National Interstate

Updated October 6, 2014
2.9

National Interstate President and CEO David W. Michelson
David W. Michelson

Receptive to feedback from all levels. Growing. Stable. Led by humans who treat us like humans.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at National Interstate full-time

Pros

...by example every complaint in this review has been addressed. No flex time? Recently implemented three options of core hours ranging from 7 AM to 830 AM start times. Old school modeling? Recently created an entire department dedicated to Pricing with emphasis on predictive analytics. Outdated systems? IT has elevated point of sale systems for several products. We even offer real time quotes online now. Good ol boy network? I'm a woman (not 20 something) , relatively new to the company and have no personal relationships with management outside of work ..and I feel comfortable, confident and respected as an equal when dealing with all levels of management. I am not in senior management.

Cons

If you find the work to be mundane and repetitive, or outdated, then you are not supporting your suggestions for improvement with actionable strategies for change. Don't just tell them what needs to be done. Tell them you yourself will do it, when, how, and how it will benefit the company.

Hire as many interns with analytical and programming backgrounds as you can. Technological innovations are what will set us apart from other commercial carriers now, and will be status quo in short order.

Good internship program

Former Employee - Underwritering in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Underwritering in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and it is obvious they care about their interns and spend a lot of time and money training and entertaining them

Cons

Some days I had a very light work load and it could be boring, however if this is your only con I'd say thats a good job

Great Company

Current Employee - Product Technician in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Product Technician in Richfield, OH

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is career oriented if you get the right supervisor. Great company events and parties.

Cons

Company operates on too thin of staff. They also don't pay as much as other companies in the same field. The need to boost there salaries because company perks alone is not enough. Management should also consider revising there benefits package.

Hire enough people for the work load. Not doing this causes burnout.

If you need a job ...then take it. Otherwise, stay where you are.

Former Employee - Marketing in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location; as with any reasonably sized company some good people to work with.

Cons

Less than industry average pay, time off. Their Niche markets can and have performed well in the past. Other areas are less promising with inexperienced management and surprisingly little industry knowledge.

It really doesn't matter what I or anyone thinks... these are old school dudes.

Not challenging

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High workload but easy work

Cons

pay well below job rate. small merit increases despite meeting objectives above or well above expectations

Good growing company

Former Employee - Underwriter I
    Former Employee - Underwriter I

I worked at National Interstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People and attitudes are positive.

Cons

Insurance can be boring and uncreative.

Hard Work Pays Off at National Interstate

I have been working at National Interstate full-time

Pros

The senior leadership team takes great pride in the organization and is working towards creating a long-term successful, sustainable business. If you have the fortitude to speak-up and challenge things, your voice is heard. Creativity and collaboration exist across the business.

Cons

Growing pains. The business is evolving, and this can cause discomfort. Constant growth and change causes debate, which can be unproductive if not prpoerly managed. Some groups operate as their own sub-cultures, instead of focusing on the big picture for National Interstate.

Recognize high performers and let them know how important they are to the business. Inspire people.

Okay place to be

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young company with potential to grow. Great location. Does fun events for employees. Great co-workers that like to work hard and have fun. Ok place to be if you need a job.

Cons

Lean culture with no work-life balance. Poor compensation and benefit package. Some very strong leaders but also many inexperienced unqualified managers. Risk of company being purchased. Not a strategic company.

Micromanagement at it's finest

I worked at National Interstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The lunch program is a nice benefit.

Cons

There are many, but I can start with the fact that you absolutely should not work here if you are an independent thinker. They do not like anyone who questions anything. Oh, and make sure you are there by 8am sharp. That apparently is the only key to success. Even if you stayed until 6 or 7 the night before, or got in late due to business travel. Their performance reviews are a joke and the managers are very passive aggressive. Most of the feedback is given through e mail.

Get out of 1981 and into 2014. You have lost many, many talented folks because your style suffocates new ideas.

Business as usual.

Former Employee - Senior Examiner in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Examiner in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy access to the Richfild location. Most of the senior examiners are well-qualified, so their work product is good.

Cons

Management prefers yes-men for supervisory positions, and favoritism is obvious. Management is not open to new ideas. Incompetence is tolerated. Salary is based partially on seniority, which is obsolete. There is no technical claims training for claims adjusters with limited skills. There are too many managers. Too many managers review the same claim files. The claims manager has no relations with rank & file. Vacation time is minimal for the industry. There is no flex time. The employer 401K contributuion is minimal, and you have to wait until the end of the year.

Great American Insurance is seeking to purchase NI's outstanding shares, and take over operations. Assist them. NI would benefit from Great American's insight and resources.