National Grid USA

www.nationalgridus.com

National Grid USA Reviews in Waltham, MA

National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday

Steve Holliday

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods(in 8 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, productive environment(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited upper management growth without having to relocate(in 5 reviews)

• Unstable, change in senior management every 2 yrs, consultants are in every department replacing full time employees(in 4 reviews)

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome experience! Worked as an intern, and fell in love with the company.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsAwesome people, and everyone was willing to help me with any thing I needed. The company does a lot for the interns, and don't just treat them like cheap labor

ConsI don't have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementVery friendly. I always felt comfortable going to my boss for anything, and they were very patient and understanding.

welcome to the imperial culture

Auditor (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Prosnone that I could think of

Consno room for advancement. lack of basic leadership skills wight the upper management. hired monkeys from the street. feels like the Tudor dynasty running the show. if you speak your mind, your head will be chopped off. Senior expats can bring expensive wine bottles and horses to USA on rate payers money, while the US work force gets reduced and bonus shrinks further. Should change the name to "International Greed".

Advice to Senior Managementnone. as if they are interested.

Constant Change

Contract Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsInteresting work
    Attempts to do right thing

ConsToo many decisions are made without input from the people who can advise on how to proceed or of consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on bottom line and shareholders dividends will not add value to the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Prosnot really any pros for national grid

ConsLocation. terrible to get to. no work life ballance. no room to move up

It is a good company but just to big for its own good.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe benefits are really good.

ConsThey pay for engineers is really low. No value of engineering.

Good training experience for Intern

Transmission Planning Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGood pay, location and supervisor

ConsNothing much to complain for an internship

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman Resources process can be a little more faster

Company should elimiate Culture of Fear from the CEO down

Gas Operations (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSalary is good once you have paid your dies and worked here for at least five years. Health care cost is not as exorbitant as it was six years ago.

ConsHuman Resources is intent on promoting image of diversity and respect, yet neither attribute is apparent around the company. Complicated and overly wrought employee evaluations have not improved quality assurance levels and are a demoralizing factor as they continually downplay an employee's positive contributions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing by FEAR and stop putting profits ahead of employee concerns for a work/life balance. Provide equal opportunities and stop discriminating against women who are capable as their male counterparts. Reform Human Resources and the Culture of Fear which pervades every department.

Run Forest, Run!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThere are still some good folks working around.
    Not sure if there are any pros other that this. Well .. unless you are a young, ambitious female so Women in Network (WiN) could help you advance even if you don't have a clue.

Cons1) Someone here said - location?! This person must be leaving in the hotel across the street. Otherwise, you waste you life stuck on Rt. 128. The executives moved the US HQ to this high profile building ignoring the human cost. Since then they lost (maybe intentionally) lot of seasoned staff and had to adopt the flextime which someone else here so praised.
    2) New management promoted despite their incompetence, inexperience and lack of respect among co-workers. Demoralized old staff and bunch of newly hired college kids under such leadership = Power of Action!

Advice to Senior Managementthey don't listen anyway...

Good Company

Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsBoss is not very pushing. Great location.

ConsWeak air conditioning in the office. No employee cell phone discount. Too crowded. Going on budget.

Always in the process of reorganizing

Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThis company offers excellent benefits, fair pay, generous vacation time and ESOP. Many people work here for a number of years.

ConsVery poor leadership, company is constantly reorganizing. Workers are very stressed to know if they will have jobs. Many of the talented US leaders were let go in favor of British management who are mostly concerned with doing business at the lowest cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the ongoing reorganizations which aim to squeeze every penny at the risk of too few people to do the job safely.

Worked for National Grid USA? Contribute to the Community!