National Instruments

www.ni.com
Employer Engaged

NI is more concerned to be known as a Great Employer than actually being one

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Employees are smart, knowledgeable, and approachable;
    - Benefits include 401(k) matching, health care, dental care, medical prescriptions, and most of the minimum expected benefits in the industry.

Cons

- Under-par compensation
    - Lack of recognition in teams working on less known National Instruments product
    - Diminishing health benefits
    - Very few opportunities to grow
    - Books not as open as they claim to be

Spend less resources trying to be on a Best Employer list and more in being one a retaining, what you call, the best and the brightest.

As time passes, there seems to be many inefficiencies and not as much investment in the employees.

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture driven, location is nice

Cons

Low salary, benefits are not great, management is incompetent

Learn how to manage a team. Learn how to back up your employees instead of being concerned about advancing your own career or covering your own mistakes. Be a leader.

Talk a big game about employees, but doesn't match reality

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work and you can learn a lot. It's a good place to start a career. They have covered parking and an on-site doctor and gym. The pay is decent, unless you consider how much overtime you have to work, and then it's really not so great.

Cons

Work/life balance is very poor. Regular overtime is expected. My manager calls me on a regular basis on weekends and asks me to work. We frequently have weekends where the entire team is expected to work saturday and sunday. This can happen for multiple weeks in a row. Emails frequently go out on friday afternoons telling people they need to get extra work done over the weekend. People are constantly checking emails from home, and you will see emails going from 12pm at night and then again at 7am in the morning. While I find the pay satisfactory in general, it's quite a bit less than other companies that work you to the bone like this.

Upper management is ultra conservative and constantly paranoid. They are in a constant state of panic about the company performing poorly, even though the stock seems to be doing pretty well. As a result, there are many salary freezes and promotion freezes. And you are constantly told you have to work lots of overtime to help out because the company is in such big trouble. You will be inundated with pep talks about how the company is going to go bankrupt if you don't work constantly at a very high intensity.

Health benefits are slashed more and more every year while the out of pocket expenses go up. Vacation time and 401k matching are sub-par compared to other companies.

They recently laid off all manufacturing in Austin, and I'm seeing engineering being outsourced as well. R&D hiring is rapid in foreign countries, while Austin is in an almost continual state of hiring freeze. They recently cancelled plans to build a new building for Austin employees, so it seems they are not foreseeing much expansion in Austin anytime soon.

Bottom line is they talk a lot about how it's such a great place to work and how the culture is so great and you have great work/life balance, but I find few of those things to be true in reality. Everyone is constantly fed the company line that it's a great place to work, and many people take it at face value and never realize that it's much better elsewhere. Most employees are hired straight from school, so they're just excited about having their first job and really don't know any better and assume everything there is as great as they're told it is.

Management is beholden to shareholders. Cutting costs is the bottom line. I could offer advice about treating employees better and not working them so hard that they are in a constant state of burnout, but unless I'm a wealthy shareholder you're really not going to listen.

Culture driven workplace

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 21 years, and they are definitely focused on making sure the work environment caters to the employee. They believe in the work/life balance, and offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours of work. Their benefits offering is very impressive.

Cons

The salaries for mid level management positions are not as competitive as what I have seen based on my research of similar positions in the market. They do balance that very well with an impressive benefits offering.

Overall good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Work is rewarding, especially if you work on a high visibility projects.
    - Flexible schedule, but expect to work long hours to meet deadlines.
    - Relatively decent medical benefits, although they've been declining over the years.
    - Relatively stable employer.

Cons

- Poor work/life balance
    - Not many career opportunities available unless you start as an application engineer. Promotion beyond senior depends on whether you have the opportunity to work on high visibility projects.
    - Substandard pay. Don't expect bonuses even if you do good work, except for the profit sharing that everyone gets.

Reward your employees better when they perform well.

Very good culture for the first 12 years, now it is run by the books to increase profits over saving the culture.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company if you are in R&D. If you are in Manufacturing it is a gamble.

Cons

Lower pay, and a very young workforce with limited knowledge.

stick with the culture and don't sacrifice headcount for higher gross margins.

Going downhill

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work/life balance is still pretty good. It still has a laidback culture. The campus is beautiful. It is a good place to start out a career.

Cons

If you are an intern or new it is a great place, but those that have been there a long time know better. The company has been going downhill for the last 3 or 4 years, which coincides with management's push to be a billion dollar company. The execs have forgotten what got them there and now seem to only care about their own pocket books. They are closing the Austin manufacturing and about 200 people will be out of a job. But truth be told some execs have been wanting to close down the Austin mfg operations for years. The only people who advance are the brown-nosers as is evidenced by the team leaders in manufacturing getting placed in other positions over qualified workers. The consensus driven culture makes it impossible to get projects completed. Managers have no clue what their team members do for them. In hindsight I wish I had never come to work here. It has been 10 years wasted, but that's soon to change.

Learn and understand what your team members do. Make sure your team is adding true value to the company. Try promoting those who are qualified rather than those who kiss your butts. Don't be afraid to empower your employees to make decisions. Try listening to what your employees have to say, even if their opinion does not match yours.

Great place to work

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The internship program at National Instruments is well organized and there is a good support system in place for interns. The project that I was given to work on was meaningful and I was able to voice my opinions to shape the feature I developed over the course of my internship. The atmosphere of the company is also very good and integrating into the full-time team went smoothly.

Cons

The salary that I was offered was lower than that of other companies, although I chose to work here because I felt like my values matched very well with that of the company.

National Instruments is Dedicated to its Employees

Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture, Values, Products, Vision, Growth

Cons

Compensation and retention... although it's decent, the quality of employees tends to attract other companies to come in and offer much more money.

Keep working to give employees a good reason to stay long term

Great place to work!

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- The campus is beautiful and offers a full sized basketball court and two sand volleyball courts.
    - Lots of summer activities for interns.
    - Projects are meaningful and fun.
    - Great place to work, the culture is awesome and the CEO is very visible.

The thing about National Instruments is that it is a company of engineers run by engineers. The CEO Dr. T is an EE major from the University of Texas. And his competency trickles down to the senior management. There is no micromanaging of any kind here. Everyone in the company is very approachable.

Cons

- Some of the workflow processes are old.
    - Pay is moderate.

National Instruments Photos