National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance(in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective(in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process(in 15 reviews)

Great Place for Recent Graduates and Senior Professionals Looking for Work-Life Balance

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStrong culture focused on teamwork. Community-oriented business that dedicates employee time and money to education initiatives. Great program for building recent college grads into engineering leaders. Core focus on customer success and satisfaction. Fantastic CEO!

ConsMust be an engineer to advance, even in marketing-focused roles. Too internally focused on building consensus and having the "perfect plan." Slow-paced, meeting-obsessed culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions. For example, often times, I had to present information to every individual on the working team and then present the same information to the group as a whole. It would have been more efficient to get buy-in virtually first or present the information to the group as a whole first. Then, schedule a follow-up meeting if things need to get hashed out.

An Above Average Job

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

ConsSalary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMy work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

ConsThe internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changing strategies

Field Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCompany is focusing on having better customer experience, and employees being more goal oriented to achieve that. Creates career opportunities.

ConsChanges are not happening at the same time. So every 6 months there are new things to work on or you just lost 6 months of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has the overall idea of where the company is moving. This adjustment has to be gradual and well explained.

Great place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance. The culture is one of a kind and you can be creative in how you do your job. They encourage personal growth. They also take care of their top performers

ConsThe pay could be better

Pros and Cons

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood place to get started straight out of school.

ConsMobility is limited and learning opportunities are limited.

Good work-life balance, poor personal growth

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- relaxed culture
    - good work-life balance
    - flexible work hours
    - at work doctor's office
    - good cafeteria food

Cons- stagnant career progression
    - low pay and fewer pay raises compared to market
    - not challenging
    - unskilled management and leadership
    - more hiring abroad than local
    - promotions without pay raises is common

Advice to Senior Management- low expectations leads to sub-par worker performance
    - unobtainable goals are not motivators to anyone

Great place to work

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-Good work life balance
    -Friendly co-workers

Cons-lower pay
    -not a lot of room for growth

Great place to work. Some growing pains

Digital Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere is always a challenging project to work on. The people you work with are very smart. Very good culture. Lots of innovative solutions in their products. There is lots of opportunities for training and professional growth.

ConsCompensation has been a challenge in the last 2 or so years due to the slower growth and the economy. The overall T&M market not growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on maintaining top talent as is the main asset of the company.

Engineering management

Engineering Management (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSolid hardware and software product platforms. Good work-life balance, work hard, play hard. Located in North Austin, which makes it an easier commute.

ConsSalary has lots of room for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary has lots of room for improvement.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!