National Government Services

Updated January 9, 2015
Updated January 9, 2015
2.4

Sandra Miller

Stressful working environment in the IT department

I have been working at National Government Services full-time

Pros

-Great benefits
    -competitive pay
    -lots of PTO
    -lots of work at home capability

Cons

- not enough staffing to support the work needed; people are over allocated
    -senior management does not seem to care about lack of resources
    -lack of clear direction from management
    -no work at home policy (I list this as a pro and a con. While its great to be able to work from home whenever I want, people abuse the privilege. There is hardly anyone in the office and it does not promote a collaborative environment. There is a definite lack in a sense of 'team' or 'teamwork' in the office)

Avoid the IT department

Former Employee - IT Contractor
    Former Employee - IT Contractor

I worked at National Government Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay as a contractor was pretty good. I was able to work extra hours on occasion and they were pretty flexible with time off and allowed some remote work.

Cons

Classic example of promoting people for the wrong reasons. Many many examples of people in management and technical roles who are horribly unqualified for their jobs. Don't get fired for 20 years and you can be someone's boss someday regardless of if you know what you are doing or not. As a result they depend on repetition of "the way we have always done it" rather than an understanding of the task at hand. Asking questions is frowned on because no one knows the answers and the old timers don't really understand their responsibilities well enough to discuss them. Lower level managers don't understand what is going on so they avoid making decisions and schedule more meeting. I've never seen management so afraid of committing to anything. Upper level managers also don't understand what is going on, but apparently don't realize it so they call the shots with blinders on. People are forced to laugh so as not to cry about the things that are handed down to them. People at all levels routinely joke about the ridiculousness of the various irrational decisions they are tasks with carrying out.

Their practices of hiring contractors to avoid hiring employees is short sited, unethical and abusive. They usually pay contractors reasonably well, but treat them poorly. They offered me a full time position, but it was only about half of what I was making as a contractor. Talented people are attracted by contractor money, gain knowledge of the organization and accumulate responsibilities until they can't stand the place anymore and leave. The IT leadership from the top down is terrible. People with marketable skills leave at their first chance. They are hemorrhaging knowledgeable staff so what remains is usually, but not always, mediocre or worse.

Priorities are set by complaints to senior leadership and are constantly changing. Decisions are by default made without enough information from the technical staff so they are usually bad. They rarely account for the reality of the technologies involved and the foreseeable hurdles ahead. Arbitrary and uninformed deadlines are the norm. Planning is basically pointless since all projects are at the whim of the biggest whiners and IT upper management. Everything is top priority and must be done now.

In short, if you have other options, I'd avoid this place.

Start developing and keeping talented technical people and decent managers. Inform yourself of situations before making decisions. Anyone who has been there more than 5 years probably needs to be looked at pretty closely to see if they are even remotely qualified to do their job.

Hate it!

I have been working at National Government Services

Pros

No pros at all i hated working there! But pay was great

Cons

All cons supervisors suck. They just just throw you no the floor and hope you understand. No good training at all

I stayed too long in hopes it would change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Government Services

Pros

Work at home is the best reason to be here.
    Most employees are friendly.
    Note this company has multiple types of work, hence many reviews of good and bad. Based on location, they are accurate. Some locations are much better than others, just as some are managed better than other departments.

Cons

Little chance for growth.
    Concerns and complaints stop at management.
    Improvements in systems are lackluster or non-existent, leaving IT programs to frequently crash.
    Very poor communication.
    Inadequate number of employees for the department. Some departments have been running short on full time employees for years leaving others to be overworked and stressed.
    Very little training for your position.
    Benefits keep decreasing
    Pay is average/sub-par to competitors
    Stop threatening employees with pay and bonus cuts in order to make them produce more work.

Training is needed, clear guidelines and work instructions need to be present.
    Management needs to communicate and respond.
    Plan ahead for projects and have appropriate resources available.
    Hire more employees instead of working at a deficit and expecting them to do more.

IT Misery loves company

Current Employee - Developer Senior Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Developer Senior Sensitive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services

Pros

Paycheck, benefits, and AIP for surviving a year

Cons

No work-life balance, poor IT management from the top down, inflicting fear of getting fired, good staff leaving and no one cares to stop and look at why. Contractors get paid hourly while salary employees work long hours, weekends and the company bills the government.

Open your eyes, don't add management layers that only make things worse and dont improve the organization.

Great company to work for and advance in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Government Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great leadership, good upward mobility, work from home common

Cons

salary could use a little boost

try to improve beginning salaries

Working at NGS, overall, has been a very positive experience.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative II in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative II in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

The Company Culture does seem to be more Employee oriented.

Cons

The mundane corporate stuff is still very much in place, which gets real old over time.

Systems and processes could be updated and consolidated to be less annoying and more effective.

Medicare Audit and Reimbursement

Former Employee - Audit and Reimbursement Auditor in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Audit and Reimbursement Auditor in Manchester, NH

I worked at National Government Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Poor morale due to poor management.

I can't give very much advice to management that is poor and doesn't expect to improve.

The company is a good, however the medicare department I not recommend, because there is talk the department may close.

Current Employee - Credential Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Credential Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

There is plenty of overtime, and flexible hours

Cons

The department I worked in was not concern with the safety of their employees

Consider discussing with supervisor how to handle employee bullying and threats.

Miserable place to be a contractor

I worked at National Government Services as a contractor

Pros

They have high standards for confidentiality.

Cons

They treat contractors like employees - expect you to be available 24/7 - but they don't respect the fact that you have no paid time off. They schedule you to be on call or to travel with no notice. I worked with a man who desperately needed anger management counseling.

Don't allow long term male employees to get away with sexism and other inappropriate behavior like constant swearing and dirty jokes. If a contractor behaved like some of your employees did they would be terminated immediately. Your double standard is amazing. Some people treat contractors like we are sub-human.