National Life Group
www.nationallife.com Montpelier, VT

National Life Group Reviews

Updated Feb 20, 2014
National Life Group – US – “National Life Group”

National Life Group President & CEO Mehran Assadi

Mehran Assadi

A great company to work for

I have been working at National Life Group

ProsGreat company culture, great incentives, the management looks out for you-they want you to succeed. The sky is the limit

ConsThey need to invest in more support for their advisors in their home office and a more comprehensive training program for new advisors.

Excellent Internship Program

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at National Life Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe internship program is well structured, engaging, and allows you to make connections in multiple departments. The vast majority of employees seemed happy and had a good work/life balance.

ConsThey used an older version of Microsoft suite, which I wasn't a big fan of. Intern desks were small and outside of the "pod", making it more difficult to communicate and feel like part of the team.

Agent Services Representative

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProfessional environment, Call center was recognized as a vital part of the company

ConsUnder staffed and no flexibility

Advice to Senior ManagementFind creative ways to allow more flexibility within the call center

Employee Development is a Joke at NL Group

Business Analyst I (Former Employee)

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice views from cafe; willing to pay for additional education (just don't expect it to get you anywhere in the company)

ConsAnything this company tells you about employee development is a complete joke. Employee development plans are a pointless HR exercise to make HR and Sr. Mgt feel better about themselves. Company is willing to pay for employees to get additional eduction but could care less once you have it and is more than willing to let you move on to a different company. Ask around Vermont and find out how many other companies have NL to thank for paying for their employees' college or advanced degrees or industry designations.

Pay is below market for most employees but the company will go out of their way to overpay for Sr. Mgt from outside companies who don't even live in Vermont. Even the CEO doesn't live in Vermont. Nor does the President's of ESI or Sentinel. The only way to actually make money at NL is to leave and then come back in as an outsider. Otherwise you should be happy with your 1.5% raise every year and keep your mouth shut.

I will give them credit, they do seem to be trying to improve in certain areas. But it's hard to have faith in this Company now or anytime in the near future unless drastic changes take place.

Where Professional Careers Go to Die

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's in Vermont. The company is not going out of business. New England Culinary Institute caters lunch. Most employees are very dedicated, collaborative and professional.

ConsBefore you read what follows, for many people at lower levels, NLG is a great opportunity. For top flight talent, it's a place where careers go to die.

Despite the apparent diversity inherent in choosing an Iranian CEO, "senior" management lacks diversity and is comprised mostly of cliques of "frat boys and sorority girls." There is a basic management competence question as the prevailing communication style is passive aggression. Major project changes are dictated by whim -- with the subordinate often paying the price for management's detachment and poor business knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementBOD - If you value your franchise and its distribution systems, the time for change is long overdue. Chickens may be coming home to roost on your watch.

Internal Wholesaler

Sales Desk (Former Employee)
Addison, TX

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearn about insurance industry: annuities and life insurance

ConsUpper management refuses to promote talent. As an internal wholesaler you will be promised promotions. There is no training, it is a micro managed team, they promote people who don't deserve it- under utilize people who are willing to work and they count how many calls you accept daily and refuse to use quality over quantity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training, listen to employees concerns and be proactive vs. reactive.

They Don't Care About Life Insurance Agents

Full Time Agent (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than a year

ProsNot worth your time. They don't care about people.

ConsFor as long as I've been an insurance agent with National Life Group they have not paid me my commissions correctly. I have ALWAYS had to send emails and get on calls for every single case I have turned in to be paid correctly. This insurance company does it's business via "Agency" this means they allow the General Agent to do whatever they want. Recently I was forced to accept lower commissions and reduced benefits because the GA didn't like me. I called the home office and they told me they cannot do anything about it, they don't have anything to do with Agency Operations. DO NOT WORK HERE if you can help it. GO ANYWHERE ELSE.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis Agency model is not working anymore.

Good employer, big company with family feel

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmall enough to get to know upper management and fellow employees quite well, friendly atmosphere, great working environment, fitness facility and classes offered, NECI run cafeteria on property, learning opportunities offered, holiday luncheon provided, recreation department offers fantastic trips and opportunities at discounts

ConsLow salary, sometimes can be hard to advance in your department, training classes are left on your own learning at times so more support would be nice

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more accessibility to training and advancement, better salary to support living expenses in VT

very conservative 1960's culture

I have been working at National Life Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnice office space, cafeteria in-house, good people to work with at the peer level.

ConsExecutives are stuck in 1960. Discrimination and oppression are rampant and HR does nothing. They allow a culture of oppression and abuse and actually promote those people knowingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your comfort level and embrace change. Stand up for what's right instead of worrying about becoming a target yourself.

small company struggling to find a niche that works

I worked at National Life Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood close group of employees, easy to share information interdepartmentally

ConsPoor management, declining industry with management trying several different methods of attack, lack of opportunity to move within company

Worked for National Life Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Life Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Life Group CEO Mehran Assadi. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by National Life Group employees.