly found a way to fire anyone making an exponential amount in order to cut costs. They offered free parking as a perk but that was short lived. They babysit you with short cubicle walls and a phone system that records how many times you go to the bathroom. The systems are terrible and they are too cheap to invest in better technology in order to help themselves suceed. There no training. Period! But yet they expect you to perform as though you have been doing this for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together! How long do you believe the company will survive without a law suit. So many shady things occur and its only a matter of time before things explode. Treat your people better and value your good reps. Implement an adequate training program. Give people a reason to enjoy coming to work and stop being so rediculus with your metrics. Its a system designed to make the rep fail and you know it!

One Team, One Goal!!

ProsI have been working in the CLE office going on 2 years now and from DAY ONE I felt welcomed by warm smiles, laughs and friendly faces. This company has the ability and desire to be #1 - when I moved across the country to become a part of my Nat Gen family, I did so because I wanted to be a part of this type of company! I believe my experience at National General is a postive one becuase I MAKE IT that! I like to work hard, have fun when it's possible and drive results!! For the employees that want to feel pride in earning their pay check, build relationships with one another and our customers and take pride in what they do all day, this is a phenomenal place to work. The people who love it here work hard everyday to maintain that - I feel a true ONE TEAM, ONE GOAL culture. I also know that if change needs to happen, I have the ability and right to ask for it and make it happen.

ConsThe cons at NAtional General are the same in any work place I have ever been - you always have people who are entitled, unhappy, complainers etc.. I don't see this as a con because I choose everyday to not allow these people to change my experience or get in the way of my goals! Is National General 100% efficient in everyway possible - no. Is National General getting closer everyday to being 100% - ABSOLUTELY! Biggest cons here are those who choose to stay and be unhappy and those who leave and come on this site to blame management and Nat Gen for being unsuccessful!

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a part of the management team my advice for all of us is to continue to work togetrher, build our relationships and the culture we want to see here at NGIC! We will always have complainers and unhappy people but I am fine with those same people coming out on Glass Door to complain - I think it just shows we are dedicated to those who belong here and giving them the right place to work!!

Great entry level position and opportunities for advancement

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

ProsAdvancement opportunities.
    Supportive management.
    Friendly and supportive co-workers.
    Good pay.
    Fast paced environment makes your day fly by.

ConsThe work itself, handling claims, can be very stressful. You have to have a thick skin and be able to not let customers effect you.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider lessening the work load for new employees, it can be very overwhelming.

Change is constant but a lot of good people moving toward a common goal

ProsFair pay with a lot of growth potential. Benefits are consistent with industry and private sector in general. Bonus program is weak.

ConsThe volume of change is significant and there is a lot of variation in how different work groups address the same tasks/jobs. There should be more consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on consistency and communication.

Worst Experience of my 10 year Professional Career - Stay Away!!

(Current Employee)
    Winston-Salem, NC

ProsSome of the employees (98% non-management currently) are truely good people. They will never realize how much they could do as a company, if they would just get out of the way of their employees and really try to put money/time towards investing IN the employees, not just for employees. Big difference. New computers that are still pretty bad isn't anything to write home about...

ConsAfter an interview where it is obvious that they just paint is as pretty as possible, it is very disheartening to see how this place really ticks. I've wasted my time, and left a great company in order to come here. If I could give it less than 1 star I really would.

I've had the opportunity to work with lots of different departments depending on what is going on, so lets cover the ones I have worked with...

Processing - Great group overall. Unfortunate thing is that you have a few that ruin it for the rest of them and their management is afraid to do anything about it...or just wont. Little room to grow with no general outlook for a career path unless you move into another department.

Claims - Some good stuff in general. They usually have to put up with a lot in general so they tend to leave eachother alone. Management staff is actually pretty good here except, the higher up you go in managers, the worse they get. Also, their claims management software is laughable at best. Has many problems as well as holes that cause it to be slow and hard to use at times. Was probably state of the art 15 years ago.They are talking about fixing it, but as it goes with this company...talk is just that...talk. Good area for working your way up from the bottom, if you don't getting your nose dirty. Also a good place to transfer out of.

