National Income Life

Updated February 23, 2015
3.8

National Income Life CEO Roger Smith
Roger Smith

Pros
  • Ever since I started here I have never had such financial freedom (in 3 reviews)

• Potential to make good money for hard work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This company has made me come out of my comfort zones and has taught me what hard work is (in 6 reviews)

• Hard work, long hours in the beginning (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish I could've stayed with them

Former Employee - Benefit Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Benefit Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having the ability for growth, making a lot of money, supportive culture, team atmosphere. Being able to help people that risk their lives to protect us like police and firefighters, nurses, etc.

Cons

I had to leave because my husband's job relocated to Florida. Wish I could've stayed it was such a great opportunity

Thanks for always being supportive and helpful.

Supervising Agent

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at National Income Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love being able to teach new employees how to correctly implement the benefit packages to the union families. It feels great to be able to directly affect the outcomes of people careers. It is nice knowing that everyone here is working towards a common goal of being the #1 agency in the state, which I can happily say, WE ARE #1. We support, teach, push, and compete with one another which creates a cohesive atmosphere. I can't speak for other agencies but here in Syracuse, we are a family. It is awesome!

Cons

Can't really think of any besides long hours in the beginning of training. Also the licensing test can be tough.

???

could be a great career, if you don't mind having no free time and never getting to see your family.

Former Contractor - Sales Agent in Rochester, NY
    Former Contractor - Sales Agent in Rochester, NY

I worked at National Income Life as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

good pay, if you produce
    kind of get to write your own schedule
    huge bonuses
    great co-workers
    union pays half of your health insurance once you reach tenure
    you get free leads, no cold calling, yet sometimes it seems as if you would be better off calling out of a phone book

Cons

tons of driving, a lot of miles on your car
    expected to work seven days a work no exceptions
    little help after training, if you don't hit their expectations you're treated as a failure
    management doesn't care about their staff, only cares about numbers
    no salary, so if you struggle, you do not get paid
    they tell you that you "write your own schedule" which is only true because you make calls to set your own appointments. there is no days off and you're expected to run a certain amount of appointments each week and if you run what they expect you will literally have no free time
    I sacrificed a lot of time with my child for this job and the one day a week I had time away from this job to spend with my daughter, I was still expected to be making phone calls while I am with her, as if 13 hours a day 6 days a week isn't enough dedication.
    they contradict themselves(management)
    the interviews make it seem to good to be true, don't forget you're being sold on the job by the best salesmen in the building, they know exactly what to say to make you sacrifice everything in your life for this job, when it turns out to be a lot more difficult than they ever say.
    even if the leads they give you are horrible, you can never tell them that or request a new area because you will be told its your fault and you just aren't doing good enough.
    I would NOT recommend this job to anyone who would like to spend any time with their family or anyone who has less than about 5 thousand dollars in their bank account to make up for bad weeks and all of the start up money otherwise you can end up in a real debt filled position

your agents are people with families too, stop treating them as if they're number producing robots. offer more help to struggling agents, instead of threatening someone with letting them go just because they're new, struggling, and are having issues outside of work.

not advisable for people starting off to find a job, not a career.

Former Employee - Life Insurance Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Life Insurance Agent in New York, NY

I worked at National Income Life part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The big boss is absolutely wonderful, very passionate about helping, and very encouraging. his managers though, (who train prospect employee) are very frustrating. Company is good, decent and $$$-worthy-product and has a heart to help. Company gives you leads, but it is on your own ability to make them a client.

Cons

They promise the sun and moon to get you in the door. next thing you know, you're stuck on your own without proper training and leadership. you have to have this "special skill" via phone, to encourage clients to meet you up. lucky days, they get you on for an appointment, unlucky days you get stood up. either way, you have to complete at least 5-7 people within a day, 4 times a week to get $$$ on your pocket. Its exciting in the beginning, but becomes stressful later on. definitely a sales job, you should be thick-skinned in order to get clients going.

Realistic goals. Proper training. Tell your future employee not just the pros of it, but emphasize the cons too, so they won't end up frustrated.

great company but micromanaged

I worked at National Income Life (more than a year)

Pros

This company is great for anyone who is out of college and looking for a little experience in the sales professions. company gives you leads for you to build your own clients. One of the greatest manager they had was Jason Bratin who now owns his own agency in PA. so if you are in that area i suggest to look out in his AIL company.

Cons

micromanaged, unorganized. you are only appreciated when you are able to bring in money when you have a bad week or bad sales you are no longer appreciated. There is no base pay 100% commision

learn how to appreciate your employees even when they are down.

