National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though honestly that depends on which group you're in"
    in 68 reviews
  • "flexible work schedule, casual work environment, job security"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Sometimes the decision making process is too slow and seemed too conservative"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic company to grow skill sets and launch your professional career.

Group Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a seven year employee of NI and had numerous promotions during that time. There is a pointed focus on developing employee skill sets. A lot of in-house promotions, too. Great onsite amenities, such as multiple cafeterias, gym, health clinic (sooo convenient), volleyball courts, and more. Easy access off of Mopac, and right across the street from the Domain. The ESPP program is fantastic - free money to those that take advantage of it. The culture is very strong in this company, it really shows. This is the only company I worked for that spent a significant amount of time correctly managing employees, from timely praise and attentive listening, to performance management when necessary. That's probably the one thing I miss most about working at NI.

ConsCompensation policies. The bottom line is, fight hard for your starting salary. After that, you'll be subjected to an annual raise policy that, when they're given (some years not), are small bumps (2-6% on average). There is no level-setting of salaries once you are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou clearly hire the best and the brightest, but retention should be a stronger focus. I get the business case for your raise policy, but you're bleeding star performers who quickly eclipse their modest starting pay. Until you revisit this, you'll be stuck in a cycle of launching careers and not capitalizing on your development investments.

Great place to jumpstart your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments

ProsGreat company culture, innovative, in-house marketing department

ConsHorizontal company, limited budget per department

Coordinator at National Instruments

Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTraining, work like balance, consistency, security

Conspersonal growth due to lack of promotion within, promotions are hard to come by, raises are minimal

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider discussing promotions and personal growth and making these things happen throughout the company.

Work hard and play hard.

Inside Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work! Environment is well balanced... work hard and play hard.

Some changes are affecting immediate business, but it's with the intention to be better organized and create stronger organization. We are aligning structures, systems and tools with other offices around the world.

Conscareer opportunities are offered, but no always met in the short run. Compensation ($$) is not the greatest! Sometimes you just get more responsibilities added.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are good ideas in place to make business better. Sometimes it looks like the implementation of those ideas is a half speed. This sometimes affects business and compensation. But at the end of the day that's not really considered.

National Instruments is a great company to start your career in Software Development.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company culture.
Great benefits.
Good work/life balance.
Sound management.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement for senior developers.

Great place to work, not the best compensation.

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros- Company culture
- Employee amenities
- Great place to learn
- Sense of community is strong

Cons- Compensation (salary)
- Organization in some groups
- Very silo'd work environment

NI - A good place to work...if you have the patience

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment, smart people, challenging work

ConsLack of strong leadership to get problems solved, break through old mindsets. Lots of roadblocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be better listeners and stronger problem solvers at times while balancing the voice of the individual employees and middle management. I would like to see true Lean Leadership as described by people like Jim Womack.

Great until recently

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture, fun place to work. Fun products (mostly).

ConsLower pay than comparable companies. Great culture is at risk due to slower growth.

No loyalty.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork/life balance is encouraged.
Coworkers are generally pretty great/smart.
Work is interesting and fun.

ConsTime off policies are to low
Poor management - don't really understand how to grow employees and provide opportunities. Too much politics.
Salaries/total compensation is low and losing ground to other technology companies

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. Follow the 100 year plan. Cutting raises to employees and giving 24% raises and 15% bonues to top management doesn't sit well with most experienced employees.

When reorganizations happen, new managers often give preferential treatment to older groups and newer groups get ignored.

Used to have great culture, always pay less than industry/regional average.

Database Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsJob security is the main reason people stay at this company. Not sure the current climate, but you'd have to do something pretty serious to get fired. A great place to start a career and get some experience.

ConsNI is a pretty good place for entry level engineers and the few who the company feels it really needs and compensates reasonably well. Other than that, I've never worked with so many brilliant yet underpaid coworkers anywhere else. Their goal for paying people is 80% of median, so not even average. That's their goal! When the company hit $1B in revenue everything changed. No longer focused on culture, no longer care about the people. They are focused only on the bottom line and growing by 20% every quarter YOY. They had great growth last year, but missed their operating margin. Employees got a really small profit sharing bonus and CFO/COO got a 20% raise. Leadership also is changing, Dr. Truchard is well liked and trusted but he's retiring soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some direction and start paying people what they're worth.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 537 reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.