National Government Services

Reset
2.3
Sandra Miller

1. Auditor 1

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great people to work with, team oriented.

Cons

Work can be repetitive and meetings and training can go too long

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Appeals
    Former Employee - Appeals

I worked at National Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. Terrible terrible place to work.

Cons

Sherrill and Susan are horrible

Advice to Management

Fire Susan and Sherrill. They are running the company into the ground.

3. overall great place to work

I have been working at National Government Services full-time

Pros

there is room for advancement but opportunities are limited. NGS is a government contrator so the contract you work on could be lost leaving you to try to transfer to another contract. This has happend to me several time in 14 years but the company does try to retain and place good employees in other jobs. Good benefits and pay.

Cons

It is a division of Anthem and it can be difficult to make the change to the commercial side if you want to advance within the larger company. Sandra Miller is no longer the CEO -

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and increase communication between departments

Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Government Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits. The benefits were the only "pro" for this company.

Cons

The position I interviewed for was completely different than the actual position I was asked to perform for this company. Also, the manager didn't have a clear idea as to what he wanted when it came to the job. The person who was supposed to be my immediate lead was in a different location and didn't want to be bothered with questions via the phone, electing to talk only through the NGS Instant Messaging system and through email. I was asked to do things I told both managers, in my interview, that I wasn't strong at. When I asked for clarification as to what it was the manager actually wanted, he wasn't able to answer, other than "he would know it when he sees it." When I asked my immediate supervisor for help, he told me that his phone wasn't working. He would also only email me back and CC the manager. When I didn't receive any clear direction, I had a meeting with the manager who then told me to come up with a "Plan of Action" as to how I was to proceed going forward? How am I supposed to formulate a plan of action when I'm being asked to do things I clearly stated I wasn't strong in and without the manager being able to articulate what it is he exactly wants? The level of professionalism , at least in the Baltimore, MS (outside of Baltimore actually) is sorely lacking. If you are thinking of working for this company, you may want weigh your other options.

Advice to Management

Management needs to give clear direction to their employees and overall, treat their employees better overall. how can an employee do their job without clear direction and no support to speak of when they, understandably, flounder.

Customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Health insurance Hours 830-5 m-f

Cons

This is a ridiculous company. They don't give you PTO so your checks will be short of anything comes up. The call volume is high and the providers that call are rude. They expect you to do so much and know too much for what they are paying.

Advice to Management

Better pay Better training on just the skills needed

7. Field Support Analyst

I worked at National Government Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent working environment, Good opportunity for a better position within the company.

Cons

Contract work, offices often consolidating and relocating.

Horrible management, unorganized and unfortunately lots of favoritism

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Flexible hours, great location, work from home opportunities

Cons

Unorganized and office politics galore

9. Bad work environment

Current Employee - Credentialing in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Credentialing in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Location is right off the highway.

Cons

Terrible support from leadership. Seniors and business analyst knows less than some of the lower level staff. Privider enrollment is in complete disarray. New management has no clue.

Advice to Management

Make changes that will make a difference, instead of groups. You are harboring stagnation. Medicare is evolving and you are still working like its 1995.

Stressful working environment in the IT department

I have been working at National Government Services full-time

Pros

-Great benefits -competitive pay -lots of PTO -lots of work at home capability

Cons

- not enough staffing to support the work needed; people are over allocated -senior management does not seem to care about lack of resources -lack of clear direction from management -no work at home policy (I list this as a pro and a con. While its great to be able to work from home whenever I want, people abuse the privilege. There is hardly anyone in the office and it does not promote a collaborative environment. There is a definite lack in a sense of 'team' or 'teamwork' in the office)

11. IT Time for change

Current Employee - Developer II Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Developer II Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Pay Being a contractor to earn hourly pay Work From Home Good Benefits

Cons

The IT organization is a miserable place to be a part of. Upper management has a mentality of do it now with everything. No regard or understanding of what is involved or work life balance. Things have been on the decline significantly in the last six months and major key resources with Superior knowledge have left. Those who remain are those that could not survive elsewhere or are the managers who don't have the ability to do the work and schedule meetings and hire new unqualified resources. The president is out of touch with how bad the IT organization has become and what talent they have lost.

Advice to Management

The truth lies with those who have left the organization not those that remain. Surveying those that remain will only yield what you want to hear as there are a fear for their jobs. IT management needs to be restructured and change and full time talent needs to be restored and valued over contractors who are utilized too heavily while others work OT with not benefit. Also technical leadership with modern day talents are desired not those who never have done the work or may have 30 years ago.

RSS Feed </> Embed