National Instruments

Identity Crisis

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The position I had gave me a lot of flexibility and autonomy in what I did. I drove my own schedule and felt that the group I worked with collaborated very well. The team I was on accomplished some pretty great things despite the lack of support from the leadership.

Cons

I did not feel valued by the company. I felt very valued by my team and my manager, but that's about where it stopped. I wasn't compensated properly, paid 40% below where I should have been. We were told to win opportunities at all costs, so we innovated and created software solutions. It was quickly shot down because my group wasn't suppose to "make products". Because we were suppose to "win opportunities at all cost" and what we needed to do to win wasn't supported by the company, we were very successful in getting in the door, but shortly kicked out. In short, no repeat business and every customer left on bad terms. All the while the leadership was trying to create a software application that mimicked what we had already done, but wouldn't be ready for 3 years. Way too late in the game. In other words, they wasted a lot of money on my team because what we were doing wasn't "adding value" to the company. Fast forward, now RnD is supporting our software solution and the one leadership wanted is getting killed. At least a move in the right direction, but too little too late.

Figure out which direction you are going in. Stop this identity crisis of not wanting to create and support solution level software, but then want to gain the revenue that requires software solutions. Value your employees more, you have already lost the "best and brightest" and there is only more to leave if you don't start valuing them (that includes, but is not limited to paying them what they are worth)

Not what it seems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, many good people trying to do the right thing, great insurance

Cons

low salary, "culture" is passive aggresive, advancement not based on capability

An Engineer cannot be anything they want, hire more experts and move out of the past.

You will learn a lot. However, at a great cost.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer

I worked at National Instruments full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a good reason for NI being called one of the best companies to start a career as an engineer. Although everything will be based on NI software (LabVIEW, Veristand, Teststand, Diadem, etc.), and NI hardware, words cannot express how much I have learned during my tenure at NI.

Cons

if you seek work-life balance, you are quite out of luck here. Also, the compensation is not the highest. Company benefits and environment seem to worsen, as time passes by.

For freshouts only.

Former Employee - Test Engineer
    Former Employee - Test Engineer

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

OK place to get your feet wet out of college.

Cons

Nepotism is RAMPANT. Promote-from-within practices have created 3 layers of low to middle management with little to no experience outside NI.

They hire college graduates and do their best to indoctrinate them in the "NI Way". That's a real term, by the way. Salaries are kept low; compensation and benefits are poor. Departures are replaced with fresh-outs, and promotions from within fill the vacancy.

Expectations of work output were high at one time, but with the very poor compensation of staff those expectations have fallen to a disheartening level. As long as employees "fit the culture", i.e., drink the Kool Aid, they will maintain their positions at least, or be promoted to low level manager positions where they don't hold up technical projects. Technically proficient experts who contribute excellent work but don't parrot the company BS (and I'm not talking about myself here - I realized quickly this is the kind of place where I needed to keep my mouth closed) are hammered until they fit in the hole or leave.

I have personally witnessed unethical behavior and outright dishonesty by management. I've seen false figures presented to the public on technical reports. A colleague was reviewed negatively for not attending social events outside of company time. I've witnessed sales staff misrepresent information. I realize this goes on everywhere, but there doesnt' seem to be any focus on integrity if it benefits the company.

This is a Kool Aid culture; drink deep and keep your nose down.

If you've never worked outside of NI, leave. See the world. If you have, shame on you.

Analog Intern C series

Former Intern - Analog Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Analog Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good engineering practices and work nice culture

Cons

Low pay. Need to pay more to attract talent.

if you want to attract talent increase compensation

staff hardware engineer

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great working environment, convenient work location

Cons

poor management stability. Low in salary :)

Strong culture and team environment, great place to start a career

Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture, lots of fun activities outside of work
    Excellent training program for folks right out of college
    Good career paths into engineering, marketing or sales

Cons

This has been many years since I worked there, but the pay was geared towards individuals right out of college, so it was not as high for more experienced individuals
    As NI grew, it lost some of its character and culture

I think overall, NI has/had good leadership and is doing a lot of good things.

Market Research Analyst Intern

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in! The company is very team-centric and supports initiative and education.

Cons

As an intern, I wasn't with the company long enough to identify any issues.

Software Engineer, Intern at NI

Former Intern - Software Engineer, Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Software Engineer, Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Being an intern here was great. There is an entire structured intern program including training, intermediate evaluation and feedback sessions with a supervisor, and an exit interview. There is even an Intern Day. The work is interesting and challenging if this domain of work interests you. You work as part of a fully functioning software team which provides very valuable experience.

Cons

Getting into and out of a significant software project in just 3 months is difficult. Transitioning from small school projects to large software systems is a challenge.

Be sure training covers relevant material. The intern training felt like a blanket training and most of what I learned I never used throughout my internship.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great, smart people to work with. Culture of innovation. Focus on career growth and training. Good health benefits.

Cons

Medium sized company growing into large company causes growing pains

National Instruments Photos