National Instruments

Updated Apr 12, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

319 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic company to grow skill sets and launch your professional career.

Group Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a seven year employee of NI and had numerous promotions during that time. There is a pointed focus on developing employee skill sets. A lot of in-house promotions, too. Great onsite amenities, such as multiple cafeterias, gym, health clinic (sooo convenient), volleyball courts, and more. Easy access off of Mopac, and right across the street from the Domain. The ESPP program is fantastic - free money to those that take advantage of it. The culture is very strong in this company, it really shows. This is the only company I worked for that spent a significant amount of time correctly managing employees, from timely praise and attentive listening, to performance management when necessary. That's probably the one thing I miss most about working at NI.

ConsCompensation policies. The bottom line is, fight hard for your starting salary. After that, you'll be subjected to an annual raise policy that, when they're given (some years not), are small bumps (2-6% on average). There is no level-setting of salaries once you are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou clearly hire the best and the brightest, but retention should be a stronger focus. I get the business case for your raise policy, but you're bleeding star performers who quickly eclipse their modest starting pay. Until you revisit this, you'll be stuck in a cycle of launching careers and not capitalizing on your development investments.

National Instruments is a great company to start your career in Software Development.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company culture.
Great benefits.
Good work/life balance.
Sound management.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement for senior developers.

Work hard and play hard.

Inside Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work! Environment is well balanced... work hard and play hard.

Some changes are affecting immediate business, but it's with the intention to be better organized and create stronger organization. We are aligning structures, systems and tools with other offices around the world.

Conscareer opportunities are offered, but no always met in the short run. Compensation ($$) is not the greatest! Sometimes you just get more responsibilities added.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are good ideas in place to make business better. Sometimes it looks like the implementation of those ideas is a half speed. This sometimes affects business and compensation. But at the end of the day that's not really considered.

NI - A good place to work...if you have the patience

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment, smart people, challenging work

ConsLack of strong leadership to get problems solved, break through old mindsets. Lots of roadblocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be better listeners and stronger problem solvers at times while balancing the voice of the individual employees and middle management. I would like to see true Lean Leadership as described by people like Jim Womack.

Good people, fun projects, mediocre salary

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are opportunities to work on great projects if you can move around enough in the company.

ConsCreativity is not always valued; personal side projects don't get much support. The salary and benefits are below grade for companies in this sector. Management is pretty social so if you don't have an outgoing personality it will be harder to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on creativity. Create a culture of continuous education. Award people for pushing the envelope.

Great place to start but...

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat starting wages for newly graduated engineers. Awesome work environment and culture. Super nice Austin campus and a real 21st century attitude toward the work life.

ConsHard to move up. Very slow to increase pay. Often stuck in their ways. Their fast growth has caused some jam-ups with employee retention and promotion. In recent years, decisions that were good for shareholders were not so good for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better to keep longer term technical employees. Increase level of additional benefits to match what other high-tech companies are offering their employees. You are falling behind.

No loyalty.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork/life balance is encouraged.
Coworkers are generally pretty great/smart.
Work is interesting and fun.

ConsTime off policies are to low
Poor management - don't really understand how to grow employees and provide opportunities. Too much politics.
Salaries/total compensation is low and losing ground to other technology companies

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. Follow the 100 year plan. Cutting raises to employees and giving 24% raises and 15% bonues to top management doesn't sit well with most experienced employees.

When reorganizations happen, new managers often give preferential treatment to older groups and newer groups get ignored.

Great company to start with, if you're in the right group.

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company culture, amazing benefits. Good sense of community, great opportunities to get involved in the community around you and sports teams.

ConsDepending on your group, open communication from leadership can be a challenge. Expanding beyond your current role can sometimes be a challenge if you're not some sort of engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your employees (other than engineers) salary. It's not in line with other companies of your size.

Technical Communicator

Staff Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy department is very laid back, this isn't true of every group at NI, though. They are a fiscally conservative company, and by being so, they have never had mass layoffs. I appreciate the stable environment. Additionally, there are lots of smart, innovative, passionate people who work here. My manager makes it easy to balance work and the rest of my life. We are treated like adults and allowed to manage our time as we see fit as long as we meet deadlines.

ConsFiscally conservative also means low salaries. The promotion policy is bizarre. They will promote you, but you don't get a corresponding salary increase until you've proven yourself in your new position. There are not a lot of opportunities for career growth in my area and I have felt stuck for quite some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the purse strings a bit. If you value hiring and retaining the best and brightest, then compensate us like you mean it. My salary increases (when they've happened) have not come close to keeping up with cost of living.

As they say, "Great place to launch a career"

ELP Engineer (Applications Engineer) (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros- Very extensive training programs ranging from technical proficiencies, leadership development, customer support and best practices in sales
- Relaxed/fun work environment
- Little oversight, laxed work hours
- Easy to network and gain exposure
- Great culture
- Ability to drive your own initiatives and career

Cons- The group environment, especially ELP, can be quite distracting and hard to focus
- Salary is low and raises are rare
- Rare to have a structured routine for a work day, need to be highly adaptable every day
- Quite easy to work 50+ hour work weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide proper (and truthful) recruiting messages to ELP and do not sugar coat the job prospects or the salary and potential for raises.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 319 reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.