National Grid USA

National Grid USA Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday

Steve Holliday

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good pay, good benefits, productive environment"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited upper management growth without having to relocate"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Unstable, change in senior management every 2 yrs, consultants are in every department replacing full time employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great

Prosexcellent company great work culture

ConsNone great company very nice environment

Doesn't care about employees

House Heating Clk F/T (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsHigh salary jobs, there're are union jobs available and good benefits

ConsNo employee morale, most times you get overworked because they refuse to hire more employees, almost no growth opportunities because they hire from outside to pay them less..

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees especially ones in the lower bands stop taking employee morale programs away like a quiet room in the break room, yoga classes, occasional lunches or dinners, etc

Run, run far away

Manager Digital (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsI really could not find any Pros. Total chaos and confusion. I'm not kidding, I was shocked.

ConsMy paychecks were never correct, they lost all of my information and i had to resubmit all of my paperwork again just to get paid. I did not receive any pay in November :( My kids benefits were dropped for 2 months, i only found out when the Orthodontist bills were denied. No leadership and no goals. I did not appear that anyone new what was going on. C level employees were confused as to the goals of the company, as was I.

Advice to Senior ManagementI truly wish i had some advice for you...good luck!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced, collaborative, and inclusive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues are always willing to lend a hand, no matter their current situation.

ConsOccasionally, one may feel as though their responsibilities are not quite related to their expertise and education.

Stable, tough for upward mobility

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsStable company to work for

ConsTough to get promotions at this company

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to strong internal candidates and not to external candidates

Great company culture

Transformation Project Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe company maintains a healthy work environment focused on professionalism and great customer service. Management is customer focused and fiercely diligent about regulatory and safety requirements. Training, learning and development are also significantly promoted among the ranks.

ConsRe organization efforts disrupted the culture. Decreased morale was and continues to be a necessary by-product.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to manage change by encouraging employees to stay abreast of the times, sharpen their skills and take ownership of their careers.

I do not complain, but share owners come before employee.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Worcester, MA

ProsStill stable job (can't say much about Waltham since i do not work there). There are still older employees working there with the old mentality, but it is changing as time goes by.

ConsIt is more about money than anything else.

Friendly working environment.

Student Intern (Former Employee)
    Syracuse, NY

ProsI was working as a student intern in the company. People there are very proud of their work and very helpful. I can learn a lot from my co-workers from various disciplines.
    Very good training process for new employees.

ConsThe work is kind of similar from day to day, no of much inovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementA very good manager. I don't have suggestions.

Great company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsUnion protection, benefits, wonderful people. I was only there for a contract position but I had a chance to view the atmosphere and general opinions of the employees. Although people sometimes moan and groan, they all realized how they enjoyed working there. It was evident by how many years they were there.

ConsYou will have to work holidays and the night shift at the beginning.

Sweatshop passing itself off as a ulility company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Syracuse, NY

ProsIf you were Niagara Mohawk (National Grid bought them out) it's a fine and dandy place to work for as you're part of something referred to as a 'blue contract' where you have guaranteed raises, bonuses etc. You do very little work (not what I aspired to but resent ANYONE not doing their work let alone those get EVERYTHING better than me and then expecting me to do theirs on top of mine as well) and just collect a huge salary.

Cons'Gold Contract' aka sweatshop contract. A separate contract you're submitted to even thought it's not a closed shop whereby you're due increase $2 plus every year and your benefit nor does your pay increase. Paying to park there. Being harrassed and forced to do other department's job on top of your own because they fire said dept's staff so they can save themselves the salaries. Being told they have the money to give you a raise but 'you're not worth it.' I could go on and on. National Grid should be shut down for all the labor laws they break but they seem to believe they're above such laws - or ANY laws for that matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company back to an American investor and either act like human beings that treat employees' as such or just close up show and let some decent real company provide the gas and heAT.

Worked for National Grid USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Grid USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by National Grid USA employees.