National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though honestly that depends on which group you're in"
    in 75 reviews
  • "The work environment is very fun, and everyone is very active outside of work"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to start with, if you're in the right group.

Austin, TX

ProsGreat company culture, amazing benefits. Good sense of community, great opportunities to get involved in the community around you and sports teams.

ConsDepending on your group, open communication from leadership can be a challenge. Expanding beyond your current role can sometimes be a challenge if you're not some sort of engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your employees (other than engineers) salary. It's not in line with other companies of your size.

Technical Communicator

Staff Technical Writer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsMy department is very laid back, this isn't true of every group at NI, though. They are a fiscally conservative company, and by being so, they have never had mass layoffs. I appreciate the stable environment. Additionally, there are lots of smart, innovative, passionate people who work here. My manager makes it easy to balance work and the rest of my life. We are treated like adults and allowed to manage our time as we see fit as long as we meet deadlines.

ConsFiscally conservative also means low salaries. The promotion policy is bizarre. They will promote you, but you don't get a corresponding salary increase until you've proven yourself in your new position. There are not a lot of opportunities for career growth in my area and I have felt stuck for quite some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the purse strings a bit. If you value hiring and retaining the best and brightest, then compensate us like you mean it. My salary increases (when they've happened) have not come close to keeping up with cost of living.

Great work place and good culture

ProsGreat culture, managers are hands-off but still present. Work is meaningful and fun

ConsSalaries are not very competitive to the local market, consensus driven makes it hard to drive decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be easier to maintain employees by being more alligned with current market rate. Also there is not much direction as to who owns decisions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly workplace environment. As a branch of an American company, the culture was different from a typical Japanese corporation. If you can persuade others that your ideas are worthwhile, enough effort can make it happen.

ConsManagement seems to be struggling with both sales and understanding the Japanese market.
    This struggle sometimes lead to decrease in transparency of management.

The IT Salaries are lower than many competing companies, but job security is high

ProsStrong company culture and good benefits.

ConsLots of competition in Austin market, but salaries not being adjusted accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't only try and retain R&D talent; you need to focus on software engineers and G&A positions which are INDUSTRY-AGNOSTIC.

Great Work Environment

ProsIt's not a strict corporate atmosphere. I feel like I am working with good, excited people. Management truly seems to value employee job satisfaction.

ConsPay is only OK. It can be difficult to reach consensus at times. Projects vary greatly in importance and impact to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider increasing pay, and give engineers and managers better tools to make decisions.

Company culture is good, people working there feel comfortable

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsNice colleagues, low working pressure, the leader of virtual instrument technology

ConsSalary not competitive, market is niche, not easy to find another job if you are always programming in LabVIEW.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo help employees grow and become more competitive technically.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

As they say, "Great place to launch a career"

ELP Engineer (Applications Engineer) (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Very extensive training programs ranging from technical proficiencies, leadership development, customer support and best practices in sales
    - Relaxed/fun work environment
    - Little oversight, laxed work hours
    - Easy to network and gain exposure
    - Great culture
    - Ability to drive your own initiatives and career

Cons- The group environment, especially ELP, can be quite distracting and hard to focus
    - Salary is low and raises are rare
    - Rare to have a structured routine for a work day, need to be highly adaptable every day
    - Quite easy to work 50+ hour work weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide proper (and truthful) recruiting messages to ELP and do not sugar coat the job prospects or the salary and potential for raises.

Fun and exciting place to spend your first 5 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNI is a great place to learn everything from programming, to marketing, to leadership skills. Because the company is primarily made up of engineers, you have the opportunity to move into any discipline in the company if it interests you and you set your mind on it (if you are an engineer).

The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy.

Senior management is conservative. The company has no debt and the customer base is very diverse. Their website is great at offloading transactional sales from the direct sales force.

ConsEveryone complains about compensation, but very few people seem to leave. When you reach somewhere between 5 to 10 years, you will have learned a ton and be more than ready for "the real world." In fact you will excel there. NI hires the majority of people right out of college, which means most people have not worked anywhere else. Leaving the only place you know, especially if it is great (other than pay) is a scary proposition. If you are a top performer, leave. It is worth it. You will never be paid what you hope.

Do the math ~$1B revenue / ~7000 employees = $143k per employee! That is before you pay for all of the other expenses, including the cost of the products you are selling, the building, marketing, NIWeek, etc.

NI is a great place to work, but it's not the only great place. I'm thankful for my time at NI and I'm also thankful I won't be wondering "what if" after sticking around for an entire career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pendulum has swung too far. Job security and stability mean thousands of people pulling down the compensation. There are groups working really hard and other groups doing next to nothing.

Your top performers would thank you for a layoff.

Stable company with ethical CEO

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsStable. Good management. Room for growth. Low on politics.

ConsI hear from friends who left that salary is lower than what you might get at other companies.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 581 reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.