National Interstate Reviews

David W. Michelson

1. Great company, great people

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Richfield, OH

Pros

I worked as a temp in the Human Resources Department this summer. From the outset, I was made to feel welcome by everyone I encountered. The HR Department is a well-oiled machine and serves as a great model for what HR should be. Though I was only employed here for a couple of months, I really got the sense that the company cares a lot for their employees. Some of the peripheral things I really enjoyed include the affordable lunches, nice amenities, and a beautiful campus.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

2. Stressful

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President

I worked at National Interstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people make this place tolerable. Senior management struggles through growth, as can be seen by recent results. Most of the other reviews hit it on the head with the company parties, etc.

Cons

Everyone is underpaid, including the CEO (it's true). Bonuses are a pipe dream and spread out over two years so you always leave money on the table when you quit. Extreme growth goals caused issues in claims reserving and now the company struggles to make underwriting profit. So it's hard to see this turning around.

Advice to Management

You've got to spend money to make money. So pay your people, treat them right, and they'll stay. Stop trying to enter markets just to grow, only to leave the market within 3 years after losses are out of hand.

3. Company

I have been working at National Interstate full-time

Pros

401K with company match, excellent benefits, CEO is approachable, great company parties, nice work environment, wages comparable.

Cons

Technology is sluggish, training program is rough but improving, PTO is less than other insurance companies, "flex-time" is not applied the same across all departments.

Advice to Management

There is a disconnect between what the top management touts as the companies progressive culture and how the middle managers apply it.

5. OK for a start

Pros

Gave me experience to launchpad into other companies.

Cons

I have some concerns for their IS department and their practices.

Great place to work!

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, friendly atmosphere, affordable lunch program, competitive 401K, great medical, dental and vision benefits, lots of employee perks (like dry cleaning and auto repairs completed while you're at work!), great company parties and employee engagement, community outreach and charitable programs, employee referral rewards, promotes from within, opportunity to grow professionally with developmental training courses, publicly traded company, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Some growing pains - PTO accrual rate could be a bit better, some managers could employ more flexibility, empathy and understanding toward employees' familial needs.

7. Claims

I have been working at National Interstate full-time

Pros

Co-workers are helpful and friendly.

Cons

Management lacks communication skills and direction.

8. Over worked under paid poor leadership

Former Employee - Medical Only Specialist/Adjuster Trainee in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Only Specialist/Adjuster Trainee in Fenton, MO

I worked at National Interstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning ground if you are new to the industry

Cons

Does not care about work life balance. Aggressive stressful claims environment

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified managers, offer more training opportunities, promote from within

9. Great Company

I have been working at National Interstate full-time

Pros

-Great atmosphere -Constant interactions with C-suite executives -Lots of professional development training offered -Great parties/ employee engagement -401k match program -Low cost lunch program at in-house cafeteria -Monthly all company meetings where CEO doesn't sugar coat information -CEO meets with all new employees 1-on-1 -Great co-workers -Financially stable company -Great opportunities for promotions and internal movement

Cons

-Not all departments heads have the same ideas about work/life flexibility -Needs to have a compensation market adjustment for lots of its positions -Everyone is only given a desktop and employees cannot access building wifi

Advice to Management

I would suggest the options of working remotely to promote work/life balance for some positions. I would also suggest that senior leadership has more flexibility with working hours and doesnt make employees take PTO when they could utilize something like comp time.

10. Claims Adjuster Trainee

I have been working at National Interstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, flex time, quick benefits a defined career track, and you get the feeling the company cares about its employees.

Cons

Salary is a little lower than market. High workload

11. Churn and Burn Company

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Richfield, OH

I worked at National Interstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some really great co-workers -Awesome parties and socials -Great health insurance if you're single -Lots of responsibility for most entry level jobs -CEO still tries to treat it like a smaller company and give personal touches. Does a lunch with new hire groups and one-on-one meetings. Signs your birthday cards too. If you're looking for experience, NATL is a good place to start. There's always openings and you get a chance to do some things early in your career. I was maintaining a $7M book of business within a year.

Cons

-Boy's club -Favoritism rules -Low pay, no flexibility at all, terrible benefits (401k, vacation time) -No value to employees -Complaints to HR get right back to the managers or source of the problem. No real confidentiality. -Terrible technology They treat employees like worker bees and commodities. Hire them for cheap out of college, then they leave 2-5 years later for 15-20% pay raises. It's a revolving door which makes real business impossible. Brokers and agents don't trust them enough because there's no relationship. Had to travel and put things on my own credit card because there wasn't a corporate card given out. Take a red eye back home after working in CA over a weekend and ask your boss to come in at 11am after a nap...oh you have to take PTO for that.

Advice to Management

Value your employees outside of socials and parties. Giving praise, flexibility and kindness will go a lot further in the long run compared to an open bar twice a year.

RSS Feed </> Embed