National Grid USA Reviews

Reset
3.1
National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday
Steve Holliday

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay if you've worked there a long time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited upper management growth without having to relocate (in 5 reviews)

• Huge trust issue between union and management (in 7 reviews)

Category Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time/ work from home option and overall benefits package. Offered good training opportunities.

Cons

Solid performance is not rewarded through comparable compensation. Performance management is done by members of the organization who in some cases have no professional relationship to you. Everything is all about "perceived" performance and heresay. A tendency of HR to look the other way. Too many fall guys for upper management's poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Maintain consistency in your organizational goals

2. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Analyst in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having a job that gives you a feeling of responsibility and accountability makes you feel like an important part of the team.

Cons

Working in a culture where it can be union vs. management can be stressful and tense to deal with. This leads to a tough atmosphere at times

Stable job at an unstable company

Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits (vacation, 401k, health, etc). Very flexible work hours (start anytime - work 8 hours - leave), and great coworkers

Cons

Terrible management. Lack of mentorship from upper management can and will hinder career development. Managers cannot give the same attention to their employees when they operate in a different state. No effort for team building and nobody feels proud working for National Grid. Salaries for new hires surpass 8+ year employees with the same title, a major blow to morale. Company failed to implement SAP correctly, delaying the much needed rate case, thus, no raises. Feels unfair for the UK side to receive raises. P4G rating system is flawed and does not promote teamwork. Odds are against you when working with multiple departments. Each group has their own "metrics" and "goals" to fulfill and takes precedence over anything else.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to better communicate to their employees and make them feel important.

People are great, company is not

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome entry level pay. You get benefits. There's opportunities for overtime and a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder.

Cons

The company does not put a lot of care, time, money, or effort into customer service. It's very black and white, so there's no room for caring about customer's needs. (Example: the company has the lowest customer satisfaction rate now than ever before, so the company has told the customer service supervisors to really crack down on keeping calls to 5 minutes or less, so now instead of us taking time to help the customers and obtain first call resolution, we are transferring them, cutting them off, and wrapping up the call without getting the problem solved the first time.)

Advice to Management

I wish the big wigs in Nationalgrid were taking customer's phone calls. It's hard for employees like myself who care about people's needs to be trained to feel numb toward a mother crying because she and her family has to wait 5 business days to get her service turned on because she was educated on the fact that she needed to call at least 5 business days before hand. Our customers are paying for the company not taking the time to educate and help our customers.

6. Good Internship

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

Real world work, supportive help and good pay

Cons

Unorganized management at times, times when work gets slow for interns.

7. Great

Pros

Working here was the best

Cons

People need to come in and do their work in order to be respected and understood.

8. Great Local Company

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA (Less than a year)

Pros

Only good things to say about National Grid's Intern Program. I highly recommend it to any student looking for a good career in the Northeast region.

Cons

The pay should be a little more competitive with other similar intern positions. Other than that, I enjoyed my internship and would recommend it to any of my student peers.

9. Great Company

Pros

Great system, Great co-workers, love my union.

Cons

none at all. i love it.

Distribution Planning Engineer

Pros

Very good people to work with, compensated very well for the work that you are willing to put in. A lot of room for growth

Cons

Company does not implement new ideas efficiently.

Advice to Management

none

11. Management - Credit & Collections

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent support system, pro employee development

Cons

There is no facility that is commutable once I relocated. I would have worked there until I couldn't work any longer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed