National Heritage Academies

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Jeff Clark

Pros
  • The benefits were pretty decent and I worked with very dedicated teachers (in 9 reviews)

• NHA has a great group of professionals who care about the education of children (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Teachers are overworked and underpaid (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, and decisions are made based on profit, not student growth (in 4 reviews)

1. Teacher

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Great work environment, lots if professional development training.

Cons

Low salary, no room for advancement, no support with behavior with students

Advice to Management

Create a position of a dean of student behavior, it is needed.

Too many observations

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time

Pros

I loved working with low income students and making a difference in their lives.

Cons

I was observed twice a week and always received positive comments but I felt like the administration was always breathing down my neck because of these observations.

Advice to Management

Trust your teachers. If students are making academic gains and teachers are performing well, there is no need to constantly walk in their classroom and record them on an iPad.

3. Paraprofessional

Current Employee - Title I Paraprofessional in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Title I Paraprofessional in Gary, IN

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

National Heritage has been good to me. I may not make the most monies,but, the love, compassion, caring and understanding staff and students makes kife worth it all. I have no complaints of this great organization. I salute Jeff, our CEO. Get investment, great idea for our children.

Cons

Salute the proprofessionals and he ISP team from time to time. Give them incentatives, bonuses and raises like the teachers.

Advice to Management

Remain the same.

Optimistic but falls short

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Your own classroom (if teaching a CORE class)
    -access to desktop in every classroom

Cons

- overworked and underpaid employees
    - incredible turnover of teachers often quitting mid-year
    - accountability at an all-time high without the resources
    - nonsensical protocols (PTO, especially)
    -lack of technology

Advice to Management

Spend your money on meaningful teacher training to train teachers on the effective use of curricular tools and expanding technology program as students living in this millennia must be able to effectively know how to use media and online resources to their advantage.

6. Not for me

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

easy job, very friendly support staff

Cons

unorganized, misleading, low pay, long hours

Advice to Management

Get some experience

7. dissa[pointed

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time

Pros

none there is no accountability

Cons

you have a job and gain experience to move on

Advice to Management

please be transparent and really need to care about educating scholars

8. Worst mistake of my life!

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many nice teachers.
    PD's are free time for teachers to be forced to socialize in. There are very few pros in this school.

Cons

If you don't kiss up to your dean, good luck! Deans play favoritism towards several teachers and leave the ones that they don't like out of the loop. Deans are extremely spiteful and manipulative.
    Students see their teachers being scrutinized by their deans in front of the students.
    You have 1 one 45 minute prep time and half an hour for lunch.
    Students in 8th grade are treated like students in second grade.
    The school talks about accountability, but never show it.
    Students don't respect the teachers because of the lack of consequences there are.
    Teachers are questioned by deans on petty things such as talking to the principal without their permission.
    There's no time to use the bathroom, so welcome all the UTI's.
    If you're a breastfeeding mom, you are welcome to pump in the dirty bathrooms.
    Calling out of work for being sick is a job in itself. Be ready to be interrogated!
    Never received my health care insurance card!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the egotistical dean system that serve absolutely no purpose.
    Give your teachers the respect they deserve.

Sad State of Affairs

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

-Better than average medical/dental benefits
    -Tuition Reimbursement for higher education while employed

Cons

Turnover is horrible. One classroom in my hallway went through 4 teachers in less than 1 school year. I watched multiple teachers leave in the middle of the school day and refuse to return or give 2 weeks notice.

Lack of consistency from the administration in terms of student discipline, school rules, zero tolerance policies, etc, make for confusion for both students and teachers. One day two students are suspended for multiple days for cussing at each other in a classroom, later that same day a different student throws a chair across a classroom in anger (endangering several students) and is given a lunch detention. Teachers are questioned about the validity of discipline (students hitting/slapping each other or screaming profanities at peers) when given detention the teacher is questioned (in front of students) if the hitting was "really that hard" or the yelling "really that loud"?

Dean model can be successful but most of the time seems to lead to favoritism and "clique" mentality. Principles easily become out of touch with what is happening in the classrooms because Deans present "white washed" versions of what is happening in the various halls.

Questionable staffing decisions (paraprofessionals put into teaching positions without having teaching licences or even 4 year college degrees and being called "long term subs" yet they are in that position from the 2nd week of school and stay there until the last day of school) Multiple friends and family members of administration/deans are hired in as "paraprofessionals" with no teaching experience/college degrees/teaching licenses and are suddenly put into positions of running/teaching classrooms even though they are not qualified.

Administrators tell teachers NO child will be held back, no excuses. Student's know this and therefore don't try, don't turn in assignments, refuse to take tests, and don't show up for school. I had one student that only showed up for class 20 times in 8 weeks. He slept through the classes he did show up to, never turned in HW, his parents changed their phone number/moved constantly and the school could rarely reach them and when we did the parents never showed up for scheduled meetings. This 5th grade boy could barely read and yet the Administration passed him on to the next grade.

Advice to Management

Principles - Know what is going on in your classrooms! Talk to your teachers don't just take the word of the Dean that things are "okay", especially when you have teachers literally fleeing from the building in droves.

DSQs - Stop by unannounced every once in awhile and actually go into random classrooms. Teachers receive emails and texts messages from Deans/Principle day before/day of your visits telling teachers what rooms they are not allowed to be in/around at certain times and certain students are removed from classrooms/school on the days of DSQ visits in order to "keep things quiet". You are constantly shown a dog and pony show.

10. DON'T DO IT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Continuing education, ILP program, very dedicated teachers and support staff, benefits are descent

Cons

The initial principals come for 2 years to build the school, then leave. Once they are gone, they will place the blame on the principal left behind. It was said at a meeting that it wasn't the principal's problem that the previous school they were employed at were having so much problems with personnel. Then proceeded to say they had no problems when they were there. How can you take pride in any school success when you are there to open the doors, hire the experienced personnel, and then calculatingly drive away that same EXPERIENCED personnel. Leaving only your personal clique staff left. If you are not part of the administration clique, you will most likely be pushed to the side with inadequate administration support. Eventually, the best decision will be to leave. I urge anyone to talk to any former and a small sampling of current employees BEFORE making this type of career choice. Also, when will the teachers be receiving the $300 check promised to initial set up of classrooms?

Advice to Management

Will you please stop making personnel your personal cheerleaders? We have lost so many high quality teachers and personnel this year due to not being part of your clique.

11. Years in Review

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time

Pros

- Small Family Environment
    - small Classroom size
    - Fabulous co-workers

Cons

- Small opportunity for growth
    - Locations sparse in the south

Advice to Management

- Always stay open-minded and positive

RSS Feed </> Embed