National Government Services

Updated April 12, 2015
27 reviews filtered by
2.0
Sandra Miller

Horrible management, unorganized and unfortunately lots of favoritism

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services

Pros

Flexible hours, great location, work from home opportunities

Cons

Unorganized and office politics galore

2. Field Support Analyst

I worked at National Government Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent working environment, Good opportunity for a better position within the company.

Cons

Contract work, offices often consolidating and relocating.

3. Run as fast as you can to stay away from this place.

Former Contractor - Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at National Government Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay.
    Plenty of work to keep you busy.
    Challenging and interesting work.
    Nice people.
    Work from home.
    Casual dress code.
    Great benefits for full time associates.

Cons

Unreasonable hours regardless if you’re a contractor or a full time associate.
    Being asked to work weekends and/or nights without advance notice and without regard to personal plans you may have.
    You are expected to put work before your personal life. Everybody does it, including management. It’s just the nature of NGS.
    When I worked there, one time a few of us were asked on a Thursday afternoon to work the coming weekend to meet a deadline. When I told my boss that I had a conflict because I had personal plans for that weekend, my boss told me it was OK if I couldn’t work, but he said I had to find a co-worker that would work the weekend for me instead. This put me in a very uncomfortable position, and I ended up working that weekend and canceling plans with my family because I didn’t want to ask a co-worker to work in my place. Needless to say, I ended up quitting my job at NGS a few months after that. I don’t think I had one person in my family ask me why I quit. They all understood. If you have kids, family and/or a significant other who you spend time with, I do not recommend you work here. Don’t let the amount of money they offer to pay you convince you otherwise. It’s just not worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting people to put work before their personal lives. Just because this is government contract work, doesn’t mean that it’s the most important work on the planet. Stop exploiting H-1B visa workers. These people have lives too. Just because they don’t complain or push back as often as a permanent resident or US citizen might, it doesn’t mean they aren’t tired, overworked or unhappy.

5. Bad work environment

Current Employee - Credentialing in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Credentialing in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Location is right off the highway.

Cons

Terrible support from leadership. Seniors and business analyst knows less than some of the lower level staff. Privider enrollment is in complete disarray. New management has no clue.

Advice to Management

Make changes that will make a difference, instead of groups. You are harboring stagnation. Medicare is evolving and you are still working like its 1995.

Stressful working environment in the IT department

I have been working at National Government Services full-time

Pros

-Great benefits
    -competitive pay
    -lots of PTO
    -lots of work at home capability

Cons

- not enough staffing to support the work needed; people are over allocated
    -senior management does not seem to care about lack of resources
    -lack of clear direction from management
    -no work at home policy (I list this as a pro and a con. While its great to be able to work from home whenever I want, people abuse the privilege. There is hardly anyone in the office and it does not promote a collaborative environment. There is a definite lack in a sense of 'team' or 'teamwork' in the office)

7. IT Time for change

Current Employee - Developer II Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Developer II Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services

Pros

Pay
    Being a contractor to earn hourly pay
    Work From Home
    Good Benefits

Cons

The IT organization is a miserable place to be a part of. Upper management has a mentality of do it now with everything. No regard or understanding of what is involved or work life balance. Things have been on the decline significantly in the last six months and major key resources with Superior knowledge have left. Those who remain are those that could not survive elsewhere or are the managers who don't have the ability to do the work and schedule meetings and hire new unqualified resources. The president is out of touch with how bad the IT organization has become and what talent they have lost.

Advice to Management

The truth lies with those who have left the organization not those that remain. Surveying those that remain will only yield what you want to hear as there are a fear for their jobs. IT management needs to be restructured and change and full time talent needs to be restored and valued over contractors who are utilized too heavily while others work OT with not benefit. Also technical leadership with modern day talents are desired not those who never have done the work or may have 30 years ago.

I stayed too long in hopes it would change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Government Services

Pros

Work at home is the best reason to be here.
    Most employees are friendly.
    Note this company has multiple types of work, hence many reviews of good and bad. Based on location, they are accurate. Some locations are much better than others, just as some are managed better than other departments.

Cons

Little chance for growth.
    Concerns and complaints stop at management.
    Improvements in systems are lackluster or non-existent, leaving IT programs to frequently crash.
    Very poor communication.
    Inadequate number of employees for the department. Some departments have been running short on full time employees for years leaving others to be overworked and stressed.
    Very little training for your position.
    Benefits keep decreasing
    Pay is average/sub-par to competitors
    Stop threatening employees with pay and bonus cuts in order to make them produce more work.

Advice to Management

Training is needed, clear guidelines and work instructions need to be present.
    Management needs to communicate and respond.
    Plan ahead for projects and have appropriate resources available.
    Hire more employees instead of working at a deficit and expecting them to do more.

Avoid the IT department

Former Contractor - IT Contractor
    Former Contractor - IT Contractor

I worked at National Government Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay as a contractor was pretty good. I was able to work extra hours on occasion and they were pretty flexible with time off and allowed some remote work.

Cons

Classic example of promoting people for the wrong reasons. Many many examples of people in management and technical roles who are horribly unqualified for their jobs. Don't get fired for 20 years and you can be someone's boss someday regardless of if you know what you are doing or not. As a result they depend on repetition of "the way we have always done it" rather than an understanding of the task at hand. Asking questions is frowned on because no one knows the answers and the old timers don't really understand their responsibilities well enough to discuss them. Lower level managers don't understand what is going on so they avoid making decisions and schedule more meeting. I've never seen management so afraid of committing to anything. Upper level managers also don't understand what is going on, but apparently don't realize it so they call the shots with blinders on. People are forced to laugh so as not to cry about the things that are handed down to them. People at all levels routinely joke about the ridiculousness of the various irrational decisions they are tasks with carrying out.

Their practices of hiring contractors to avoid hiring employees is short sited, unethical and abusive. They usually pay contractors reasonably well, but treat them poorly. They offered me a full time position, but it was only about half of what I was making as a contractor. Talented people are attracted by contractor money, gain knowledge of the organization and accumulate responsibilities until they can't stand the place anymore and leave. The IT leadership from the top down is terrible. People with marketable skills leave at their first chance. They are hemorrhaging knowledgeable staff so what remains is usually, but not always, mediocre or worse.

Priorities are set by complaints to senior leadership and are constantly changing. Decisions are by default made without enough information from the technical staff so they are usually bad. They rarely account for the reality of the technologies involved and the foreseeable hurdles ahead. Arbitrary and uninformed deadlines are the norm. Planning is basically pointless since all projects are at the whim of the biggest whiners and IT upper management. Everything is top priority and must be done now.

In short, if you have other options, I'd avoid this place.

Advice to Management

Start developing and keeping talented technical people and decent managers. Inform yourself of situations before making decisions. Anyone who has been there more than 5 years probably needs to be looked at pretty closely to see if they are even remotely qualified to do their job.

Hate it!

I have been working at National Government Services

Pros

No pros at all i hated working there! But pay was great

Cons

All cons supervisors suck. They just just throw you no the floor and hope you understand. No good training at all

IT Misery loves company

Current Employee - Developer Senior Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Developer Senior Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services

Pros

Paycheck, benefits, and AIP for surviving a year

Cons

No work-life balance, poor IT management from the top down, inflicting fear of getting fired, good staff leaving and no one cares to stop and look at why. Contractors get paid hourly while salary employees work long hours, weekends and the company bills the government.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, don't add management layers that only make things worse and dont improve the organization.