National Heritage Academies

Add Photos

Jeff Clark

Yuck

Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits were pretty decent and I worked with very dedicated teachers.

ConsExtreme lack of support, culture of fear, some of the least professional administrators I've had the displeasure of working for. In a primarily African American community, there was not a single African American teacher, which seemed a little odd.

Teachers are not valued, too many expectations without any sort of compensation or assistance.

Teacher (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsGood mission. There are a lot of cutting edge initiatives.

ConsTeachers are overworked and under paid. While it's not all about the money, the amount of time that goes in should at least keep up with local school districts' pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into the classrooms/buildings and listen before adding another initiative.

The pros and cons of a charter school.

Teacher (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

Prosgreat insurance,faithful employees, close faculty,

Consno sick days, no acured leave of any type, no potential for advancement, micro-managed by Deans,

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your administration often, the management is stale, micromanages, and forces employees out of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid and overworked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNHA has good benefits and I think the administration tries to achieve results. However, many are not trained or even degreed in administration so aren't clear on how to achieve results.

ConsThe discipline is awful . Students as a whole are disrespectful . Administrations spends too much time with observation and testing instead of focusing on the core problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire seasoned teachers and pay them according to their experience. Intervene when necessary and do not play big brother constantly. Behavior would improve if students could have some consistency in teachers.

A great company that lost its soul.

Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsGood teacher training
    Good health coverage

ConsLow salaries
    Too much classroom supervision
    Too fad oriented
    Constant change in leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off the classroom observations. Trust your teachers. Give your teachers more planning time and planning days. Drop your membership in the Fad of the Month Club.

I was able to grow with this company with three different schools in three different areas.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe administration grows you and there is ability to transfer schools within the company.

ConsThe demands and administration can be over whelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Also, that they can be a bit demanding at times.

First major company I worked for, did not regret a thing.

ProsBenefits were hard to beat in relation to other companies. Support came in many forms, whether it be transitioning into a new role or getting help directly from HQ. NHA does well in taking care of their employers.

ConsBeing compensated for the amount of work you do is a little lacking. Though benefits from this company is a plus, salary is not up to par with other positions. Being a North Carolina teacher "adds" to the low compensation and the time it takes to have a decent compensations is too long. There's a lot of hoops when it comes to asking for certain things from HQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more real with your employers. Though we appreciate all the small tokens of appreciation, we are not blind to the real issues we face as NHA North Carolina teachers. Team involvement and communication is one of the main things I feel lacks in some of our schools. Be realistic and up front with your teachers, in the long run they will appreciate that.

NHA Schools give a false picture of what the school is really like

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsGet to meet a lot of people
    Great students
    Very diverse groups of students in each school
    Teaching with purpose
    College-driven curriculum

I believe that the schools do a good job trying to have a moral focus for the students to learn, but aside from teaching it, the students don't care and are rarely receptive to it.

ConsTeachers are overworked and underpaid
    Overabundance of paraprofessionals in each classroom is unnecessary
    Students rarely learn anything that they wouldn't in a regular public school
    Assessment is a joke

Most of the students in most of the schools are out of control, disrespectful, and don't want to be there. The teachers are stressed out beyond stressed, which is why the turnover is so high for NHA. Plus, the schools are profit-driven, as they function like "for profit" colleges. Public schools are not meant to make money, but to educate students. NHA schools are meant to make money, and education seems like a lower priority.

The schools have so many paraprofessionals in the classrooms that don't really contribute to the learning environment. Most of the paraprofessionals have teaching degrees, but are sent out with a group of students to help fill out a worksheet, or something similar.

The school is taking on the latest fad, "group learning", as they are implementing group learning whenever possible. I have witnessed this first-hand multiple times in the school, where teachers are trying to teach, and the students are sitting back, playing on their cell phones, and talking in their groups. The teachers are frustrated because the idea of stations or groups does not work all of the time, for every grade, and every subject area.

Assessment is a joke. Multiple times, I've seen students complete a "quiz" at the end of learning a unit. They all score very well on it, but they do so because all they're doing is regurgitating the information they were supposed to have learned. For example, I was working with a group of students that had been learning a grammar topic for a week. They knew they were being quizzed on it at the end of the week. On that Friday, the teacher went over all of the answers to the quiz with the students. THEN, she handed out the quiz. Were they really showing what they learned, or were they just repeating exactly what they had reviewed 2 minutes before? After the teacher got the NWA testing results back, almost all of the students showed no understanding of that same grammar topic, even after they had "learned" it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on the bottom dollar and focus more on the actual education of the students. You should also focus on paying your teachers manageable salaries if you plan to overwork them.

NHA is an example of a successful Charter School company.

Teacher (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAfter working for other Charter companies and even public school districts, I can say that NHA is organized, consistent, and has a strong support system in place for its schools and teachers. There is the chance for yearly raises attached to student achievement, parent feedback, performance, and progress toward teacher-set goals, which is assessed through weekly (!) observations and meetings. Within NHA's network of schools, upward mobility is encouraged - NHA pays 50% of graduate tuition for teachers, and 100% for some sponsored school leadership degrees. Because of NHA's extensive network of schools, there is the opportunity to switch to a new school - so even with the lack of job security in charter schools, there is a certain amount of mobility.

ConsThere can be an excess of focus on test scores, but I believe that is more a product of today's educational environment in the United States than anything specific to NHA. Also, while it's job security and mobility is better than some charter schools, years gained at one NHA school are not necessarily counted when applying to a new NHA school. LIke many other charter schools, NHA schools are full of young teachers - some of them talented, passionate, and skilled - just "doing their time" until a more stable and sustainable job opens somewhere else. This is not ideal for school culture or student achievement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some new strategies for improving the teacher turnover rate - perhaps allowing for transfers between NHA schools, to at least cut down on the number of new teachers hopping from school to school because they know that the loyalty and number of years in a charter school can count for nothing when applying to a public district (or another charter school.)

This company is blatantly racist and biased against any religion except for CRC. They are worthy of a detrimental lawsui

Corporate (Current Employee)

ProsThere are absolutely no 'pro' associated with this company

ConsRacist; sexist, religious bias (unless you're a member of their religion)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a great lawyer.

Worked for National Heritage Academies? Contribute to the Community!