National Instruments

Updated December 17, 2014
3.6

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

391 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Culture driven workplace

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 21 years, and they are definitely focused on making sure the work environment caters to the employee. They believe in the work/life balance, and offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours of work. Their benefits offering is very impressive.

Cons

The salaries for mid level management positions are not as competitive as what I have seen based on my research of similar positions in the market. They do balance that very well with an impressive benefits offering.

NI is more concerned to be known as a Great Employer than actually being one

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Employees are smart, knowledgeable, and approachable;
    - Benefits include 401(k) matching, health care, dental care, medical prescriptions, and most of the minimum expected benefits in the industry.

Cons

- Under-par compensation
    - Lack of recognition in teams working on less known National Instruments product
    - Diminishing health benefits
    - Very few opportunities to grow
    - Books not as open as they claim to be

Spend less resources trying to be on a Best Employer list and more in being one a retaining, what you call, the best and the brightest.

NI gets worse the bigger it gets and all the it cares about is growing

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance
    The job offers you get when you leave after a few years

Cons

Compensation
    Culture stability
    Senior Management
    Career growth after 5 years
    Denial about future prospects of company growth

You know what you're doing; it's intentional. Keep trying to woo interns and new hires while screwing the people who actually make products that produce revenue for the company until they're so underpaid and frustrated that they leave.

A good place to start as a software developer

Former Employee - Tenured Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tenured Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Established, stable company
    * Lots of smart people
    * Customers do amazing things with NI products
    * Learn basics of software development

NI was a great place to start a career. I learned a ton and worked with very smart coworkers.

Cons

NI was once a fast growth tech company with lots of innovation and excitement. Now it has matured and hit a plateau, becoming a medium sized company where it's hard to be more than a cog in the machine.

A handful of senior technical people are the gatekeepers to what and how things are done. Those ways are not usually industry standard or industry leading, but somewhat home-grown, "we do things differently because we are different from other software development companies", and so you will not get exposed to better concepts because these senior tech gatekeepers will disallow them. Also, the range of technologies you will work on is narrow: primarily desktop software, not web or mobile.

Without having been at NI for ten to twenty years, you will not get to become one of these gatekeepers. NI has long prized hiring from college, promoting from within, and even people who have been at the company five years are considered relatively new. This is a strength and a weakness. There ends up being an in-bred tunnel vision on improving things because everyone at NI thinks they are an exception to the rule that is proven to work in the industry.

Challenge the senior technical gatekeepers. Give other developers a larger voice so that new ideas can come in. Hire senior tech people from other companies who bring better ideas. Adopt software development best practices and quit thinking you are different than other software development houses.

Overall good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Work is rewarding, especially if you work on a high visibility projects.
    - Flexible schedule, but expect to work long hours to meet deadlines.
    - Relatively decent medical benefits, although they've been declining over the years.
    - Relatively stable employer.

Cons

- Poor work/life balance
    - Not many career opportunities available unless you start as an application engineer. Promotion beyond senior depends on whether you have the opportunity to work on high visibility projects.
    - Substandard pay. Don't expect bonuses even if you do good work, except for the profit sharing that everyone gets.

Reward your employees better when they perform well.

Very good culture for the first 12 years, now it is run by the books to increase profits over saving the culture.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company if you are in R&D. If you are in Manufacturing it is a gamble.

Cons

Lower pay, and a very young workforce with limited knowledge.

stick with the culture and don't sacrifice headcount for higher gross margins.

Great place to work

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship program at National Instruments is well organized and there is a good support system in place for interns. The project that I was given to work on was meaningful and I was able to voice my opinions to shape the feature I developed over the course of my internship. The atmosphere of the company is also very good and integrating into the full-time team went smoothly.

Cons

The salary that I was offered was lower than that of other companies, although I chose to work here because I felt like my values matched very well with that of the company.

The blue cool-aid is not cool anymore !

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Biggest pro is NI gels with the laidback Austin attitude, so you have a more than necessary work-life balance.

The good engineers from NI get poached by giants like Apple, Google, Facebook, SpaceX. So, do your time at NI for couple years and you'll get redemption.

Cons

I won't harp on the known issues which are - meagre salary, minuscule profit sharing, bad benefits. We have enough review talking about them.

It is really hard to have a career growth at NI. NI is very stingy about promotions because it comes with pay raise which is something NI hates accommodating. So, right off the bat promotions are almost impossible. By a miracle, if you're up for promotion you'll have to perform the new role for a year or so before you officially transition there. Also, promotions are not based entirely on your technical depth and/or performance; most likely it is made out for folks who have a good rapport with the immediate management.

Personal growth is zilch. Some of the peers you'll work with at NI are smart but for the most part, others are deadwood. So, don't expect too much growth from your peers.

Work-life balance is forced. NI forces you to zero out the vacation by the end of the year which is not cool !

Perks = 0, you'd be lucky to get a free cup of coffee at NI.

Featuring in the top 20 employers seems to be the only goal for management. Management doesn't understand what it takes to "actually" be a good employer. The list of 50 top employers released by glass-door today doesn't feature NI in the top 50, wonder why !
    NI was built on good principles and now there is none remaining. Do something about it !

Great place to work!

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- The campus is beautiful and offers a full sized basketball court and two sand volleyball courts.
    - Lots of summer activities for interns.
    - Projects are meaningful and fun.
    - Great place to work, the culture is awesome and the CEO is very visible.

The thing about National Instruments is that it is a company of engineers run by engineers. The CEO Dr. T is an EE major from the University of Texas. And his competency trickles down to the senior management. There is no micromanaging of any kind here. Everyone in the company is very approachable.

Cons

- Some of the workflow processes are old.
    - Pay is moderate.

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Firstly, flexible work time. Great place to learn and accumulate experience. Additionally, there are a lot of interesting projects that helps college student to explore their potential.

Cons

Salaries is below average. The atmosphere is active but sometimes a little bit noisy. And sometimes it is hard to find the right person who in charge of the issue.

It will be better that to have a mentor experts at on-going project and available for most of the time.

National Instruments Photos