National Grid USA Reviews

Reset
3.1
National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday
Steve Holliday

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay if you've worked there a long time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited upper management growth without having to relocate (in 5 reviews)

• Huge trust issue between union and management (in 7 reviews)

1. Valuing employees thru inclusion and diversity -- showing EVERYBODY the door

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

Large company with many facets and lots of ideas. Lots of potential projects to work on with a variety of skills.

Cons

Management treats employees as disposable items that can be replaced at will. When you treat people like paper cups the results will eventually show...and it will cost you more.

Advice to Management

Look at the people who have contributed to the success of the company and you will see the same people that you are outsourcing.

Welcome to the Unsustainable!

Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

People usually do not get fired unless they do something REALLY stupid, which means that you will be able to put bread on the table if worse comes to worse...

Cons

Only a politician can get ahead here. Quality of the work done is only secondary in importance. At this Company, the rich get richer, while individual performers, who do 99% of the work are treated like crap. Raises have been non existent and the bonus structure is set up in a way that he more you make in your base salary, the exponentially higher your bonus potential is. This means that for an average individual contributor, busting his or her behind for a whole year vs doing the bare minimum usuall results in a pay difference of about $1,000 before taxes. HR is completely incompetent and runs the place, with no imput from Management usually allowed. Management who are high enough to take them on do not do it since they are very content (due to high salaries) and do not want to jeopardize their careers to do what's right. People hired off the street usually make MUCH more than individualls who are in the same position within the Company. Many have left and come back on several ocasions, just to get a huge raise for doing the same job they did before they left a year ago. The company is full of non-value adding departments and individuals, including Operations Performance, Continuous Improvement and all sorts of specialists. Most of these specialists (who have Business degrees) are "lead" specialists, putting them into a higher Bonus bracket than that of a Senior Engineer. All these people do is run useless meetings and look at spreadhseets, without knowing anyhting about the business. This is just the tip of the Iceberg...it's good that electricity knows where to flow!

Advice to Management

Please, please, please sell the Company! Things could not possibly get any worse than they are right now! This is not sustainable!

Frustrating

Current Employee - Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

Friendly workforce and flexible hours.

Cons

non competitive pay, big company -that is very slow moving.

Advice to Management

The Golden Rule

Use them then lose them

Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

Good people, lots of challenges

Cons

You are a pawn to be used then discarded

It used to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

The employees are mostly hard working and know their business. Salary is middle of the road, by design. They make up with benefits, matching 401K and cash balance pension.

Cons

The company is currently down sizing 1,200 management employees in the US. Along with the downsizing they are outsourcing the IT organization. It appears as if the UK management is getting ready to sell the company in pieces.

Advice to Management

Sell the US business and be done with it. Worry more about the people and they will take care of the business. You are the reason why employees are not loyal to the company any more.

OK until they outsourced us

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

Out sourcing all of IT. Justification...after 3 straight record profit years...outsourcing to protect future profits..It's called Greed....thank god i'm out...

Cons

outsourcing to india......Clueless management now joined with a clueless work force..match made in heaven

Advice to Management

SELL

The majority of the Co-workers / staff are great . Senior level management on the other hand.... horrible

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Northborough, MA

I worked at National Grid USA

Pros

The co-workers / overall staff are great people. The pay and benifits , decent.

Cons

No clear direction from senior level Mgmt. Although they make profits each year it was decided to outsource IS. Slashing jobs and outsourcing is all they seem to know how to do.

Advice to Management

It would be cheaper and more productive to outsource YOU !!

Run Forest, Run!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are still some good folks working around. Not sure if there are any pros other that this. Well .. unless you are a young, ambitious female so Women in Network (WiN) could help you advance even if you don't have a clue.

Cons

1) Someone here said - location?! This person must be leaving in the hotel across the street. Otherwise, you waste you life stuck on Rt. 128. The executives moved the US HQ to this high profile building ignoring the human cost. Since then they lost (maybe intentionally) lot of seasoned staff and had to adopt the flextime which someone else here so praised. 2) New management promoted despite their incompetence, inexperience and lack of respect among co-workers. Demoralized old staff and bunch of newly hired college kids under such leadership = Power of Action!

Advice to Management

they don't listen anyway...

Sweatshop passing itself off as a ulility company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you were Niagara Mohawk (National Grid bought them out) it's a fine and dandy place to work for as you're part of something referred to as a 'blue contract' where you have guaranteed raises, bonuses etc. You do very little work (not what I aspired to but resent ANYONE not doing their work let alone those get EVERYTHING better than me and then expecting me to do theirs on top of mine as well) and just collect a huge salary.

Cons

'Gold Contract' aka sweatshop contract. A separate contract you're submitted to even thought it's not a closed shop whereby you're due increase $2 plus every year and your benefit nor does your pay increase. Paying to park there. Being harrassed and forced to do other department's job on top of your own because they fire said dept's staff so they can save themselves the salaries. Being told they have the money to give you a raise but 'you're not worth it.' I could go on and on. National Grid should be shut down for all the labor laws they break but they seem to believe they're above such laws - or ANY laws for that matter.

Advice to Management

Sell the company back to an American investor and either act like human beings that treat employees' as such or just close up show and let some decent real company provide the gas and heAT.

11. Run, run far away

Former Employee - Manager Digital in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Manager Digital in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really could not find any Pros. Total chaos and confusion. I'm not kidding, I was shocked.

Cons

My paychecks were never correct, they lost all of my information and i had to resubmit all of my paperwork again just to get paid. I did not receive any pay in November :( My kids benefits were dropped for 2 months, i only found out when the Orthodontist bills were denied. No leadership and no goals. I did not appear that anyone new what was going on. C level employees were confused as to the goals of the company, as was I.

Advice to Management

I truly wish i had some advice for you...good luck!

RSS Feed </> Embed