National Heritage Academies

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.9

Jeff Clark

Pros
  • The benefits were pretty decent and I worked with very dedicated teachers (in 9 reviews)

• NHA has a great group of professionals who care about the education of children (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • As with most schools, salaries are low, and teachers are overworked (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, and decisions are made based on profit, not student growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Current Intern - Special Events Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Intern - Special Events Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at National Heritage Academies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The NHA organization as a whole is awesome! I mainly worked with the special events team and learned so much over the course of my four month internship. I was given a lot of responsibility and really grew as a professional.

Cons

Long hours during event weeks.

Rotten Tomatoes!

Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Elevator worked for half of the year.

Cons

Administrators are not adequately trained. Some that I have experienced might not have the correct certification (a Special Education degree) or training but are promoted to be the Dean of that very department. Additionally, as a new employee, I was left "out of the loop" because I was not a part of the right clique. Also, my administrators and day-to-day colleagues were not forthcoming with information. I felt like I was playing 20 questions most of the time trying to figure out exactly the extent of my commitments before and after school. I witnessed teachers getting written up for petty things such as carrying a bottle of water around (the teacher was pregnant and the school had no air conditioning). The students tended to get into physical fist fights with each other and had no issue threatening teachers. Students get written up 85 times before the administrator decides that something should be done. School lunches for the students are horrible and lends to their poor attitude towards NHA schools. Many students used to complain coming back from the lunch room that they felt like they were being fed like an inmate.

Lack of supplies was stunning. National Heritage's philosophy is good in theory but does not play out within the school. Teachers scream at the students (sometimes with obscenities). Very hostile environment among students with staff, staff with staff, and staff with administrators. I brought home $845 every two weeks and think I could have made that much working at McDonalds or some other fast food place.

No room for promotions. Loads of after school commitments. No over-time pay or extra stipends for supplies.

No room for upward mobility unless you are in the correct clique. Administrators act like they want to hear what the teachers, parents and students have to say as to how to improve the school, but choose something completely opposite. Many new Deans only taught in a classroom for 5 yrs or less and expect that the teachers who have already been in the classroom for 10 yrs and above should have to attend all of the 1st year teacher training events.

Overworked & Underpaid

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Flexible hours, make your own schedule, determine events to participate in. company cell phone (or cell phone allowance), marketing budget with corporate card. Most of the staff is friendly and supportive.

Cons

Role has transformed into more of a sales role including more nights and weekends. Although there is a bonus incentive, it is minimal for a typical sales role. No opportunity for career growth unless you are willing to move to Grand Rapids.

Develop a career path for employees out in the field, compensate employees for crazy hours worked on nights, weekends, and holidays.

Twelve years at NHA were great but last year was miserable

Former Employee - Reading Specialist in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Reading Specialist in Holland, MI

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NHA as a for profit private corporation has definitely raised the bar on preparing students for college and career readiness, and has created a sense of competition amongst area public schools.

Cons

I was put on a performance coaching plan by an out of control dean who was very rude, disrespectful and did not take into account former evaluations (was told I did not have a track record) and expertise as a knowledgeable reading specialist and interventionist.

I'm glad I done with NHA!

Software Engineer, poor experience

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at National Heritage Academies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment if your in the "CLICK". Great benefits.

Cons

Wrong priorities, too much red tape. They will lie during the interview about expectation and try to spread resources thin to do "more with less" and I believe this will hurt them.

Listen to employees and give them a chance to shine.

It is a business first and a school last!

Current Employee - Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are still pretty good even though the cost continues to go up each year.

Cons

Lip service to learning only. Low pay, and decisions are made based on profit, not student growth.

Don't yell at staff members in front of other students and staff.

Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love my co workers and boss

Cons

Could use more compensation in pay

good experience

I worked at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Great work relationships. Can go where you want to

Cons

Company all about numbers. Seems like true concern gets lost

Long Term Substitute teacher at several NHA schools

Former Employee - Long Term Sub
    Former Employee - Long Term Sub

I worked at National Heritage Academies part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hard working co-workers. Good Character Development program. Students make more progress

Cons

As a retired teacher, I was shocked by the schedules of NHS teachers. There is barely a minute to catch one's breath. The teachers are seriously overworked and it is no surprise that the average length of stay is 3 years. Teachers told me they didn't know how they could have a family and continue teaching at an NHA school. 8 specialist classes a day plus an hour of lunch duty and 1/2 hour car duty. Yikes. I would like to know what the profit margin is. I have a bit of a problem with NHA making a profit.

I think the Dean system is not that productive. There are too many of them. Principals should be doing more. Some of the deans are overseeing areas of which they have no expertise. It also causes a lot of turnover in staff.

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance was wonderful during my time of employment.

Cons

Constant change in strategies in an attempt to keep up with the market. Educators rarely had ample time to learn the concept before it was changed. Technology for students was severely lacking. Library facility very small. Too much emphasis on data from student scores, students develop a complacent attitude towards testing;therefore, best effort of testing is lacking. No room for growth within the current structure. Dean model has not promoted a good work environment.

Work environment and climate would be greatly improved with the deletion of the Dean model and O3's. Definite need for benefits that include personal/sick day off policy. Benefits were great during the employment. Work/life balance in favor of company, need to be more considerate of balance for employees.