National Instruments Reviews in Texas

Updated August 23, 2014

3.7

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective (in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

364 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Mail Clerk  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Mail Clerk in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work there are because of the job , and the coworkers.

Cons

No cons to mention for me.

The company was just fine.

Great company with a great heart

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

People really care about you as a person. Good work-life balance. Willing to give people a chance to move around and do different things. Leadership really tries to communicate changes and challenges openly and clearly.

Cons

Lack of structure to most things. You can't get a standard answer on most questions, as everyone does things a little differently. Very conservative approach to everything, which can sometimes

Continue to focus on employee retention and top performers. In the long run, losing these individuals will cost you more money than if you just took care of them in the first place.

Great Place To Work

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Products and Vision
    Great Culture -- work-life balance, values driven, collaborative environment

Cons

Slower to value the operational side of the business

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Digital Hardware Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Hardware Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They really treat their interns well at NI. We were given meaningful work, and they had a few activities throughout the summer specifically for interns. I heartily enjoyed working here last summer and I'm planning to return this year.

Cons

I have no complaints regarding working at National Instruments.

Great atmosphere, bad salary

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, friendly colleagues and environment, continuously rewarded as one of the best place to work for (honestly).

Cons

Salary that cannot follow inflation and the increasing cost of living in Austin.

Falling behind other technology companies...

Former Employee - District Sales Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - District Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting salary was better than I expected. I was offered about the average of what a mechanical engineer at my university made coming out of school, which is really good considering many of my peers went to work in the oil and gas industry where salaries are very high. The Applications Engineering department was a very fun place to work when I was there (2008-2010) - my peers were mostly high performers and young so we had lots of fun. My first sales manager was the best manager I've ever had. NI also makes some awesome products.

Cons

AE management is a joke. Your "manager" is someone as tenured as you, which means they are about 24 years old and are supposed to be in charge of your career development despite the fact they haven't developed their own career yet.
    NI stands for "no income". Salary is nowhere near competitive over time. The worse part about this is management and HR know this and continue to spew corporate crap about how it's in line with the rest of the measurement/automation industry and our "whole package" is great. The problem is, even the "whole package" isn't great. The health benefits have been decimated and aren't as good as they are with my new company.
    I doubled my income when I left NI!
    NI talks a lot about corporate culture and how it's a great place to work, and 10 years ago it was probably the best place to work in Austin. However, Austin has exploded in the last few years with silicon valley giants like Google, Apple, Facebook and Evernote moving into town. Austin has become "Silicon Hills", and there are a lot of great places to work in Austin now. The culture at other companies in town is as good or better than NI, so many talented NI people have realized that they can make more money and not sacrifice culture and still work in Austin. The best people are leaving in droves. Although there are still many top performers at NI, there are a lot of average and low performing people still there because they don't have anywhere else to go.
    NI is a great place to work - if you are an average or low performing person. It sucks if you're a high performer and want to be rewarded for your merits.

Become a performance driven culture. The bottom 10% of people have to go. Stop worshiping at the altar of the "Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For" and start becoming a truly great place to work for the best people and you'll get back to the culture that was at NI in 1990s.

Great for new hires, difficult and frustrating for experienced employees

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The unique and laid-back culture lures new-hires in. It's a fun place to be, and many times the work can be exciting and engaging. Work-home balance is good, and it's easy to make friends to hang out with outside of work as well.

Cons

NI tries to hire the best and brightest, but pay is less than average, and the company tries to avoid the issue by saying it uses a 3rd party industry comparison to ensure salaries in line and bring up the "total package" argument as well as highly-discourages sharing your salary amount with anyone else. Health care isn't as good as it used to be years ago. Once you start achieving a higher rank it's still hard to feel valued or that your opinions matter. You spend more time arguing for resources you need to get your job done than what it would cost to just go buy what you need. Praise, bonuses, or any other positive encouragement is very infrequent. Lots of inefficiency and delay caused by consensus-driven decision making, and management changing their mind about where focus should be or changing their mind about critical decisions during the design process.

When you hire the best and brightest and pay average (or less than average) salaries expect the very best and brightest to move on. It might work for a couple years out of college, but people will only take so much until they realize they are undervalued.

Genius of the AND

Former Employee - Group Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Slow and steady culture, CEO the anchoring figure.

Cons

Growth slowing, executive compensation increasing; genius of the AND. Average compensation for most others.

Lack of accountability in leadership and decision making

Rapidly Fracturing Identity

I have been working at National Instruments full-time

Pros

National Instruments is a very stable company. I think the executives are brilliant, and their overarching strategy is remarkable. They are fiscally conservative, and generally pretty transparent and communicative with employees.

They're also a very stable employer. There have never been mass layoffs, and the staff that they've let go generally seem to part on good terms. They have a mostly relaxed style of management. They provide a lot of resources to their employees such a health center, fitness center, and social groups.

Most policy is common-sense based. Hours are usually flexible. Feedback is typically prompt and direct.

Cons

I have worked with several different groups, and they've all been very different. Some managers are there because they get enjoyment out of helping employees develop. Some are there because they feel they need to tick a box on a checklist to progress their career. It's unclear if they do, as while there is a lot of transparency in career progression, NI operates on a broad, conceptual level; people will interpret the same guidelines very differently. With a fair amount of autonomy and good but vague guidance, a lot of groups have drifted very far apart. The right hand often doesn't know what the left is doing, tilling the fertile soil of misunderstanding for a bumper crop of contradiction.
    The stated expectation of a balanced 40 hour week is vocally contradicted by a manager who says 50 would be barely enough. The egalitarian advancement policy buckles under the weight of employees who are hand-picked for high-visibility opportunities. Some employees are coaxed into new roles because they feel turning down the opportunity would look bad.
    Information percolates slowly, which can lead to the spinning of wheels. It's hard to know how to bring something to the attention of the right people sometimes, and it may be too late by the time it gets there.

Management needs to re-balance the proportions of autonomy and guidance more often and more vigorously. Being happy at NI requires having clear expectations about the workplace, and as groups grow further apart, it becomes harder to know what to expect.

Coordinator at National Instruments

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training, work like balance, consistency, security

Cons

personal growth due to lack of promotion within, promotions are hard to come by, raises are minimal

Consider discussing promotions and personal growth and making these things happen throughout the company.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!