National Labor Relations Board Reviews

1 Rating

1. Excellent Opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Extremely helpful and knowledgeable supervisors and staff. Excellent opportunity for legal interns to assist with managing caseloads, performing discovery and legal analysis as well as drafting preliminary investigative reports.

Cons

A higher level of feedback on assignments would be desirable. More frequent progress updates would give interns a greater ability to learn from mistakes and improve on desired skills.

2. Stable work environment but limited growth potential

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance. Minimal supervision required and high levels of autonomy.

Cons

Contradictory mandates and guidelines provided by management often results in extra hassles and confusion. Budget restrictions prevent any substantial career development.

committed to workers rights under U.S. labor law?

Current Employee - Staff Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board (More than 10 years)

Pros

Federal agency protecting the rights of workers to unionize and to take other actions to improve their working conditions. Great place for someone just out of law school, to get hands-on experience investigating and litigating cases.

Cons

The agency is getting more bureaucratic -- more concerned with moving cases quickly, at the expense of quality. Some managers are petty tyrants.

5. good place to work

Pros

very nice relaxed atmosphere. great co-workers and leadership. challenging work that never ends without a constant feeling of stress.

Cons

they are never hiring. that is about it. would have loved to continue working there but they could not hire me permanently.

Intellectually stimulating work

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We provide protection for employees. We dont represent the employer and we dont represent the union. We simply enforce the Act.

Cons

It can be political and most of the managers have been with the Agency for a LONG time and it makes it hard to move up the ranks.

Advice to Management

Training, definitely more training. Also, be open to the "young" folk's ideas

7. You need to from the perfect ethnic background

I worked at National Labor Relations Board full-time

Pros

you can go to the casino and gamble on government time

Cons

you must be perfect and make no mistakes

Advice to Management

as a minority, I didn't stand a snowballs chance in HELL!

Intellectually and ethically fulfilling, but poor training

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time

Pros

We get to neutrally enforce an Act that many believe to promote democracy in the workplace. In this connection, we apply the given case law based on the credible evidence and not based on selectively defending a client's interest. When we research cases, we apply the actual holdings in those cases, doing our best to not ignore other relevant precedent. Agents are given caseloads with a remarkable amount of autonomy. The cornerstone of the job is to take affidavits. If the Region determines that a charge has merit based on the (mostly sworn) evidence, attorneys will try the case before an Agency Administrative Law Judge. Especially for non-JDs, the salary, benefits, and work-life balance are excellent: It's an intellectually challenging legal job for which a JD is not necessary. For JDs, you have to really love the Act, because you will not get any substantive exposure to other areas of the law. Turnover is historically low, but some Regions are known for their high turnover, especially Regions 5 and 29.

Cons

Training and close supervision in some Regions is nonexistent, requiring agents to fake it until they make it. In spite of the lack of training, agents are often held independently responsible for missteps, even though supervisors have not even read the case file throughout the entire investigation period. Variability in supervision is so high both inter- and intra-Region that one often wonders what the role of a supervisor in the Agency actually is. Though the salary rises quickly and tops off to a comfortable amount, it then stays the same for the majority of one's career. Combined with only meager bonuses and even more meager raises for promotions, it's a recipe for low motivation and low incentives to improve over time. As with other bureaucracies, certain people have been promoted to their level of incompetence and stay in the Agency far too long. To be fair, part of the reason is the lack of alternatives at the same income level. That can mostly be attributed to the decline of unions in the US, and the concomitant irrelevance of labor law.

Advice to Management

Get 360 feedback for supervisors. Get exit interviews for those who leave. Many lower-level employees are afraid to speak up about the coercive and negligent management styles of the first-level supervisors. Make it easy to complain about absentee or malicious supervisors. Formally encourage teamwork by assigning multiple agents to a single case. Often helpful colleagues are not recognized for their teamwork efforts, except on a generalized level.

9. Solid internship

Pros

Friendly, driven and fulfilling agency to work at.

Cons

Does not hire many people because of budget cuts.

10. Interesting

Former Employee - Compliance Assistant/Secretary in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Compliance Assistant/Secretary in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Labor Relations Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting,I liked the work I did.

Cons

It was alright, I have no complaints

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

11. Excellent place to work in the labor relations field

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Labor Relations Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professionals are given individual case work. There is a lot of freedom in managing one's own cases. The career ladder is pretty good. Excellent hours and good work-life balance. The work casts you as a neutral and sometimes as a prosecutor. There is constant learning involved with every case.

Cons

There really isn't any if you love working in the labor relations field.

RSS Feed </> Embed