National Kidney Foundation Reviews

1. Great Company, Good Mission

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at National Kidney Foundation full-time

Pros

NKF is doing good things. They are awarded grants (Most notably from the CDC back in 2008) and their staff is comprised of an amazing and health / medical field savvy AND accredited folk.

Cons

Like any non profit there are no guarantees and always cut backs.

2. caller

Former Employee - Phone Operator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Phone Operator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at National Kidney Foundation (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool people there to work with

Cons

Not interactive enough for me

3. Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Kidney Foundation full-time

Pros

Nice people, good cause, good location, decent pay, moderate pressure (relatively speaking)

Cons

Poor management. Slightly disorganized when it comes to communicating the goals and direction of the organization to the employees who are doing the work. Financially it's getting back on solid footing, but need to get better at spreading the mission in order to attract large donors.

Advice to Management

We're spread thin with too many initiatives (Education, Advocacy, Awareness, Help lines, Transplantation, etc.... Choose a few programs and messages and communicate a simpler mission for the staff to carry out. Until we grow, we're better off having a bunch of people work on completing a few goals, rather than a few people/teams working on multiple goals.

5. Awful MGMT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Location was pretty good I guess.

Cons

This is specific to NKF Serving Greater New York. The "orientation" process is a bunch of bull and once HR sends you to your respective department no one actually tells you how to do anything. The management structure is extremely disorganized and my "direct report" was never the one giving me projects or following up with me which was very confusing and was NOT made clear to me from the beginning. The people who I ended up working under did not know how to delegate or how to properly prepare me for what was expected of me which made a typical day there very frustrating. I was never included in meetings or discussions on projects that I was supposed to be helping with, I was only sent lists of tasks after the fact. I did not feel respected or even important to the overall success of the events and I was extremely uninspired to be working there. On top of that, this is not a full service organization and the mission is a little bit hazy. I'm still not sure exactly where the money goes or if any of the development staff care about people with kidney disease or just their own personal portfolios. If you want to work at an inspiring, mission driven, inclusive, impactful organization, where you know exactly what you get up in the morning to go to work for, DO NOT work at NKF.

Advice to Management

Invest way more time into your support staff

Lost its vision along the way

Pros

Great employees in the lower levels, dynamic work environment that puts you in contact with many influential people in the medical field

Cons

By the time i left i could not tell where most of the money being fundraised was going. I felt like a lot of the good we were doing when i started had been done away with in favor of constant fundraising

Advice to Management

Refocus the foundation on helping out those with kidney disease. Most importantly bring back programs like the US Transplant Games

Good place to work but not focused on impact

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance, nice people

Cons

Heavy top to bottom style, not doing enough to impact the lives of people affected by Kidney disease

Advice to Management

Focus on solving real problems.

8. Good place to work. They can reach more people though.

I have been working at National Kidney Foundation full-time

Pros

Easy going and generally nice people.

Cons

Think too small. Can reach more people with kidney disease.

Advice to Management

Think about collective impact and partnering with organizations from all sectors.

9. Worst non-profit, going bankrupt.

I worked at National Kidney Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great lesson in learning what to really ask about the internals of a company when interviewing.

Cons

This was the worst position I have ever had. The inteview process is long and drawn-out. MAJOR internal issues, most staff have favorites that get away with things. They will fire you on the spot, without any notice. Very unorganized company. All of the money currently being raised/donated is going to paying off corporate loans to stay afloat. Not even worth considering- you will never move-up.

Advice to Management

Get new management and a national theme that makes sense. Learn from other non-profits, because clearly something is very wrong.

10. It started out like a song

Former Employee - Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support in New York, NY

I worked at National Kidney Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I started it was great. Interesting projects and programs I was passionate about.

Cons

Support staff is very under appreciated by senior staff. Salaries are too low for support people

Advice to Management

Show your staff members you appreciate them. Don't keep piling on without compensation.

11. I just helped with screening. They was very organized and patient friendly.

Pros

Getting students from the communnity colleges is great

Cons

no cons to report here, thank you

RSS Feed </> Embed