Amazing Opportunity and Great income for the hard Worker

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Flushing, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This review is for The Pappas Agency
    you work hard and you can make 6 figure and up after 2 years
    Easy to growth.
    Supportive co-workers and managers. Mangers care about their employees. You always have access to your manager, and you can change your manger if you were not happy
    very positive and motivating atmosphere
    Company provides you the leads
    Great training
    Weekly bonus and Vacations

Cons

long hours, 11am to 1am on some days in the first 2 years
    100% commission base
    heavy workload
    Old phones
    You need to have a car

Provide more leads. Diversify your products. Some SAs and GAs don't know how to teach new agents.

Very dishonorable. They lie about pretty much everything to get you in the door.

I worked at National Income Life

Pros

Possibility of making a lot of money, provided you're a very pushy person who doesn't take no for an answer. You need to be very thick-skinned and a true seller in order to succeed here.

Cons

They lied about pretty much everything to get me to work there, or at least they embellished the truth to make it sound one way when it's not. I wasted a lot of time and money before I realized this unfortunately.

Be upfront with your new employees and respect them. I felt extremely disrespected by my upline and oftentimes he was more hurtful than helpful so one day I'd just had enough so I left.

Scammers & liars

Former Employee - Sales Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in New York, NY

I worked at National Income Life

Pros

There are absolutely no pros. They are complete liars and scammers and will waste your time. Do not bother speaking with them.

Cons

The lie about the role, lie about the salary, lie about everything, it is almost unbelievable.

Stop scamming and get real jobs!!

DON'T BE FOOLED!

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Flushing, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time

Pros

If your on ur last leg don't fall for the scheme. Unless you like working tons of hours with no guaranteed pay check at the end of the week or weeks, don't settle. You will be called for a discrete interview with limited information about the job. If you look attentive and half way decent you will get the job. Its going to be a commission based sales position. To get money you need to be lucky and a liar. Its a dream which they sell you trust me don't waste you time.

Cons

They hire alot because people are constantly leaving, this is how the company stays alive. You come make a lucky sale or two hit rock bottom and realize its nothing good and leave. The company got you yo make them sales just like other will do for them.

Look else where don't be fooled by the dream that they sell you. Don't sell you soul. There will be more weeks of no checks rather than weeks of checks.

Misleading at best, bait & switch

Former Employee - Agent in Elmira, NY
    Former Employee - Agent in Elmira, NY

I worked at National Income Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

IF you want to put in 80 hours a week, you have the POTENTIAL to make $2000 dollars a week. The agents are pretty cool and supportive.

Cons

1099 work which means no taxes are taken out. Health insurance program is around $1,200 per month. No sick time, no vacation time, no real benefits. You may make an average of 1500 bucks a week, but you will also be filling your gas tank daily, changing your oil every two weeks and ripping through tires. Average daily mileage is around 250-300.
    When you take your pay, subtract taxes, gas, and maintenance expenses and divide by the number of hours you work, you are basically making somewhere around $13 an hour. It's not that great.

You will be cold calling at least twice a week (usually 2 days in the office, and Sundays from home) for 8-9 hours a day. These are either old referrals who don't know what you're selling and don't want it, or they are association members who don't remember sending in their card and they don't want you to call. Once in a while you will get a call from someone who wants you to come over, but for the most part, people are avoiding you, hanging up on you and telling you to stop bothering them. My first two weeks I had to beg my friends and family to let me come over so I had a full schedule.

These people are their own kind of cult. They are workaholics. If you are a young, single person with no family life, this may be the job for you. You will be working 70-80 hours. 9am-1am most days. Your manager will hound you and bother you even when you're at home which is very rare. They call you every 3 hours. Your wife will complain that you're never home. You will miss your kids. Decide if the money is worth the lost family time.

This company has the highest turnover I've ever seen. When the last 3 people quit before their 90 days, that is a huge red flag. The first problem is that they rush people into management. These people are just money hungry to get their matching bonus off agents below them so they rush through the training and become managers before they are ready or really even know how to manage. They are also very cocky / competitive. The environment can get cutthroat at times. People poach other people's leads and referrals. They will also try to get you to let them sell to your family.

The biggest con is that you are force feeding this stuff to your clients. You give them a take it or leave it option today. Some agents are really pushy and make their clients take it. They teach you to "take" referrals from clients, in other words, saying you will give them free life insurance or child safety kits but they don't realize they will be getting their friends involved. I couldn't live with this sleazy cold sales job. They just play on words to trick people to work there, and they play on words to get clients to buy. They sell traditional whole life, marketed as a pre-arranged funeral so they can trick clients into buying duplicate coverage that they don't really need.

Training needs to be more than 2 weeks.
    Managers that aren't ready to have other people under them shouldn't be rushed into management.
    Stop misleading new hires. If you were honest about the job itself and the work schedule they will be working, you wouldn't have to hire and go through so many employees.
    Get real leads for the agents
    respect your employee's family life