National Grid USA

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015

National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday
Steve Holliday

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay if you've worked there a long time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited upper management growth without having to relocate (in 5 reviews)

• Unstable, change in senior management every 2 yrs, consultants are in every department replacing full time employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Why power costs so much...

Current Employee - Anonymous in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can sit on Facebook, do personal banking in front of supervisors, sit on g-chat and basically have no expectations from management as everyone here is either replaceable or replaceable but unfireable due to a union that has implemented mandatory breaks for people in administrative positions (why they need a break from sitting at a desk is beyond me). You can also leave in the middle of the day if you are stressed, not having a great day, don't feel like working or any other reason I have observed; alternatively you can also spend the remainder of the day talking and not doing work. There is also no expectation of getting work done; this is a combination of everyone knowing the person they are working with is dumb and can be blamed for delays or just not caring and making excuses to not do it or blaming consultants. They love to complain about consultants here which is ironic as they are here to clean up after the actual workers (see other comments) who suck at their jobs.

Cons

You kind of feel guilty taking money from a public utility company if you have any concept of work and responsibility, unfortunately their is a distinct lack of any idea what those concepts are. As a result you literally feel dumber as you are forced to interact with these troglodytes. You also feel bad when people complain about heating or electric bills because you know it could probably be reduced by 90% if competent people were responsible for its procurement and delivery.

Is it possible to replace an entire office work force? Can you get rid of the incompetence known as union labor? You literally have consultants waiting to redo the work of union employees because the union employees are that dumb.

I lost my faith in mankind

I worked at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

I really could not find any

Cons

They just cannot get anything right.

Resign and maybe the company will stand a chance. Be honest, you are the problem.

Awesome experience! Worked as an intern, and fell in love with the company.

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome people, and everyone was willing to help me with any thing I needed. The company does a lot for the interns, and don't just treat them like cheap labor

Cons

I don't have any cons

Very friendly. I always felt comfortable going to my boss for anything, and they were very patient and understanding.

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, good people

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, technology advancement slow.

Use to be as if you were working with family members until CSC took over. All downhill from there.

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Hicksville, NY

I worked at National Grid USA as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any now. There are no Pros working for CSC.

Cons

No job security. You had to kiss ass ALOT. Management has NO CLUE what they are doing. Communication is only one way. You are treated like a second rate slave and the pay rate is inadequate. If you are a seasoned veteran, start looking for work right away because your days are numbered. You are to old to be working for CSC and they are preparing to let you go.

Learn what your job entails and then manage. Seriously consider advise which is given by those you are managing. They KNOW the pulse of the company better than you ever will.

Good

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

People are great, easy to get along with, hard working

Cons

Commute can be tiring if not close to Waltham

Well paid, but overworked.

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor, Overhead Lines in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor, Overhead Lines in Providence, RI

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salaries are good and in line with or above national average. Extremely busy, hectic days even without storms. Constant headaches due to new back-office system,

Cons

Too much work for front-line supervisors. Some mid-level managers are uninvolved or dont seem to care. Possibly because they are over stretched as well. No work/life balance.

National Grid

Current Employee - Supervisor in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Albany, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Flexible with home life, Good Co-workers, For the most part I enjoy going to work.

Cons

Upper Management Can Loose Touch, some goals are unrealistic, can be stressful at times

Pay Attention to realistic goals, listen to your workers, if you say your going to do something then do it.

A workplace where career growth is limited

I worked at National Grid USA

Pros

Not many pros. I found the way in which lay offs were carried out to be very unprofessional. Should have been more clear with employees.

Cons

Not much job security. I feel that this company struggled to maintain positive relationships with its workers and that it showed in the daily routines.

Trapped Between 2 Goliaths

Current Employee - CREDIT & COLLECTIONS in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - CREDIT & COLLECTIONS in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Descent pay for work performed. Most supervisors, managers, and directors truly care for their employees.

Cons

SAP software. Unreliable and outdated communication and business applications/tools. 2 tier union structure. Jobs spec's are not complete for many employees' assignments/duties. This allows management the opportunity to work employees as they see fit at any time: beyond their pay grades and work scope. Union views one group as a revenue source and does not support it's members equally on job bids and work grievances. Members do equal work and hold equal responsibilities for same tasks, but receive differing pay and benefits. Prior experience and performance does not account for the possibility of growth and placement. Networking, or having employed relatives is key to advancement. Very good, but very expensive health insurance package. Great benefit packages if you are management, or a member of the preferred union. Animosity amongst fellow union employees can lead and has led to a hostile work environment. Undergoing restructuring and down-sizing on all levels which is causing anxiety and instability - lack of confidence in senior management and in one's belief in continued employment.

Savvy management would properly interpret the "cons" for advice. Additionally, do not purchase nor roll out untested equipment or software: "the stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime approach" in order to cut operating expenses.

National Grid USA Photos