National Instruments

www.ni.com
  www.ni.com

National Instruments Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

great company culture, nice place to work

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

If there is a company that truly epitomizes the Texan work ethic, it is national instruments. Everyone I have had the chance to work has been highly proficient, focused and dedicated to creating high quality products. The mindset to create value for the customer pervades all levels of the hierarchy, from the engineer to senior management. I am really proud of the products NI creates. I am not sure what the future holds, but I will always be a fan of the company for instilling in me the desire and focus to deliver the best in your chosen field.

Cons

* The remuneration and perks pale in comparison with the rest of the industry. But, this is the price one has to pay for job stability. The company philosophy lays major emphasis on company culture, and this has been demonstrated time and again.

* Because of the highly monolithic chain of command, your manager is the key to your future. I feel peer reviews should also be factored into appraisals, unlike the present practice where they are only used as feedback.

* Some less deserving people have been promoted to higher levels, and really deserving ones have to wait their turn. A more flexible job promotion policy would really help retain the best talent.

see cons.

Great place to start a career.

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

There are always opportunities to drive your career at NI, especially when you come straight out of college. I worked in the Applications Engineering department for about a year and the atmosphere is great. You meet a lot of really great and driven engineers and management is always making sure that you have what you need to succeed there. If you want to be uber-techical, there are roles for you to develop that. If you want to try your hand at marketing, there are opportunities for that, and everything in between. If you are driven, you will succeed there, since there are always opportunities to move around and do what you love.

Cons

The pay is fair, but not great. Many of the people I knew starting out would work long hours, and some still do, but the pay doesn't really reflect this. Of course, they were working on things that they would probably be doing in their free time anyway, like building a car that can be controlled by an iPhone, or a Rubik's cube playing robot. However, if you want a 9-5 job that you can leave as soon as the clock hits 5, it might not be for you.

Keep doing what you are doing. Alec and Dr. T are very forward thinking and treat their employees like people, not like numbers on a spreadsheet. I am a little concerned that the company is so Dr. T focused, as he seems like whatever he thinks is best always happens. However, he's not getting any younger and NI shouldn't be driven by just one man.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Very nice campus, great people, conservative approach, committed to investing in it's employees. Stable place to work, will go to reduction in workforce only as last resort.

Cons

Homegrown managment can be good thing but too much can limit innovation and perspective. Some of the "Spin" is annoying

At NI Engineering is important but try not to make it so obvious that non engineering employees are a secod class.

Great place to start your career for engineering undergrads who want sales/marketing experience

Former Employee - ELP Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - ELP Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

NI is a very employee focused company. The ELP program in particular is a fun place to work with an almost frat-house like culture. Austin can't be be as far as living in a cool city.

Cons

There is a major consensus based decision making culture and the company is extremely conservative with risk. As a result, some very ambitious or entrepreneurial type personalities may get frustrated.

Encourage more risk taking - break down bureaucratic barriers to change and leadership. Pay slightly higher salaries. Become more self-critical internally.

The Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Comfortable
    Low Stress compared to my previous jobs
    smart people
    awesome software
    Upper Management has a great forward looking attitude
    Middle Managment manages as if you were an adult and not a child
    Decent pay
    Good benefits
    No Layoffs

Cons

Austin Traffic
    No clear mechanism to get rid of dead wood when necessary
    not much else negative to say about this

Keep up the great work; although work needs to happen to keep your best and brightest and remove the attitude that this is a great place to begin your career. I started outside of NI; and I'm looking at NI as the place to finish my career at.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Great and smart people
    Challenging projects
    Great work / life balance

Cons

Pay is lower than other companies

Keep up the good work!

Glad to have a job

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

-great atmosphere
    -fun people to work with
    -lots of freedom
    -given leadership opportunities early on
    -benefits, onsite healthcare, social events, volunteer initiatives

Cons

-young, inexperienced management
    -wish I had more help in career development
    -not always recognized for the effort/time you put into a project

-allow for more vacation
    -keep taking care of your employees
    -keep the volunteer initiatives, social events, these are the things that keep you going in the state of the economy today

National Instruments Photos