National MS Society Reviews

1. Freelance and volunteer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at National MS Society

Pros

Awesome cause for restricted demographic of clients and constituants. Large stable corporate environment and heirarchy

Cons

Corporate leadership politics can hurt middle management stability. Workers are enough degrees of freedom away

2. Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at National MS Society

Pros

excellent time off policies, great flexible work arrangements policy, dedicated staff who are passionate about their work. great opportunities to grow and develop. online learning system. open dialogue with management

Cons

pay could be a little better, but makes up for it in benefits and flexible work arrangements

Advice to Management

check the market and adjust salaries to be more competitive. Great time off and flexibility are so great but you still have to pay the bills!

3. none

I worked at National MS Society

Pros

Nice office staff at my location

Cons

Poor communication from management. Was not kept informed.

Advice to Management

More communication helps

5. Volunteer Manager

I have been working at National MS Society (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment that fosters growth, career life balance and is open to new ideas.

Cons

No cons at this time

Run, this is a sinking ship!

I worked at National MS Society

Pros

Most staff members are great and really care about their jobs and helping people.

Cons

The President barely comes to work and is horrible to work for. No accountabilty on the millions raised...where does it all go? Not helping enough people that really need it with the amount raised.

Advice to Management

Come to work more than 2 days a week and show some interest. Be transparent with the money not secretive.

7. National MS Society Intern

I worked at National MS Society

Pros

Learn a lot, actively engaged in making a difference, exciting work environment, good for intro to non profit work but can be overwhelming. There are so many opportunities for further growth after the internship ends.

Cons

Sometimes as an intern, I felt like a number. There were just so many interns and workers that I didn't feel as valued as I would've liked. Sometimes I would just sit on a computer all day with nothing to do because everyone else was doing things. It's a tough environment sometimes.

Great while it lasted

Former Employee - Programs & Services in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Programs & Services in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at National MS Society full-time

Pros

I loved the flexibility and autonomy my position offered. My director supervisor was wonderful and very supportive. It was great knowing I was making a difference in the lives of individuals with MS.

Cons

Often expected to work long hours at events. Frequent staff turn over. Major layoffs during past year, presumably due to budget issues. Felt like there was too much focus on raising money and not enough on helping those with MS (but I acknowledge that fundraising is necessary for the organization to function).

Advice to Management

Listen to individuals with MS and address their needs accordingly. Remember the mission. Seek guidance from long term staff who are well connected with the MS community. Keep staff involved in important organizational decisions.

9. Great organization to be a part of!

Former Employee - President in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - President in Birmingham, AL

I worked at National MS Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is very mission focused. They had great training and resources for professional development. They also have established events and programs with turn key manuals to allow easy implementation. Very unified and consistent in their messaging and client service.

Cons

I don't have many cons. When I was there the organization slowly centralized a lot of the tasks that were done at a chapter level. Though this was more efficient and what was best for the organization we had to do some crisis communication with our clients, volunteers and donors to make sure they were comfortable with the changes.

Advice to Management

Continue with the professional development and motivating chapter leadership

Strong non-profit agency delivery numerous programs to persons and families diagnosed with MS

I have been working at National MS Society

Pros

The National MS Society offers an extensive variety of programs, services, resources and connection opportunities for people living with and affected by MS, including family members, caregivers and other members of their support systems.

Cons

NMSS does not receive any government financial assistance with at times can limit some programs offered. This organization runs of financial contributions and does an awesome job.

Advice to Management

NMSS management staff are a group of dedicated professionals that give many hours to the cause. They go above and beyond.

11. They try hard

Former Employee - Programs in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Programs in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National MS Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, PTO, benefits, people seem to care

Cons

Management, lack of budget oversight, lack of training, pressure to meet financial goals without taking climate into account

Advice to Management

Develop trustworthy leaders, people who have integrity. The people doing the grunt work have a lot on their plate. If you expect them to give you the benefit of the doubt, you should do the same for them. It's not all about money- it's about helping people with MS.

RSS Feed </> Embed