National Louis University Reviews

1. Type 04 Master Teacher

Former Employee - Type 04 Master Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Type 04 Master Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Louis University full-time

Pros

The environment and atmosphere of the administration and staff is exceptional. I truly enjoyed and respected the support and friendliness of everyone I worked with during my ten years as an employee of National-Louis University. I would have retired with the school that I worked at.

Cons

There are no downsides with working as an employee of National-Louis University.

Advice to Management

You are doing an exceptional job at your responsibilities. There is no advice that I can really think of to give.

2. Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Friendly co-workers, pleasant work environment.

Cons

No raises or room for growth.

3. I truly enjoyed working with the public.

I worked at National Louis University part-time

Pros

I enjoy working with the public and helping them get the direction, assistance, and instruction that they need. I enjoy learning new things and making sure the office runs smoothly.

Cons

It was unfortunate that the funding for the program I was in was limited. That was the downfall of my employment with this establishment.

Advice to Management

They need to find a better way to help students have income for expenses while completing their education, especially for graduate students.

5. A University with passion for their students

I have been working at National Louis University full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Great that after 6 months, you can start getting your bachelor's or master's degrees for free! The passion that the faculty have for their students and the fields that they work in is really evident everyday. Everyone works really hard to make a difference.

Cons

Sometimes the passion that we have for accessible education leads to long hours and limited budgets. There are times when the staff and faculty are over worked and under appreciated, but when you see the others around you working just as hard as you are, you realize that you're not alone. The work that we do here is inspiring when you think of the lives that we touch and enhance everyday.

Advice to Management

You don't need to spend money to make your staff and faculty feel appreciated for the work that they do. Reach out to your teams to show them that you value the hard work that they do everyday.

6. Mismanaged, disorganized, and inefficient

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

Pros

Some of the faculty and staff are outstanding!

Cons

Low salaries, overworked employees, a lack of leadership and management

Advice to Management

Support your faculty at least as much as the students. The drain of excellent faculty will continue as long as the leadership continues to overwork, underpay, and ignore faculty's needs.

The experience was educational

Former Employee - Student Office Worker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Office Worker in Chicago, IL

Pros

Meeting new people everyday and learning how to deal with different nationalities.

Cons

Couldn't achieve direct hire due to staff bringing family and friends on board that have more seniority and been with the school longer.

Advice to Management

Take an advance look at your student workers. Prepare them for up coming roles in the workforce at their school and hire from within.

8. It's an exciting time to be at NLU.

I have been working at National Louis University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, family like environment, opinions and ideas are heard, feel like a valued member of the team, provided with opportunities for professional development.

Cons

The culture here is changing in a good way, but there are still some employees who have yet to embrace the changes and are still holding onto the past.

Good to be here. Could be better, but it's better than it used to be.

I have been working at National Louis University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As with all places, the "pros" really depend on the department you join. Some are much, much better than others. I have been fortunate enough to join an amazing team with great leadership, focused training and clear objectives. I have been afforded with many flexibilities that allow me to balance my home and work life, which makes it a lot more pleasant to come to work each day. The benefits are also phenomenal. The University covers roughly 75% of the cost of our medical insurance premiums and has a great matching retirement plan.

Cons

This is a no-profit University so the salary leaves much to be desired. Our last coupe raises have been nominal and still resulted with less money in our paychecks since the insurance increases were more than our raise.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the managers you put in charge and accept their feedback and direction, especially when it 's given from their direct area of expertise. It's difficult when you are asked your opinion as a subject matter expert and then the final decision is not what you recommended. It's even more discouraging when the negative outcome is exactly what was predicted. If you ask for an educated opinion, don't discount it.

10. Enjoyed working with the students

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Louis University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a part of the student experience

Cons

Lacks communications among departments and staff

Advice to Management

Offer some type of incentives and motivation for staff, listen to their concerns and needs to effectively do their job

11. An Unexpected Letdown

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I worked at National Louis University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were truly some great colleagues that put a lot of effort into their students. Their interim Vice-President is charismatic, and an inspirational motivator. Nice benefits and flexibility

Cons

Serious mistrust of management in the outreach and enrollment department. Lack of organization and understanding of outreach. Lack of communication and being passive aggressive in its constructive criticism.

Advice to Management

Think about why you invested in your employees and what they bring in to your university.

RSS Feed </> Embed