National Instruments

321 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stable company with ethical CEO

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable. Good management. Room for growth. Low on politics.

ConsI hear from friends who left that salary is lower than what you might get at other companies.

The culture and people are amazing. Everyone works in cubicles even the C-level executives. Great company to work.

Database Marketing (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are great and willing to help each other out.

NI does not believe in layoffs. Even in tough economical times.

ConsThe pay is really low.

Used to be a great place to work.

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLaid back culture, on-site medical center, on-site health center, great campus.

ConsLow pay, high cost of healthcare that increases every year, fewer benefits, continually losing perks (no bonuses, no raises)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf NI wants to stay on Forbes' "Top 100 Companies to Work For," there needs to be some action to improve employee morale. Our revenue is higher than ever, and continues to rise, but the employees see little of that. Sure, we have chargers for electric vehicles that 10 people can use, but that doesn't benefit the other 2,790 employees. What happened to the things that made NI better than any other major employer in town? The company benefits used to make up for the lower pay, but not anymore.

Good Company, could be way better!

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexible work schedule, casual work environment, job security

Consbelow average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective

Advice to Senior Managementstop pretending the company can sustain significant growth without learning from others who have been there, done that.

Technical Sales Rep

Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGave me alot of good job experience in sales. I met some very nice people and loved my co-workers. Learned good phone techniques for sales, learned oracle databases for our CRM.

ConsPay is crap, they are not a flexible work place, you live and die by the clock. I doubled my salary by going elsewhere.. oh and if you are a non-engineer forget about ever being promoted

Advice to Senior Managementpay better! People with non-engineering degree have talent too!!

Great atmosphere, smart people. I had to take a whole week off of work for Jury Duty and was paid for the whole week.

Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGym at the office, deck parties are great, everyone is friendly and smart.

ConsThe base pay could be higher.

Stable company. Friendly culture.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFriendly atmosphere. Relaxed environment. Challenging work.

ConsBase salary lower than average.

The people I work with make the job matter.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a lot of extremely smart and hardworking people working at NI. High performance teams are a pleasure to work with and are the keystone of the entire organization. The work environment is laid back and no one is expected at their desk by a certain time as long as they get their work done.

ConsSalaries are well below average for the Austin tech sector despite claims otherwise by management. Senior management has decision paralysis. The offices are embarisngly ugly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's no longer 1995. There are plenty of tech companies that offer a great working environment AND competitive salary and benifits.

ELP Intern

ELP Intern (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern for less than a year

ProsMeaningful project and great people. Great culture.

ConsI wasn't passionate about the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe full time employees leave because they aren't paid enough.

Future isn't too bright

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work/life balance. Nice campus close to everything Austin has to offer. Get to work with some very intelligent people. Good place to start career, but not for the experienced professional

ConsPolitics is running rampant... Inbred management does not have a clue about growing a business. Innovation has come to a stand-still and any current minimal growth comes from acquisitions. Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process... leading to stagnant growth.

Salaries are way below industry average and bonuses do not make up for it since they are mostly based on growth and not profit even though they call it "profit sharing". Promotions do not come with salary increases and merit raises do not keep up with inflation. Top performers are not recognized for their contributions, so end up leaving the company. Company is as cheap as they get... refusing to spend any money to improve the business.

Depth of leadership is very shallow. The CEO is great, but he is 70 years old and there really isn't anybody who can fill his shoes if he retires. The CFO may be a good candidate, but he is way too conservative to help with growth and there are many case studies which prove it is never a good idea to put a number cruncher in charge of an engineering company.

The Fortune Top 100 Companies to Work rating is more propaganda than anything. First of all, companies need to pay to be on the list and secondly, the employees filling out the surveys can be hand selected for the best results.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up the purse strings and stop insulting your employees with very low salaries. Austin is getting very expensive and there are plenty of other employers willing to fill the void if you will not. Reconfigure the bonus structure to give employees incentive to improve. Bring in some external experienced management with a proven track record for growing a company... but this will actually mean paying them what they are worth.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings in Texas — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 321 reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.