HR - ...what HR? Paper pushers basically. Every now and then they will come by and look to see if you are in your desk on time and try to cause a stir, but that is about it. Most of the time they are slow to respond or return calls. They are nice too...to your face...there is unfortunately little in the way of personal information in this company culture. Way too much gossip for a unit that knows everything there is to know about someone. Also, finding out that something you told a manager to keep "secret" because of a it being a personal matter is always fun to see spread around the office as gossip.

IT - Actually feel bad for this group. They "work" so "hard" and then things keep breaking. Some very good eggs here and there, but when data that your project team requests takes a week and it comes in screwed up and not what you wanted (several times, once, so bad that we wondered if he had even read the request), it makes life hard. I heard they fired all the good people a few years back when they thought they set, but that also is their way (see Owners)..."Lean a company out until it can barely function, then complain and never really fix it." This is a "stay away" department from what I've seen.

Product/Pricing Department - This has got to be the most disfunctional group I've ever seen. There are definitely some good eggs (very few though), but there is more bad than good here. In what little I worked with them, I saw a lot. None of it very good at all. It felt extremely similar to a fraternity...the girls were talked about as if they were pieces of meat, rude and ugly jokes were made on a regular basis, and in one of the Product Areas, I observed of lots of turnover due to the management in place and a culture of what I understand is a "very bad management style" and "afraid of employees under them being better than they are". Almost all of this was seen on the Product side, not the analytics side. That Product side is 90% full of people that you want to just stay away from. It seems the management in this group has been in place for a while, which is odd. Usually problems and encouraged behaviors start at the top. I didn't get to work with the analytics side much but I was told that they aren't very respected and no one takes their data to heart because the PM's will just tell them to "fix" an indication to lean a certain way anyway. So from this, "stay away" from Product, "eh" with Analytics (its a good place to get some experience but have a backup plan waiting in your back pocket).

Everyone above VP level - These people...wow...it's like everyone in the room took a breath from the same oxygen tank that put them into a euphoric state before this meeting. Some of their ideas and thoughts were so far fetched that even they should know that this stuff just couldn't be done with the resources in place or that we just don't have. Also, add that I really think that some of them have a Masters in "Talking Over People." If they don't then they definitely took the intro class "I'm Yelling So What I Am Saying Is More Important 101."

Owners - These "mystery people" wouldn't surprise me if they were actually some sort of really old, out of date robots. No one ever sees them even when they are actually in the office, which happens once every red moon (darkness draws them out of their holes evidently). If one of them of them came to my house and offered to vaccuum it to showcase the new power of the updated electric motor utilizing tornado technology, I would say "Sure!!!" and let them in, because who is going to pass up a free vaccuum? Although, I would be surprise if they even knew how a vaccuum worked in general. Probably better to let the janitorial staff (that they let go to the point where the bathrooms get disgusting while running out of toilet paper and obvisouly don't get touched for days!!) handle it. It's scary that they never make appearances to employees. Superman didn't wear a mask, why should they wear invisibility cloaks? Leadership starts at the top, people! Uncloak this mystery! Reveal yourselves! Act like you care about something other than trying to get a massive margin!

So it is for these reasons that I am offering my resume in gold plated paper (there goes the savings account) to anyone who has an opening that I can get back outside of this company. I know life in the industry is better than this because I had it. I gave up better benefits, vacation days, company culture, and stability for a company that might one day be great, but will not be for the foreseeable future.

My 2 week notice can't come soon enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear most of the management house out and promote from within. Get over the whole, "We've been doing it this way for so long" thought process. I can see effort, but there are so many brick walls around it that you put up after talking it up so much. Please stop with the publicly traded company nonsense, too. Some of the biggest companies in the industry aren't publicly traded. Big deal. It's not like we are seeing many fruits of that labor. This new building we are moving into is cheaper than what we are paying now in rent, so you cannot say that is where the money is going. Also, please distribute some toilet paper to before the move, let me leave with my dignity.

Worked for National General Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National General Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National General Insurance CEO Byron Storms. All 159 reviews posted anonymously by National General Insurance employees.