National Information Solutions Cooperative

National Information Solutions Cooperative Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

National Information Solutions Cooperative President and CEO Vern Dosch

Vern Dosch

Good for starting out, pay is lackluster after a few years.

Software Specialist (Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsEasy-going atmosphere, good people. The office is nice looking, though the developer work stations are so-so. A lot of very smart people to work with.

ConsThe pay starts low and does not rise quickly enough. Not competitive in the St. Louis market. Also the office is very far away for most professionals in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs work. The work stations are slow and detract from productivity. The desks are too small since removing the old cubicles.

Stable company that you can get stuck in

Support (Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsStable company with flexible hours. The company repeatedly talks about their record profits.
    Niche market.
    Tries to involve employees in activities and sends out surveys to try and measure employee satisfaction.
    Lake St. Louis office is easy to access from the Interstate, although far from St. Louis center.
    Health and 401K benefits are good.

ConsThere are four locations and a lot of different departments, which all seem to operate differently. This review is for the E&O office in Lake St. Louis.
    Loud open office, small desk work environment due to running out of room. Hardly anyone has an actual office. Uncomfortable chairs provided unless you want to pay for your own.
    Low salary increases, which don’t even match a cost of living increase, yet record profits. This is for knowledgeable employees who are rated highly on performance reviews.
    Department is known to not like to give promotions, so this is not a place you want to stay and keep working. There is a lot of turnover, and many employees are always looking for a different job which makes for a very depressing work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that the support and consultation area is a big part of your interactions with your customers. Instead of constantly having to train new employees, value the ones you have by increasing wages and making a more comfortable work environment. Users would rather talk and interact with the same knowledgeable employees.

A quickly growing company that's grounded in great values and supportive of its employees

(Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsEvery level of the company is supportive of work/life balance and provides flexibility. A range of great benefits. A clear focus on employee satisfaction, supported by regular (brief) surveys and acting on all feedback. Regular all-employee meetings (via WebEx) to keep everyone informed about what's going on with the company. Great transparency. Ample opportunities for learning and career growth. A great group of smart, humble, friendly employees, and really great customers (you sort of have to experience it to get it). You'll personally meet with the CEO within your first month or two. (He works in our North Dakota office, so it might not be right away.)

ConsIn the past, some teams weren't supported with enough staff, but there's been a concerted effort recently to staff at appropriate levels. (We hear from our CEO in employee meetings that he never wants to have to lay someone off because we've overstaffed. It seems like a very genuine reason that they take their time and deliberate before deciding to bring more people on board. I appreciate this thoughtful approach.)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on improving compensation to keep great people from leaving and to help attract people to work here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cooperative values lived out in the core of everything done on a day-to-day basis and in innovative steps going forward.

Software Associate (Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsNISC is a Cooperative. This means that decisions made aren't as profit driven as they would be in a regular corporate environment. With this comes a freedom to innovate in ways that other software companies can't, and this mentality is definitely carried down to a regular employee level. If you don't know what a cooperative is look it up, and then scrap whatever money-grubbing corporation you are working for now and go work for one.

I feel appreciated in my daily work. The benefits and compensation match that of most other software companies, and NISC is dead set on making sure its employees have a good balance between work and regular life.

The way meetings are handled and performance reviews done are backwards from what you would normally see. It's much less, "Here's how we think you have been doing." and much more, "What can WE do to help you towards your greatest potential?" This is encouraging and not like anything you might expect from any company larger than a mom & pop shop.

The Wellness program is phenomenal and inspiring, and the monthly company get-togethers (called Meet-Ups) are enjoyable and make you feel welcome and a part of a larger community (not to mention they provide soda, beer, wine, food et cetera).

ConsNISC can be a little slow moving when it comes to new features and products, but it's picking up.

There doesn't seem like there are a lot of opportunities within NISC to move up the ladder, but with the big vision for adding more developers, engineers, support, QA and so on there will be a need for more management positions, it's just not there right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and don't ever underestimate what your employees are capable of.

Great place to work, a few tweaks and NISC will become best-in-class!

ProsYou can't ask for a more, family-focused environment, great customers who are more like extended family, teams who go out of their way to be supportive of fellow co-workers in ways unimaginable these days...it is awesome! NISC is one of the best places to work if you value these types of things. There were no layoffs during a recession and infact, they grew as a company! They value opinions, insights, have values when it comes to business and their people and they listen about new ideas and thrive on innovation.

The focus and drive and culture of this organization is very different than that of a 'traditional corporate' setting and that I wouldn't change. Titles don't matter here, that means internally, people from all levels within the organization are pulled onto a project, to get it done right. It could be an executive working with a manager, a specialist and a project lead around the table, working on a solution together. In other words, if you have the skillset and the know how, you will be a part of some very cool, innovative projects no matter your rank. For an organization that supports rural America, NISC is very innovative and forward-thinking. Watching the solutions NISC creates make a difference in lives is very rewarding.

And the benefits are more than just health insurance. There is a strong focus on employee wellness, encouragement for community engagement and a support network for each other! It's the best it can be for anyone who wants more than just a job or even a career...NISC is filled with people who really do care and it goes beyond the 40 hour work week.

ConsWhile NISC is on track in a lot of ways, opportunities for growth are limited and I think that will cost them to lose really good people. While titles are not important in this organization, which can be a good thing as I mentioned above, it's important to recognize that titles do matter. Titles matter, not only outside of the organization...as a perception of an employee representing NISC, but it also matters to many of the employees. Since the jobs don't always align with the duties/tasks and jobs of the people doing them, it gets confusing and when an employee is misrepresented of what they do for the organization it's not the best morale and they shouldn't have to explain themselves/what they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize a job well done more frequently. Don't just save them up for one special day. Hire more people. Get people in who appreciate all the benefits of NISC, ones that will keep and encourage our unique culture. Add more titles that align better to the employees' jobs.

Great place to work.

ProsGreat benefit package, workout facility, exercise classes, management strives to make the company a good place to work.

ConsAdvancement to management may be limited due to the flat organizational structure.

Good small company with exciting products

Senior Software Specialist (Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsSmall company, technology solutions centered, IT is not an overhead cost it is a driver, easy to talk to people, nice equipment and facilities, good work life balance, casual dress code, working with newer technoglies

ConsChances for growth are limited, small company so smaller pay. Some projects have around the clock support so you might get wrangled into that. Dealing with internal support can take up a lot of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they are addressing this with their newer review and coaching system but for most of my time there I met with my actual boss once a year to talk about my performance.

Used to have a great culture, but it's gotten lost in new quest for $$$

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsAmazing people to work with, not only the co-workers, but the Members (aka: customers).

ConsThere is so much potential to be an employer of choice, but in recent moves that are more profit driven they have forgotten the importance not only of the employees, but the Members which they serve.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove Corporate Services to a different entity (sell them or break them off somehow). Concentrate on continuing to develop the best software product for the Cooperative Electric/Telecom Industry and refocus on the needs of the Members. Too much energy and focus on profit (for a cooperative business) from iGEAR and UBP has tainted the organizations culture and caused you to lose sight of your own Shared Values.

Good place to start.

(Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood work environment, overall the people are great to work with. Own fitness facility, and fairly laid back environment.

ConsLow Pay, no opportunity for career advancement. Decent first job, but not for a career, especially those seeking a challenge. Recognition varies greatly both on the departmental and team level.

Cordial, Flexible, and Stable.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lake Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe company has retained a dominant market share, invests a lot into research and development, and concerns itself with employee job satisfaction.

ConsThe campus is quite a drive from downtown Saint Louis.

Worked for National Information Solutions Cooperative? Contribute to the Community!