National Interstate

David W. Michelson

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good internship program

Underwritering (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsGreat atmosphere and it is obvious they care about their interns and spend a lot of time and money training and entertaining them

ConsSome days I had a very light work load and it could be boring, however if this is your only con I'd say thats a good job

Great Company

Product Technician (Current Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsThe company is career oriented if you get the right supervisor. Great company events and parties.

ConsCompany operates on too thin of staff. They also don't pay as much as other companies in the same field. The need to boost there salaries because company perks alone is not enough. Management should also consider revising there benefits package.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire enough people for the work load. Not doing this causes burnout.

If you need a job ...then take it. Otherwise, stay where you are.

Marketing (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsGood location; as with any reasonably sized company some good people to work with.

ConsLess than industry average pay, time off. Their Niche markets can and have performed well in the past. Other areas are less promising with inexperienced management and surprisingly little industry knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt really doesn't matter what I or anyone thinks... these are old school dudes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business as usual.

Senior Examiner (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsEasy access to the Richfild location. Most of the senior examiners are well-qualified, so their work product is good.

ConsManagement prefers yes-men for supervisory positions, and favoritism is obvious. Management is not open to new ideas. Incompetence is tolerated. Salary is based partially on seniority, which is obsolete. There is no technical claims training for claims adjusters with limited skills. There are too many managers. Too many managers review the same claim files. The claims manager has no relations with rank & file. Vacation time is minimal for the industry. There is no flex time. The employer 401K contributuion is minimal, and you have to wait until the end of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat American Insurance is seeking to purchase NI's outstanding shares, and take over operations. Assist them. NI would benefit from Great American's insight and resources.

1980 timewarp from company culture to technology

In WitnessProtection (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsMany nice people and hard workers thinking it must get better but does not.

ConsA complete dead end unless you are cute and in your 20's and only in a tacky way. Not classy at all. A clique of a half dozen people somehow are the ones getting promoted. Anyone over 35 gets fired. Piles of unshredded documents and managers who put a target on you if you try to improve or fix anything. Employees will get fired to cover the company's butt for a mistake that was made in the process not by the employee. Company runs 8-5 and 12-1 lunch. No exceptions. Who cares if you are in another time zone.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit using an excel spreadsheet from 1985 to run the entire insurance company. Get a compliance security manager manager in and audit the entire company because no way if HIPAA being followed. Company business model is to blame employee for not writing business but the company pricing and culture makes it impossible. You cannot run a large insurance company like this when small insurance agencies operate better.

Life in the Early 80's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsLunch program, Good people who want to do a good job for the customer. Location of the office relative to commute

ConsFavoritism and politics are a hinderance to identifying real talent. Mentality of management is a throwback to the 80's....promotions and lateral moves have nothing to do with achievement and skillset.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen you eyes to the loss of great talent, who believes in the Company and leaves because of the reality of the above.

Wolfs in Sheeps Clothing, Culture of Fear

Claims Examiner (Current Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsYou learn a lot when other employees leave and you are reassigned their workload. Gaining of useful work experience. You can also learn a lot about how not to manage.

ConsThere is a lack of real management knowledge at the highest level. Groupthink is prevalent and is the only way to get ahead. If you have learned knowledge and attempt to offer it, you are shunned and sometimes fired due to intimidation by insecure management. I also experienced unethical business dealings with customers and employees. Management by fear and intimidation. Managers also openly admitted disapproval of women and old folks in authoritative positions. Finally, pay not equitable amongst sexes, or for those with experiences, and benefits were old school (no flex time). Overall not a positive place or place for real growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould suggest boardmembers position new players in management. Organization is rotten at head of state.

Bait and Switch. Looks great on outside but hot mess underneath.

Marketing/Telemarketer With Unachievable Goals (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsSome great people if they stay. Lunch program. If you like Mad men and old school work atmosphere this is the place for you. Ties, Skirts and high heels encouraged. Plus you are encouraged to work late and at home but you can't leave early without using vacation.

ConsWasted 2 years on dead end job. Was not the job I was hired for and no one in my group ever gets promoted.. All honest reviews below regarding time off, travel and promotions. Popular young trendy kids get fastracked. Looks and dress more important than ethics. 40 somethings shown the door. No automation or IT of any sort to help business. Company stuck in 1980's. No compliance or security around files /privacy both employee and customer. There are many small business run better and more efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to a company that knows what they are doing and quit firing older workers. Use a shredding service daily.

Good company. Solid culture, pay structure could use some work.

Underwriter I (Current Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsThis mid-sized company has good management, great culture, and a relatively manageable workload. Transparency and accessibility of management and company objectives is evident in employee meetings. Talent acquisition seems sound, as people hired are just smart people who are successful in whatever they do.

ConsPay/holiday/vacation structure is pretty behind the times, and does not attract the kind of talent standard that HR has in place. While workload is manageable, hiring is slow to support growing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward existing employees with competitive merit increases, and don't have such a disparity between the pay of outside and inside hiring.

Not what i expected

Senior Claims Examiner (Current Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsThey have a great meal plan and great parking

ConsAs a new recent new hire, I expected this to position to be more challenging and claims oriented. Handling captive claims is very different and difficult from the traditional way of handling claims. This captive claims position is more like a TPA and you have very little control on how to resolve the losses you are challenged with. You have very little say in how you would like to resolve difficult issues and talked down to at times by the people that are above you

Advice to Senior ManagementFavoritism is prevalent.

Worked for National Interstate? Contribute to the Community!