National General Insurance

Updated January 19, 2015
2.8

National General Insurance President Byron Storms
Byron Storms

Pros
  • There are some very hard working people at this company inspite of (you fill in the blank) (in 13 reviews)

• Pros - I work with some pretty great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • If you get stuck in the cross hairs of upper management or they decide they don't like you you're done (in 14 reviews)

• Company has no vision and there is no long term planning (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked here for about everything year

Current Employee - MD TCR in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - MD TCR in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at National General Insurance

Pros

Teams and employees are great.

Cons

Insurance company is way behind and deals with very low limits policies. Workload is high and very high stress. Company looks to deny everyone so pretty much everyone you talk to gets pissed at you.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it....it's a lot like work

Current Employee - Claims Service Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Service Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at National General Insurance

Pros

Amazing teams. Great support from supervisors and manager. Encouraged and motivated. I have been with the company for almost five years. I don't know if some of the reviews are "planted" but the majority are pretty spot on. If you notice the "negative" review are from former employees and I wonder if they voiced their concerns during the exit interview which is encouraged. NatGen has had amazing growth and with that comes change and growing pains. Some people like it and some people don't. It is an great opportunity for people who are interest in insurance and mostly helping others. From Call Center to Claim Reps to IT... there are many positions to consider and a chance for you to go as far as you choose to. My opinion matters and so do I. I believe in NatGen .

Cons

During company functions we tend to gather with our own groups. I think it's mainly because we are creatures of habit.

Acquisitions can be great. Transitional time is awesome. Be all inclusive so that the departments that are directly affected have time to train and incorporate new business.

Slowly shifting into growth mode

Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at National General Insurance

Pros

Recent changes to organization to place IT under Shared Services senior management provide more opportunity for growth. Slowing moving from a sustain level resource management to a project / sustain resource management. This should provide more opportunities for growth for application development team. Company is in aggressive growth mode through acquisitions. New building creates a positive, fresh outlook.

Cons

IT department is in need of organizational structure. Recent growth surge has created space issues in new building. Hard to really list this as a Con.

Structure IT to provide growth opportunities.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, and they pay for your ins license.

Cons

1.) managers are phony and embellished earning potential
    2.) they told me they wanted "Rockstars." I've learned that means a knack for sales but NO autonomy.
    3.) You must be script oriented. The process us weak! I keep buyers on the phone to BUY and I don't relent. They are too worried about AHT and kissing up instead of being a KILLER on the phone. "Rockstars" or more appropriately described robots, are kept on short leashes.
    4.) I led the team in defiance of the manager's ineptitude, who cannot give closing tips, and was not awarded or given any special compensation.
    5.) I got my license...now I'm on my way to better things.
    6.) rates are significantly higher than competitors so closers have many cost objections that are valid while our ins company names are not known by the masses.
    7.) Parking in downtown Cleveland is crazy and expensive.

Stop micromanaging your moneymakers! Increase spiffs and bonus for true closers and the top performers. Don't lie during the interview. You want puppets, not RockStars!

Company has gone downhill in last few years

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the employees are nice And try their hardest to get through the crazy workload

Cons

the company is cheap and does not pay its employees up to industry standards. Turnaround is vey high

hire more people to avoid burnout and also keep you from loosing great employees to competitors

A Great place to start a career

Current Employee - MD TCR in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - MD TCR in Ontario, CA

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

An exciting and very fast paced environment that is always changing and evolving. Lots of opportunity for talent who can multitask and deliver solid service and quality results. A great environment where we learn from our opportunities and collaborate on solutions that benefit our customers, our teams, and the enterprise.

Cons

We are very solid team that is getting better every day and we will continue experience expansive growth and encounter many challenges along the way. For some this may be a challenge and for others this will be a very dynamic and motivating environment depending on perception and attitude.

Continue to move forward, learn, and grow.

Don't believe the other reviews- a great career if you are the right fit.

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance

Pros

A great work environment, if you ignore the petty workplace drama. The people who complain about the workload and unattainable metrics are the ones who spend three hours a day on breaks, or gossiping and complaining with coworkers. Most people start in claims as "entry level," and can build a career with minimal experience or education but let's admit it- claims work isn't for everyone. If you can't manage your time efficiently, and prioritize your workload, you won't make it anywhere.
    Pros-
    -a fairly laid-back office, nobody is uptight or stuffy.
    -management is easy to communicate with, a truly open-door staff
    -if you are effective at your job, you have a ton of autonomy
    -good starting pay and benefits
    -lots of opportunity to change departments, and lots of promotion from within
    -upper management acknowledges workplace issues, and at least pay lip service to making changes

Cons

The technology is outdated and makes work more difficult. Changes and updates have not made a significant difference.
    Processes and claims handling guidelines are changing constantly

Great place to work

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are nice and hard working. The pay is good and lots of vacation days.

Cons

Not all of the people are nice and hard working.

potential to be a great company but management needs work

Former Employee - MDTCR in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - MDTCR in Ontario, CA

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Experience in the industry, great coworkers, nice location, great hours, decent benefits, fair pay, acknowledgment for handwork, and paid vacation and holidays. It is a great job when you are straight out of college and used to making minimum wage, but you will have to work hard and learn QUICK. There are some really caring managers on the floor who want to see you succeed but getting on their team is really luck of the draw,

Cons

Management, specifically on the MD side. You have managers that are slow and take weeks to approve a letter, or days to approve a payment. You have managers telling you who to talk to and who not to "if you want to look good in the company and succeed." Other managers who openly bad mouth other managers. A major lack of communication and consistency between RCMs, and managers. Very metic driven, with little emphasis on customer service or employee retention. Little to no clear (and consistent) structure for growth or promotion. Too much politics, very cutthroat. If you speak up, there will more then likely be retaliation from you manager. RCMs know what managers are good and bad, but do nothing to fix the issue. Now not all managers here are that bad, but the ones that are really taint the entire departments image. Also training could be a lot better, spending 3 weeks in a training class that is riddled with system issues that prevent you from learning half the day. There needs to be more emphasis on how to be an actual claims handler. Sink or swim doesn't work for everyone.

Remove or retrain the managers who make up their own rules, lack professionalism, and are clearly incapable providing leadership skills desired in a manager. Stop with the false hope, and promises and just make the expectations clear and direct across the floor. When your employees have little trust in management personally and professionally, it is time to start re evaluating the situation. The potential to be a great company is there, but you have to work these issues out from the top down.

Seems to be a great place to work

I have been working at National General Insurance (more than a year)

Pros

Company is growing rapidly. Compensation is good.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a lot of the proper planning and communication to prepare for the company's growth. Benefits are not very good and are very costly.

Be more transparent as to the direction of the company so that personnel can plan for the required changes.

National General Insurance Photos