National Instruments Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.6

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 15 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

They trained me too well. 3 years later everyone is willing to pay me more than NI.

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and work with talented people. They invest heavily on your training. Management is friendly and smart. Decent site in Austin. NI week is very enjoyable for employees.

Cons

They claim to hire only the best an brigtest. They hire above average performers, but they pay below average salaries. NI invests very cautiosly, you'll never see growth higher than 20% YoY, bonus will be small. If you work harder than everyone you won't get any rewards. Half of the skills you learn are non transferable.

Pay above average salaries. Let R&D work closer with customers. Stop worrying about stability and start investing more aggressively where it makes sense.

Great Work Culture and excellent place to start your professional career

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work culture.
    Friendly co workers.
    Great scope to learn a lot.

Cons

One of the cons which I felt was the pay offered by National Instruments is very less, for the amount of work they require you to do the compensation is very less.

Please consider increasing the compensation rate, it is one dark spot in an otherwise good workplace.

Fun Place to Intern

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

great work-life balance, considerate managers and employees, strong system of company values, fun location (Austin)

Cons

As an intern, I didn't see many cons in the company. I grew as a software engineer while I was there and developed good connections with other employees. I have heard indirectly that competitive salaries are a concern.

Awesome internship!

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great community, facility, and intern events

Cons

Pay can be a little low

bump your intern salary!!

Good company, cares about its people

Former Employee - RF Engineer Intern
    Former Employee - RF Engineer Intern

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were great and it was a very good learning opportunity

Cons

The pay was a bit low

National Instuments

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice environment
    balanced life
    enjoyment
    life is good

Cons

Perks are more than Cons
    pay is good

Great working environment

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good work-life balance

Cons

relative less compensation compare to similar companies.

Incredible company that very selectively compensates its employees

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time

Pros

NI's culture is second to none. Depending on your team, the flexibility offered is great for a work-life balance and people are friendly and willing to go the extra mile for you. The projects remain challenging for me even after all these years, and the benefits (non-salary) are still great. The stability and not having to worry about losing your job is always valuable.

Cons

Salary is universally the top complaint at NI. They simply do not compensate the masses well, or to performance. There are a select few, particularly management positions, that get paid above market. But everyone else, gets a pat on the back, and a "Good Job!", but no corresponding acknowledgement when it comes to compensation. It is frustrating to be told over and over and over again that you are doing a great job but as you're already paid relatively well compared to your peers, you won't receive a raise, or you will only receive a negligible amount. There are only so many time this can happen before people quit, and that is evident in the past few years where employees are starting to take flight. NI has lately become a great place to cut your teeth, gain valuable experience and then move on to top paying jobs elsewhere, instead of being a long term employer as it used to be.

Realize that if someone is being continually passed over for a raise, but still receiving top performance reviews, that they will either stop performing at the level you need, or they will leave. If this is not something of concern to NI, then perhaps offshoring for cheaper talent, or hiring a more junior person who will work harder, not smarter, is the way to go. It's a pity as many at NI are brushing off their resumes and no longer view it as a long term employer.

Good

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

balance between life and work, good interpersonal relationship, not so much salary, in all I am satisfied with this company, it's a good place for people looking for stable life

Cons

Not so energetic, people working there seem very stable, not looking for more chance of changing work or venture for startup. It could be hardly a con, but for people who have a startup dream like me, I would prefer to another place

Used to be a great company, but bureaucracy and growth have changed the company from fun to just work.

Current Employee - Software Group Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Group Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work for new developers and senior developers within R&D. Lots to learn and do and amazing products. Marketing org and significantly improved over the years and sales has as well.

Cons

IT and manufacturing get the raw end of the deal. Often way under payed, over worked and poorly managed. In R&D, staff engineers are stuck in a little bit in purgatory. They have the knowledge to do more, but have no say in the decisions and aren't empowered. Group managers are the same way. Senior managers have to sign off on everything. In summary, NI hasn't handled growth well. Adding layers and not properly educating their management, but assuming they'll learn through growth from within.

National Instruments Photos