National General Insurance

www.nationalgeneral.com

National General Insurance Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Byron Storms

Pros
  • There are some very hard working people at this company inspite of (you fill in the blank)(in 10 reviews)

• Pros - I work with some pretty great people(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you get stuck in the cross hairs of upper management or they decide they don't like you you're done(in 13 reviews)

• It is a problem when people get fired on a weekly basis and the HR people are all let go(in 6 reviews)

Overall it's a great place to work with good benefits!

ProsBenefits such as 401k matching, medical, dental, and vision benefits
    PTO (Pooled Time Off) is outstanding when compared to other competitors

ConsStill a level of uncertainty with the future of the Winston Salem & St. Louis offices. Currently most job openings are posted in the new Cleveland location which still makes the other locations a bit nervous about their future.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrastically Increase employee incentive plans to drive more cost saving ideas and build stronger loyalty with staff.

Not what it used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people you work in the trenches with are great. The compensation is fair until you figure out the hourly rate when they expect you to work 60+hours. Location was great.

ConsExpect to work 60-70 hours in claims. Had to pay for parking.

Just a number..

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsThe pay is great and the benefits are really good as well. At the location on 5th street there was a cafeteria plus you were in the heart of downtown Winston Salem so if you didn't want to eat at the cafeteria you had a lot of great options. There was a parking deck downtown as well so your car was out of the elements. They have since moved to a new location off University Parkway but I left before the move. The people there were amazing. I formed awesome friendships while I was employed there.

ConsYou're just a number. They push the metrics and the work load in unmanageable. My supervisor was not very personable and when I had issues going on I didn't feel like I could express them to him.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to help manage the workload. I know I wasn't the only one who cried on the way to work and cried at my desk and cried on the way home. And the reason I cried on the way home was because I knew I had to be back the next day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Insurance Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid company for a long time. Decent pay and benefits

ConsMoved operations out of state

Unprofessional atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThere are some really awesome people who work at the company. I personally will never forget them.

ConsReally competent and high quality people are made to feel small and incompetent by very small and incompetent management. The work load is bone crushing and employees are made to think that any day could be their last. It is a very toxic work environment. NGIC will not be around if it continues along this destructive path.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are basically incompetent. They act as though they are on your side in any given situation but the reality is if its them or you it will be you.

Don't ignore the negative reviews

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe hourly employees try hard and most of them truly care about their customers. There's a decent starting salary and lots of nice people.

ConsIf you get stuck in the cross hairs of upper management or they decide they don't like you you're done. If they don't find a reason to fire you, they'll micromanage you and do whatever it takes to make you unhappy so you leave. They make excuses for their own behavior and these excuses are accepted as ok.
    There's a real reason there are so many negative reviews of this company. If they tell you anything, believe the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the friendships and see the facts. Take a long look in the mirror.

The name of the game is favoritism

Claims Representative (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsIt is ok in the interview. Then that's it.

Cons. they fire adjusters who make the most money. They start by increasing the workload and soon zeroing out is unattainable. The Teams are switched constantly and state handling is never the same. All the managers have different ways Of handling file questions and there is no communication with upper management. It's about who you know --and who likes you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave someone else buy the company and move on...

Worst Place To Work Downtown

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsPros - I work with some pretty great people.

ConsCons - The constant turnover. I have been here over a year and this place LOVES to fire people. And I'm not just talking about Customer Service reps, I’m talking Processors, Claims Reps, Sales Reps, I’ve even seen some Supervisors and HR let go! They say they have an ‘open door’ policy but they’ll show you the ‘open door’ if you question upper management on anything. Lots of people here would love to voice their opinion but don’t because they’re afraid of backlash and know nothing will be done. One of my friends recently interviewed here a few months ago and she couldn’t believe that one of the main interviewer’s points was “we have no problem firing those who don’t work out.” Really? No wonder she didn’t accept the position.
    Upper Management - In Customer Service, it feels like this place is run by a high-school girls club. Most upper management is female (a few male supervisors) and they love to go out and smoke and talk about their weekend drinking, posting pictures on Instagram or Facebook. Don’t catch one of them on a bad day or give them a reason not to like you because they will micromanage you to death. The few supervisors that are nice seem afraid to be nice too often as other management will think they are weak and that means they will be micromanaged as well.
    Morale - It started to go downhill in the beginning of this year. Our floor is pretty fearful but it seems that’s what management wants. Now I am looking for a new job so I started looking at National General on this site compared to other insurance companies. What I found was that Progressive, Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and Geico ALL had higher ratings than National General:
    Progressive 3.4 CEO Approval 79%
    Farmers 2.9 CEO Approval 58%
    Geico 3.1 CEO Approval 81%
    Allstate 3.1 CEO Approval 46%
    State Farm 3.5 CEO Approval 83%
    NATIONAL GENERAL 2.7 CEO Approval 42%

I also found that NGIC had the most posts about disgruntled employees, upper management posting fake reviews, and was the only one where an HR director posted requesting more information. No wonder morale is so low here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice needed because it will fall on deaf ears.

Horrible Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are none; even if you get paid well, it is not worth the stress and loss of life you will have if you work here.

ConsManagement is unprofessional. They talk poorly behind others backs (especially the ones who work below them). Management is mentally abusive. They set unattainable expectations of work loads. Benefits are horrible and are for high premium. Company almost prides themselves of having a culture of yelling/scolding at subordinates and each other rather than leading.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage. Set efficient procedures and protocols. Communicate efficiently with staff. Things are continually changing but lack of communication keeps others from being aware of changes. Management needs to acknowledge and take responsibility for actions. Stop talking negatively about one another and start offering positive reinforcement. Many people (good people) have come and gone so quickly.

TERRIBLE!

Anonymous (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNone! Absolutely none! The hours were bad, the managers were terrible, the pay was low for the amount of crap you had to put up with.

ConsIf I could give less than 1 star I absolutely would. I guarantee any good reviews here all from management trying to save their reputation.
    Where do I start? This company is full of nothing but gossip and drama. People constantly spreading rumors and causing problems; including supervisors! I heard more supervisors talking about each other behind their backs than anything else.
    The system doesn't work and they expect you to b/s your way through explaining their bad business to customers. I would never get insurance with this company and I'm furious I spent 3 years of my life working for them. I work for a much better company now and I tell everyone I can to stay away from NGIC.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your systems and the way you treat your staff and your customers! You're more worried about making money and defending your reputation than the well being of your staff and customers which is essentially losing you money.

Worked for National General Insurance? Contribute to the Community!