National Heritage Academies

Jeff Clark

Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love my co workers and boss

Cons

Could use more compensation in pay

good experience

I worked at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Great work relationships. Can go where you want to

Cons

Company all about numbers. Seems like true concern gets lost

I taught at NHA for over 11 years. I loved it at first. As administration changed, NHA also changed- not for the good.

I have been working at National Heritage Academies part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

THe parents are usually super supportive the staff at my school is young and fun and we all "get" each other and support each other. Out senses of humor get us through the day with each other. Our teachers are EXTREMELY dedicated to their students and their work

Cons

Many of the teachers at my school work 12-13 hour days in order to complete what is expected of us in a week. If we were getting paid like Doctors, those hours might be ok, but we make meager salaries that would be hard to live on as a single parent. We are told to put our families first, yet chastised if we are late, don't have something complete, or forget one of the many, many meetings we have each week.

Appreciate and pay your teachers more. Have admin micromanage less. Teachers do not actually enjoy being observed every week. We got this! We've been doing it longer than most of the deans who are observing us!Deans are needed to help with the many severe behavior issues we have at our school this year. Mt Dean can sit and tell me how to teach some great lesson, but as soon as "Johnny" disrupts the class to the point that I cannot teach, the skills learned in that 03 mean nothing to me.

It is a business first and a school last!

Current Employee - Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are still pretty good even though the cost continues to go up each year.

Cons

Lip service to learning only. Low pay, and decisions are made based on profit, not student growth.

Don't yell at staff members in front of other students and staff.

Long Term Substitute teacher at several NHA schools

Former Employee - Long Term Sub
    Former Employee - Long Term Sub

I worked at National Heritage Academies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hard working co-workers. Good Character Development program. Students make more progress

Cons

As a retired teacher, I was shocked by the schedules of NHS teachers. There is barely a minute to catch one's breath. The teachers are seriously overworked and it is no surprise that the average length of stay is 3 years. Teachers told me they didn't know how they could have a family and continue teaching at an NHA school. 8 specialist classes a day plus an hour of lunch duty and 1/2 hour car duty. Yikes. I would like to know what the profit margin is. I have a bit of a problem with NHA making a profit.

I think the Dean system is not that productive. There are too many of them. Principals should be doing more. Some of the deans are overseeing areas of which they have no expertise. It also causes a lot of turnover in staff.

NHA is a professional, thorough and forward thinking Charter School. They offer excellent training and mentoring.

Current Employee - Art Teacher in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Art Teacher in Gary, IN

Pros

Teachers, parents, students and staff work together at a team to promote the students' success.

Cons

The hours required are long. So, work life balance can be challenging.

Engaging & Innovative - Great work being done everyday.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values + the ability impact the future through the students NHA serves. There are several opportunities to connect with the actual students and that makes it all worth it.
    Benefits are best of the best, and even with Healthcare reform I could tell they worked hard to keep out-of-pocket costs reasonable. Variable rewards - consistently reviewing the culture, events, and reward programs to keep staff engaged and drive performance.

Cons

work-life balance. Often-times the headcount did not support the additional work leadership expected to be rolled out.

Consider additional leadership training prior to individuals taking on leadership roles (enabling them to have discussions around NHA policies and processes, performance management, and to know when to engage an expert). Consider additional opportunities for flexibility of work schedule/time-off, as well as being proactive to adding headcount to avoid overworking your highest performers who are pulling the wagon.

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance was wonderful during my time of employment.

Cons

Constant change in strategies in an attempt to keep up with the market. Educators rarely had ample time to learn the concept before it was changed. Technology for students was severely lacking. Library facility very small. Too much emphasis on data from student scores, students develop a complacent attitude towards testing;therefore, best effort of testing is lacking. No room for growth within the current structure. Dean model has not promoted a good work environment.

Work environment and climate would be greatly improved with the deletion of the Dean model and O3's. Definite need for benefits that include personal/sick day off policy. Benefits were great during the employment. Work/life balance in favor of company, need to be more considerate of balance for employees.

Service Center employee

Current Employee - Service Center in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Service Center in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Working with the school staff and receiving gratitude from the office staff.

Cons

There is no room for growth. All professional development is for teachers, deans or principals. The Service Center employees are hired for a specific job. Do not spend more than two year here, unless you like doing nothing with your career.

Micromanaging and lacking opportunity to all employees will be the downfall. The culture is already rotting on the inside and the only thing upper mgmt is concerned with is student achievement and seat filling. Students are dollars for this real estate management company.

I was able to grow with this company with three different schools in three different areas.

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The administration grows you and there is ability to transfer schools within the company.

Cons

The demands and administration can be over whelming at times.

Keep up the good work. Also, that they can be a bit demanding at times.