National Government Services

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sandra Miller

The company is a good, however the medicare department I not recommend, because there is talk the department may close.

Credential Specialist (Current Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at National Government Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is plenty of overtime, and flexible hours

ConsThe department I worked in was not concern with the safety of their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider discussing with supervisor how to handle employee bullying and threats.

Miserable place to be a contractor

I worked at National Government Services as a contractor

ProsThey have high standards for confidentiality.

ConsThey treat contractors like employees - expect you to be available 24/7 - but they don't respect the fact that you have no paid time off. They schedule you to be on call or to travel with no notice. I worked with a man who desperately needed anger management counseling.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow long term male employees to get away with sexism and other inappropriate behavior like constant swearing and dirty jokes. If a contractor behaved like some of your employees did they would be terminated immediately. Your double standard is amazing. Some people treat contractors like we are sub-human.

Software tester

I worked at National Government Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, at least when I was there.

ConsTerrible management, no continuing education or process improvement

Help Desk Tier 1

Help Desk Tier I (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at National Government Services full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat hours for the work schedule, including weekends used for overtime

ConsA lot of information to learn

Used to be a good place to work.

Audit and Reimbursement Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at National Government Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are very good. The pay is reasonable. Good group of people to work with. A lot of training provided when staff available to train.

ConsNew contract not bid correctly for the amount of work to be completed. Computer system crashes and work is lost or delayed. Very stressful place to work.

Want a stress-free and work/life balance life: do not work here!

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at National Government Services full-time for less than a year

ProsReceiving benefits from the parent company: WellPoint. That's the only positive thing about working here at NGS!

Cons- Lots of work! No work/life balance if you work here!
- Compensation does NOT equal all precious time you spent on the job! YOU WORK MORE THAN YOU ARE COMPENSATED!
- No established procedures. No formal training. You are on your own and expected to know every thing from the get-go!!!
- Bad immediate supervisor!
- Extremely bad leadership!!!
- Bad group leaders! They might be good at what they are doing but they got no clue about management!
- No wonder the turnover rate here is EXTREMLY HIGH!!!

IN SUMMARY: if you love your life, do NOT work here!

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management and favortism are a "NO - NO" policy for any work environment!

Good company to work for if you can handle the possibility of getting laid off if a contract is lost.

Refund Investigator (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits are good and the ability to get a good work life balance is nice. Management is approachable and easy to get along with.

ConsJobs are unstable because they depend on government contracts getting renewed. Recent job cuts and layoffs have cut down on advancement opportunities. High competition for government contracts is putting pressure on the company to keep the pay low.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your customer base away from government contracting. Be willing to pay for talent.

They do not practice what they preach

Nurse Medical Management (Former Employee)

I worked at National Government Services

Prosnot hard work physically, don't work up a sweat

ConsEmpty promises to keep you pumping and making the numbers look good. Management gets the credit, but it's the associates who did the work. Do not follow through with promises of bonuses or promotions

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach

Sorry upper management decision making in a post medicare reform world.

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at National Government Services

ProsSomewhat competitive benefits. Great PTO program if it lasts. A few outstanding managers and employees still work there, but who knows how long they'll last.

ConsUpper management is completely disconnected with staff and each other. Numerous costly, redundant and duplicated projects initiated due to lack of cohesive and uniform inter-departmental decision making. Each department seems to be "on an island" planning projects, backed by uninvolved and self-centered department heads who find it easier to just ok something rather than analyze and evaluate the financial and business needs of the company. How do you compensate for this incompetence and the lost revenue? Layoffs of course! Once again, taking the easy road..

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together! Talk to other department heads and figure out what's going on in their world. Maybe lose the ego and accept some advice from your staff. Take that refresher accounting class. Get the company lean and learn how to run a financially sound and competetive business. Win contracts through innovation and hard work. Don't shed jobs to cover up for incompetance.

Great experience.

Louisville, KY

I worked at National Government Services

ProsGreat compensation and benefits, including plenty of PTO. Company has a great culture. Communication between management and associates is strong.

ConsIn the new MAC environment, competition is tough. The company's record for winning/retaining business could be better. Uncertainity of future government contracts makes for a very stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage leadership at National Government Services to look for new business opportunities outside of the limited MAC contracts.

Worked for National Government Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Government Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Government Services CEO Sandra Miller. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by National Government Services employees.