National Grid USA Reviews

143 reviews filtered by

Accounting dept

Current Employee - Accounting Services in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Services in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Recent overhaul of senior management- they listen, care and are making a difference- it's not hierarchical
    Dynamic, you can make a difference
    Interesting work, different issues arise daily
    Collaborative
    Good benefits eg company gym, healthcare
    Can get paid less to get more vacation

Cons

Lots of consultants "helping" - seems they are part of the problems- they were here before the accounting clean up, so it makes no sense they are "helping" clean up the accounts when they caused the issues

Fire the consultants- and sue them for the shoddy job they did with SAP implementation

2. Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods

Cons

Many employees have been there a long time, so it may be difficult to advance

3. Chaotic

I have been working at National Grid USA

Pros

Great company. I loved my co-workers and my supervisors. Pay is good.

Cons

Outdated is a understatement. Huge trust issue between union and management. Lack of

Listen to some of the complaints workers have a lot of them are simple fixes which would probably increase efficiency. ALSO follow through with plans of improvement... union doesn't trust you guys because you either take to long to follow through or take a dramatic change in direction.

5. Cons > Pros

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

Stable work environment, free gym. flexible hours

Cons

Busy during summer, slow IT responds, poor internal control, people don't take their work seriously.

Why power costs so much...

Current Employee - Anonymous in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can sit on Facebook, do personal banking in front of supervisors, sit on g-chat and basically have no expectations from management as everyone here is either replaceable or replaceable but unfireable due to a union that has implemented mandatory breaks for people in administrative positions (why they need a break from sitting at a desk is beyond me). You can also leave in the middle of the day if you are stressed, not having a great day, don't feel like working or any other reason I have observed; alternatively you can also spend the remainder of the day talking and not doing work. There is also no expectation of getting work done; this is a combination of everyone knowing the person they are working with is dumb and can be blamed for delays or just not caring and making excuses to not do it or blaming consultants. They love to complain about consultants here which is ironic as they are here to clean up after the actual workers (see other comments) who suck at their jobs.

Cons

You kind of feel guilty taking money from a public utility company if you have any concept of work and responsibility, unfortunately their is a distinct lack of any idea what those concepts are. As a result you literally feel dumber as you are forced to interact with these troglodytes. You also feel bad when people complain about heating or electric bills because you know it could probably be reduced by 90% if competent people were responsible for its procurement and delivery.

Is it possible to replace an entire office work force? Can you get rid of the incompetence known as union labor? You literally have consultants waiting to redo the work of union employees because the union employees are that dumb.

7. Contract Project

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at National Grid USA as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay match the work load

Cons

Training a large workforce had it's challenges (Minimum issues related around capturing the correct employees)

I lost my faith in mankind

I worked at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

I really could not find any

Cons

They just cannot get anything right.

Resign and maybe the company will stand a chance. Be honest, you are the problem.

Use to be as if you were working with family members until CSC took over. All downhill from there.

Former Contractor - Desktop Support Analyst in Hicksville, NY
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support Analyst in Hicksville, NY

I worked at National Grid USA as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any now. There are no Pros working for CSC.

Cons

No job security. You had to kiss ass ALOT. Management has NO CLUE what they are doing. Communication is only one way. You are treated like a second rate slave and the pay rate is inadequate. If you are a seasoned veteran, start looking for work right away because your days are numbered. You are to old to be working for CSC and they are preparing to let you go.

Learn what your job entails and then manage. Seriously consider advise which is given by those you are managing. They KNOW the pulse of the company better than you ever will.

10. Awesome experience! Worked as an intern, and fell in love with the company.

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Waltham, MA
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Waltham, MA

I have been working at National Grid USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, and everyone was willing to help me with any thing I needed. The company does a lot for the interns, and don't just treat them like cheap labor

Cons

I don't have any cons

Very friendly. I always felt comfortable going to my boss for anything, and they were very patient and understanding.

11. Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, good people

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, technology advancement slow.

National Grid USA Photos