National Grid USA

National Grid USA Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday

Steve Holliday

Pros:
  • "Money, location, interesting work, good work life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good pay if you've worked there a long time"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited upper management growth without having to relocate"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Unstable, change in senior management every 2 yrs, consultants are in every department replacing full time employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods

ConsMany employees have been there a long time, so it may be difficult to advance

Very good salaries and benefits

I worked at National Grid USA full-time

ProsAbove average salaries as well as excellent benefits

ConsThe company has grown to large.
"The tail wags the dog"... syndrome.
Limited upper management growth without having to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what they preach, employees are supposedly as important as the investors!

Why power costs so much...

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can sit on Facebook, do personal banking in front of supervisors, sit on g-chat and basically have no expectations from management as everyone here is either replaceable or replaceable but unfireable due to a union that has implemented mandatory breaks for people in administrative positions (why they need a break from sitting at a desk is beyond me). You can also leave in the middle of the day if you are stressed, not having a great day, don't feel like working or any other reason I have observed; alternatively you can also spend the remainder of the day talking and not doing work. There is also no expectation of getting work done; this is a combination of everyone knowing the person they are working with is dumb and can be blamed for delays or just not caring and making excuses to not do it or blaming consultants. They love to complain about consultants here which is ironic as they are here to clean up after the actual workers (see other comments) who suck at their jobs.

ConsYou kind of feel guilty taking money from a public utility company if you have any concept of work and responsibility, unfortunately their is a distinct lack of any idea what those concepts are. As a result you literally feel dumber as you are forced to interact with these troglodytes. You also feel bad when people complain about heating or electric bills because you know it could probably be reduced by 90% if competent people were responsible for its procurement and delivery.

Advice to Senior ManagementIs it possible to replace an entire office work force? Can you get rid of the incompetence known as union labor? You literally have consultants waiting to redo the work of union employees because the union employees are that dumb.

Accounting dept

Accounting Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time for less than a year

ProsRecent overhaul of senior management- they listen, care and are making a difference- it's not hierarchical
Dynamic, you can make a difference
Interesting work, different issues arise daily
Collaborative
Good benefits eg company gym, healthcare
Can get paid less to get more vacation

ConsLots of consultants "helping" - seems they are part of the problems- they were here before the accounting clean up, so it makes no sense they are "helping" clean up the accounts when they caused the issues

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the consultants- and sue them for the shoddy job they did with SAP implementation

Contract Project

I worked at National Grid USA as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPay match the work load

ConsTraining a large workforce had it's challenges (Minimum issues related around capturing the correct employees)

Chaotic

I have been working at National Grid USA

ProsGreat company. I loved my co-workers and my supervisors. Pay is good.

ConsOutdated is a understatement. Huge trust issue between union and management. Lack of

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to some of the complaints workers have a lot of them are simple fixes which would probably increase efficiency. ALSO follow through with plans of improvement... union doesn't trust you guys because you either take to long to follow through or take a dramatic change in direction.

I lost my faith in mankind

I worked at National Grid USA full-time

ProsI really could not find any

ConsThey just cannot get anything right.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and maybe the company will stand a chance. Be honest, you are the problem.

Cons > Pros

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

ProsStable work environment, free gym. flexible hours

ConsBusy during summer, slow IT responds, poor internal control, people don't take their work seriously.

Use to be as if you were working with family members until CSC took over. All downhill from there.

Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee)
Hicksville, NY

I worked at National Grid USA as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsCan't think of any now. There are no Pros working for CSC.

ConsNo job security. You had to kiss ass ALOT. Management has NO CLUE what they are doing. Communication is only one way. You are treated like a second rate slave and the pay rate is inadequate. If you are a seasoned veteran, start looking for work right away because your days are numbered. You are to old to be working for CSC and they are preparing to let you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what your job entails and then manage. Seriously consider advise which is given by those you are managing. They KNOW the pulse of the company better than you ever will.

Awesome experience! Worked as an intern, and fell in love with the company.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome people, and everyone was willing to help me with any thing I needed. The company does a lot for the interns, and don't just treat them like cheap labor

ConsI don't have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementVery friendly. I always felt comfortable going to my boss for anything, and they were very patient and understanding.

Worked for National Grid USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Grid USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by National Grid USA employees.