National-Louis University

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Nivine Megahed

Assistant prof.

Assistant Professor, Education (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI love teaching and working with teachers, helping them finding their voice through research and collaborating with local institutions for service learning.

I also enjoyed being quite independent in my work, creative and intellectually stimulated.

ConsI think that once the university hired a new president, the core-values of it as a educational non profit institution went down the toilet.

An Unexpected Letdown

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wheeling, IL

ProsThere were truly some great colleagues that put a lot of effort into their students. Their interim Vice-President is charismatic, and an inspirational motivator. Nice benefits and flexibility

ConsSerious mistrust of management in the outreach and enrollment department. Lack of organization and understanding of outreach. Lack of communication and being passive aggressive in its constructive criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about why you invested in your employees and what they bring in to your university.

Needs Improvement to Retain Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStrong focus on education
    Work life balance
    Good benefits
    Enjoy the many locations and ability to visit them all (except Florida)
    Great downtown location in Chicago

ConsHorrible culture of distrust
    No promotions except for higher levels, no room for growth anyone except tenure-track
    Fear that this will be run as a for-profit soon rather than a nonprofit
    Extreme disorganization from top to bottom

Advice to Senior ManagementProve to your employees you want and need them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director

Director (Former Employee) Wheeling, IL

ProsFriendly people, some good marketing strategies

ConsToo many meetings, and staffing short due to previous layoffs. Morale low due to layoffs and lack of resources

Advice to Senior ManagementDisconnect between education and enrollment. Get everyone on the same page.

Great place to work!

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) Wheeling, IL

ProsFamily atmosphere, everyone cares for one another, fulfilling work with people who want to make a difference.

ConsOne of the employees has on their desk: "Your lack of planning does not make it my emergency". It sometimes feels like there's a few too many emergencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. NLU is a great place to be.

Remedial students enrolled in graduate school

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBecause of the low-quality student body, you won't have to work very hard.

ConsTeaching here, you won't be treated like a member of faculty and be prepared to have to defend the grades you assign. Some students are woefully unprepared and don't seem to understand the concept of "earning" a grade. The burden is on the instructor to make it easy, make it fun, and make sure that every student is satisfied with their experience that they purchased via tuition.

National-Louis University Response

Dec 2, 2013Director of Emloyment

Our students inspire us every day with the passion and dedication they show for their academic goals, the professions they seek to join and lead, and their families and communities. I was ... More

No Direction; Upward Mobility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible.... that is about it.

ConsPay is horrible. School can't decide if it wants to be for profit or not-for-profit. Infrastructure is dated. The institution is so cheap that they don't even vacuum offices. No room for advancement because the older employees won't retire. They are complacent and stuck in a time warp. No new ideas. Management speaks of wanting to develop employees but they don't. They are too busy in meetings all day and being warm and fuzzy. Information that is disseminated is often wrong and confusing. Instead of getting it right the first or even the second time it takes about 4 or more times to get it right. Managers are busy trying to make their enrollment numbers and not developing subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees. Develop your employees.

Great place to adjunct if you work hard

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Wheeling, IL

ProsHonest Professors and great students

ConsYouhave to work for bookings

Advice to Senior ManagementTake adjuncts more seriously

This school may be closed within 5 years

Library Services Coordinator (Former Employee) Lisle, IL

ProsThe students and most of the faculty are eager to help.

ConsSalary is poor, leadership is unorganized. Turnover is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they deserve and you will have a strong faculty and not need to cut budgets and downsize staff in order to survive. The layoffs were appalling.

enrollment

Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthe employess are didecated and innovative

Consyears of weak startegic desicions are impacting the university

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the street level employees.

Worked for National-Louis University? Contribute to the Community!