National Instruments

www.ni.com

National Instruments Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance(in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective(in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process(in 15 reviews)

N/A

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros1. Flexibility
    2. Growth opp
    3. Teaching offsite

Cons1. Horrible Management
    2. Lot of politics with respect to positions in the Marketing dept

Advice to Senior ManagementDont make managers compete with reporting employees for the same positions outside the dept

Terrible experience-- got stuck in the worst group at an otherwise great comoany

Marketing Communications Group (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSurrounded by creative, hugely innovative minds

ConsInternational marcom group consists of unprofessional folks-- shocking. They spoke to each other in asian languages in meetings making no attempt to include the english speaker in their midst. It is like a little inner circle-- in which case, why did they hire me? I quit in no time. Nightmare. No clear directio. Was ever provided, i was left to scramble and find my own bearings. Hostile atmosphere!

Advice to Senior ManagementOne ill-advised group can tarnish the image of an entire corporation. Hope someone is taking stock of such groups within your company.

Incompetent management

ELDP (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsYou will obtain valuable experience on NI products. Once you do, get out and find a better job else where.

ConsIncompetent management. Incompetent pay. I will get out of here soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the compensation package, screen out bad leadership

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Culture; Below Average Salaries

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNI has a great company culture and offers very stable employement. They have great benefits and you will find opportunity to challenge yourself if thats what you want.

ConsBelow average salaries across the entire company and limited recognition for achievement. You will also find some employees get by doing the bare minimum because others will pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employee achievements, be more transparent about salary information and increase salaries across the entire company. Be more open to international transfers.

Great place to start out, pay kinda is bad

ELP Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompetent senior management
    Homegrown mentality and loyalty to employees
    Encourages thinking outside the box
    Given a lot of freedom

Conssalary is lower than avg
    should give high performers more incentive to stay motivated and stay

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the fat,

Feedback

Group Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexible, easy going, smart people

Consconsensus driven, lower pay compared to market

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hardware vice presidents need to improve. I often see them become very non-technical and then they surround themselves with people worse than them. They need to appreciate their lower level employees better.
    Also, I see many people leave (with different official reasons) but behind the scenes it is PAY, PAY and PAY. When it is a DAQ and GPIB company, lower pay with new grads can work fine but as the company continues to focus on vertical markets/industries, they need to retain the experienced employees.
    HR could use much improvement. I have gotten feedback from multiple people that the VP of HR really doesn't care if you don't agree with him.

AEs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexibility. People. Work environment. Benefits.

ConsPay. Promotions. Visibility. Traditional. Conservative.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better.

Pretty Good Experience

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLot of responsiblity, casual work environment, competitive pay ($17/hr in 2009). Great community with other interns

ConsWorked on project by myself. Would have preferred more collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce interactive engineer experiences

Absolutely great place to work for so many reasons

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMost management really cares about the people. Work-life balance is priority. Lays off are absolute last resort, really. Smart people to work with, challenging problems to solve.

ConsConsensus-driven decisions slow things down. Competitive, ambitious types sometimes eventually burn out from lack of large performance bonuses. R&D department is favored over anyone else, and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing because it has shown amazing results in recruiting, prestige, and ability to minimize recession impact.

National Instruments

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Prosit is good and close to where i live

Consno cons that i know of

Advice to Senior Managementyou should definitely work here

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!