National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though honestly that depends on which group you're in"
    in 75 reviews
  • "The work environment is very fun, and everyone is very active outside of work"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The culture and people are amazing. Everyone works in cubicles even the C-level executives. Great company to work.

Database Marketing (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe people are great and willing to help each other out.

NI does not believe in layoffs. Even in tough economical times.

ConsThe pay is really low.

Used to be a great place to work.

Austin, TX

ProsLaid back culture, on-site medical center, on-site health center, great campus.

ConsLow pay, high cost of healthcare that increases every year, fewer benefits, continually losing perks (no bonuses, no raises)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf NI wants to stay on Forbes' "Top 100 Companies to Work For," there needs to be some action to improve employee morale. Our revenue is higher than ever, and continues to rise, but the employees see little of that. Sure, we have chargers for electric vehicles that 10 people can use, but that doesn't benefit the other 2,790 employees. What happened to the things that made NI better than any other major employer in town? The company benefits used to make up for the lower pay, but not anymore.

Technical Sales Rep

Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGave me alot of good job experience in sales. I met some very nice people and loved my co-workers. Learned good phone techniques for sales, learned oracle databases for our CRM.

ConsPay is crap, they are not a flexible work place, you live and die by the clock. I doubled my salary by going elsewhere.. oh and if you are a non-engineer forget about ever being promoted

Advice to Senior Managementpay better! People with non-engineering degree have talent too!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company, could be way better!

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosflexible work schedule, casual work environment, job security

Consbelow average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective

Advice to Senior Managementstop pretending the company can sustain significant growth without learning from others who have been there, done that.

Great atmosphere, smart people. I had to take a whole week off of work for Jury Duty and was paid for the whole week.

Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGym at the office, deck parties are great, everyone is friendly and smart.

ConsThe base pay could be higher.

Stable company. Friendly culture.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFriendly atmosphere. Relaxed environment. Challenging work.

ConsBase salary lower than average.

National Instruments is famous for LabVIEW.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProfessional, design, CAD, analysis. Excellent

ConsNo cons so far I think.

ELP Intern

ELP Intern (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsMeaningful project and great people. Great culture.

ConsI wasn't passionate about the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe full time employees leave because they aren't paid enough.

The people I work with make the job matter.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThere are a lot of extremely smart and hardworking people working at NI. High performance teams are a pleasure to work with and are the keystone of the entire organization. The work environment is laid back and no one is expected at their desk by a certain time as long as they get their work done.

ConsSalaries are well below average for the Austin tech sector despite claims otherwise by management. Senior management has decision paralysis. The offices are embarisngly ugly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's no longer 1995. There are plenty of tech companies that offer a great working environment AND competitive salary and benifits.

Great place to start a career and Austin is a great place to work, long term career potential questionable

Sales & Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsNI provides an easy transition from college to the professional workforce with a fun and challenging work environment. They hire talented and interesting employees which creates a fun culture.

ConsLow pay. Limited growth opportunity. Inexperienced management who promote more strongly biased to personal relationships rather than performance metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on experience and credentials as well as relationships. Realize that customer service breeds success rather than the simple belief that NI is the best. Look at why turnover is so high for tenured employees.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 581 reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.