National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective (in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start at

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe projects are very interesting and enjoyable to work on. The benefits are good, and the opportunities to learn new things when you start are many. I get to wear shorts everyday and occasionally drink beer at work functions. Talk about nice culture. There are decent opportunities for career growth. The CEO, CFO, and other executives are pretty great. They've been able to weather two recessions now without any layoffs.

ConsIt seems like the company is currently going through some growing pains. I'm sure they will eventually work through it, but the company isn't really growing. Salary quickly falls behind the industry average after a few years of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight need to try new strategies if the company hasn't been growing, rather than waiting to weather the storm or trying to squeeze every little thing for more profit.

Good place to start career

Writer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere is challenging, interesting work available with supportive management, co-workers, and training opportunities. The work culture and environment are positive.

ConsSome do not consider the salaries to be comparable to similar opportunities available at other companies, including the offered benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on more than just the entry-level careers and positions.

Very friendly place to work, not the best at salary and growth

Staff Technical Writer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people are friendly, smart, and motivated. The campus is lovely, the company really has a mission.

ConsPay is low, advancement opportunities are stifled by thick wall of 10-20 year experience employees, vacation is pathetic

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter vacation, better telecommuting, better accountability.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and exciting place to work!

Software Engineering Intern I (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCasual dress code with food and events going on all the time. Large opportunity to grow in rank quickly. Management is easy to communicate with.

ConsAustin is hot and the roads around town and weather are not an ideal environment. Housing prices are increasing rapidly as well. The company's great, but the area's not the best.

Great Place for Recent Graduates and Senior Professionals Looking for Work-Life Balance

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStrong culture focused on teamwork. Community-oriented business that dedicates employee time and money to education initiatives. Great program for building recent college grads into engineering leaders. Core focus on customer success and satisfaction. Fantastic CEO!

ConsMust be an engineer to advance, even in marketing-focused roles. Too internally focused on building consensus and having the "perfect plan." Slow-paced, meeting-obsessed culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions. For example, often times, I had to present information to every individual on the working team and then present the same information to the group as a whole. It would have been more efficient to get buy-in virtually first or present the information to the group as a whole first. Then, schedule a follow-up meeting if things need to get hashed out.

An Above Average Job

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

ConsSalary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMy work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

ConsThe internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

Changing strategies

Field Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCompany is focusing on having better customer experience, and employees being more goal oriented to achieve that. Creates career opportunities.

ConsChanges are not happening at the same time. So every 6 months there are new things to work on or you just lost 6 months of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has the overall idea of where the company is moving. This adjustment has to be gradual and well explained.

Stable company, low to avg salary

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery stable employer... almost too much so as that tends to keep some dead weight around. They didn't micromanage in my dept, and let you drive your own projects.

ConsLow to average salary. Sometimes too much red tape to getting small things done. They keep budgets very tight in order to try and hit a growth number in percentage that I've never seen them hit. This is what your company performance bonus is based off of. Little to no formal training is provided.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosperks, culture, work life balance manage the perception of working hard and you can go far without doing a whole lot of work

Consunclear leadership direction or it is stated but not followed and if you are a leader you may get held back for upsetting the status quo

Advice to Senior Managementstart over

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!