National Instruments Reviews

Reset
4.0
National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Work/life balance is encouraged (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough depending on what area you work in (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

1. Managet

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice place to work. You're allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. Good culture

Cons

Never very compatible when it comes to compensation. Not good at setting and following up consistently with employee expectations

2. Great Experience

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern I in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern I in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Not too high stress and everyone I've talked to has been more than willing to help guide me and answer questions.

Cons

The compensation is pretty low in relation to the area.

Advice to Management

If possible, step up the compensation. I would love to be full time there, and right now that is the only thing making me hesitate.

Great company if you don't mind being underpaid

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits Good work life balance People are great to work with

Cons

Salary, raises, and bonuses leave a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Raises need to be more than 1-2%. Especially when changing jobs within the company.

5. Steady as she goes....

Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments (Less than a year)

Pros

Team members are very intelligent Great culture (of the team)

Cons

Not as data driven as could be. But this is improving drastically

Advice to Management

Really really focus on competitive pay.

6. Great Place To Work

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, challenging work, and good work-life balance.

Cons

the only downside is that the pay is low and is the main reason that I will need to think carefully on whether I would want to work full-time

7. First post-college job, and it was awesome!

Former Contractor - Buyer in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Buyer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fabulous people, fun culture - work hard, play hard. Even after having left many years ago, I still have life-long friendships that were made there. At the time, they had beer (keg) Fridays out on the deck! Wow. A post-college graduates dream come true!

Cons

Was a contract position, but wasn't brought on full-time due to "budgets", and couldn't find a way to get into Marketing. Was underpaid due to contractor positioning.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and morale

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours. Great people with various backgrounds (great place if you are a Maker). Good benefits. Great culture. The CEO is a real down-to-earth kind of guy. You'll see him parking next to you in the parking lot, and in line with you in the cafeteria.

Cons

NI has been below average in salaries. I don't like that they claim they above average when really they don't.

Advice to Management

Most managers are really down to earth. Naturally, some styles or management with work better for you than others. Try to align yourself with a manager that fits with your style of management. Transferring groups at NI is relatively painless.

9. Software Engineer Intern

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern

Pros

At least the team I was working with was full of really smart people. The intern projects are really interesting. Everyone is always willing to help you. They give you a lot of design freedom to do your project and help you get involved in the job. A lot of activities available. Austin is great!

Cons

If you go as a software engineer, you may get a project where you would only use LabVIEW, something not all may find interesting.

Advice to Management

Mentors and managers are really good. Just keep up the good work, and try to explain to your interns and general employees the general structure of NI and the career opportunities since the beginning.

Great company culture!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Fun company culture for interns and full-timers. A great company campus (volleyball court, basketball court, gym, grills, natural surroundings). My favorite piece of advice from my manager was to change up my work environment from time to time, so I would sometimes work outside on the patio for an hour or two or work outside my cube in one of the lounging areas.

Cons

In my 3 months as an intern, I only really saw the good side of the company. I really enjoyed my internship with NI and highly recommend students to apply!

Still happy to work here, but YMMV

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As with any review, note that my experiences are but one anecdote of many. Job satisfaction is a complicated thing that is defined differently for everyone, but for me personally the biggest factor is whether I feel like I have the opportunity to learn new things and apply that learning to something meaningful, and that success will be rewarded with new opportunities to lead and learn in the future. After my first several years here I felt my career stagnating and found myself on LinkedIn and Glassdoor casually looking at what else was out there, something I hadn't really done since I started working. Many of these alternatives paid more but most lacked the kind of culture or worthwhile products that I appreciate about NI. I finally discussed with my manager that I needed some new challenges, and was pleased to find he was on board and I'm now in a much better place, enjoying what I'm doing, learning a lot, and feeling more confident and valuable. All this is to say, don't underestimate the value of enjoying what you're doing day-to-day, as that can make up for a lot of shortcomings (which I'll list in the cons). That said, I don't find NI to have that many shortcomings. It's a large company getting larger, and that will come with some tradeoffs and growing pains, and we're not in a super high-growth, high-margin or high-volume industry like some other companies. Generally, I have appreciated the stability that NI's conservative leadership fosters, even if it means we're not aggressive with things like pay increases. Things that I still really appreciate about NI and would miss elsewhere: - Work-life balance. I mostly work 40 hours a week, and when I work more I understand the reasons why. - Smart, friendly coworkers. - Beautiful campus. I love taking walks on the trails when I just need a break from my desk. - On-campus clinic is a huge time-saver. - Employee Stock Purchase Plan is a nice financial bonus that isn't factored into salary. - Management (at least in R&D) doesn't strike me as very political and seems to take a rational approach to most decisions. Not everyone is equally competent, but I do think most everyone does their best and tries to be up-front with their staff. - Great products. I'm proud of what we make and how our customers use our products.

Cons

Nothing too significant, but some areas that could use work: - It's no secret that most talented NI employees could probably make more elsewhere, and I'm sure that's responsible for the loss of some valuable talent. That said, I don't think I'm paid unfairly and have been fortunate to receive fairly regular raises, though I realize this isn't everyone's experience. There's a range of salaries for any given promotion level, and where you fall on that has a lot to do with your performance and perceived value to management (some of which is in your control, some of which isn't). - Vacation is a bit disappointing. I have friends at other tech companies that earn quite a bit more vacation and paternity leave, some of whom get additional month-long furloughs after certain career milestones (which would be amazing). This is mitigated somewhat by NI's flexible policy on working from home. - Medical premiums have risen steadily, though I realize that's not exactly management's fault.

Advice to Management

Don't skimp on giving raises to those who deserve it. Keep being open with employees and addressing concerns, but be sure to follow up with tangible actions (the return of Six Flags as an outing this year is a great start). Reduce waste and miscommunication by encouraging more cross-team coordination on common needs.

RSS Feed </> Embed