National Labor Relations Board

Updated June 5, 2014
Updated June 5, 2014
3.8

Mark Pearce

Intellectually and ethically fulfilling, but poor training

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time

Pros

We get to neutrally enforce an Act that many believe to promote democracy in the workplace. In this connection, we apply the given case law based on the credible evidence and not based on selectively defending a client's interest. When we research cases, we apply the actual holdings in those cases, doing our best to not ignore other relevant precedent.

Agents are given caseloads with a remarkable amount of autonomy. The cornerstone of the job is to take affidavits. If the Region determines that a charge has merit based on the (mostly sworn) evidence, attorneys will try the case before an Agency Administrative Law Judge.

Especially for non-JDs, the salary, benefits, and work-life balance are excellent: It's an intellectually challenging legal job for which a JD is not necessary. For JDs, you have to really love the Act, because you will not get any substantive exposure to other areas of the law. Turnover is historically low, but some Regions are known for their high turnover, especially Regions 5 and 29.

Cons

Training and close supervision in some Regions is nonexistent, requiring agents to fake it until they make it. In spite of the lack of training, agents are often held independently responsible for missteps, even though supervisors have not even read the case file throughout the entire investigation period. Variability in supervision is so high both inter- and intra-Region that one often wonders what the role of a supervisor in the Agency actually is.

Though the salary rises quickly and tops off to a comfortable amount, it then stays the same for the majority of one's career. Combined with only meager bonuses and even more meager raises for promotions, it's a recipe for low motivation and low incentives to improve over time. As with other bureaucracies, certain people have been promoted to their level of incompetence and stay in the Agency far too long. To be fair, part of the reason is the lack of alternatives at the same income level. That can mostly be attributed to the decline of unions in the US, and the concomitant irrelevance of labor law.

Get 360 feedback for supervisors. Get exit interviews for those who leave. Many lower-level employees are afraid to speak up about the coercive and negligent management styles of the first-level supervisors. Make it easy to complain about absentee or malicious supervisors. Formally encourage teamwork by assigning multiple agents to a single case. Often helpful colleagues are not recognized for their teamwork efforts, except on a generalized level.

You need to from the perfect ethnic background

I worked at National Labor Relations Board full-time

Pros

you can go to the casino and gamble on government time

Cons

you must be perfect and make no mistakes

as a minority, I didn't stand a snowballs chance in HELL!

Solid internship

I worked at National Labor Relations Board

Pros

Friendly, driven and fulfilling agency to work at.

Cons

Does not hire many people because of budget cuts.

Interesting

Former Employee - Compliance Assistant/Secretary in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Compliance Assistant/Secretary in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Labor Relations Board full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting,I liked the work I did.

Cons

It was alright, I have no complaints

Keep up the good work

Excellent place to work in the labor relations field

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professionals are given individual case work. There is a lot of freedom in managing one's own cases. The career ladder is pretty good. Excellent hours and good work-life balance. The work casts you as a neutral and sometimes as a prosecutor. There is constant learning involved with every case.

Cons

There really isn't any if you love working in the labor relations field.

Lots of experience from the start

Current Employee - Field Examiner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Field Examiner in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Baptism by fire
    Get hands on experience early

Cons

Pay is pathetic
    There is always a government shutdown looming
    Furloughs

Need better trained supervisors

Great place to work

Current Employee - Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mission, to help the working person, is the best.

Cons

Mission is derailed during Republican rule.

Stay the course

I love this job

Current Employee - Field Examiner in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Field Examiner in Oakland, CA

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board

Pros

I love this job because I feel like I'm making a difference in peoples' lives. Even if I don't find a violation in the person's particular case, I still feel like I'm making a difference because when I investigate their case, the person feels like someone is finally listening to what they have to say. In addition to the people I help, my co-workers are great and I feel that management does a good job of showing that they appreciate my work. I love the job flexibility and the fact that I only have to go into work 4 days a week since I work a modified schedule. My favorite thing about this job is that the first 5 years you get a $10k raise each year, plus cost of living increases, so after 4 years I'm making double my starting salary.

Cons

Since we work for the Federal Government, sometimes there's a lot of red tape regarding case processing and other things.

Good place to work if you need a flexible schedule.

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board

Pros

Very flexible schedule. I finished my masters degree while working full time.

Cons

Salaries are low, but it is federal government, so there are other benefits.

Employees need to be motivated by their superiors.

If you want to do something you believe in, this is the job for you.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Mid Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Mid Florida, FL

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board

Pros

If you want a job that you can believe in, this is it. The NLRB was created to ensure that democracy does not end at the employee entrance. We fight to protect employees from abuses by employer and labor organizations. Our law is not perfect, but on certain days we get the privilege of taking something that is wrong and making it right. If you want to practice law and still sleep well at night this is the job for you.

There is also tremendous job security in this job. The government does not lay people off from this agency. So even when the economy is going into the tank I do not worry about getting a pink slip. This job also has reasonable hours unless I am going into trial i normally only need to work a forty hour week to get my job done. My children recognize me on sight.

Even if you do not want to work for the NLRB for the rest of your life, they give you great experience that readily translates into the private sector. Many people have worked for the NLRB for few years then really cashed in with the private sector.

Cons

This is a public interest job. I started out of school making approximately 1/3 of what my classmates made in private practice. That being said, I get a cost of living adjustment every year, so my raises are real pay raises and not simply recovery due to inflation. I also knew when I would get my raises and how much they would be. My pay increased by approximately 60% in my first five years with the cost of living adjustments.

Many of this agency's problems are budget related. We are denied bonuses and agency wide training programs because we are told there is not enough money. However, every year we end up with a pot of money at the very end of the FY that we have a week to spend.