National MS Society

3.5

Cyndi Zagieboylo

National MS Society Intern

I worked at National MS Society

Pros

Learn a lot, actively engaged in making a difference, exciting work environment, good for intro to non profit work but can be overwhelming. There are so many opportunities for further growth after the internship ends.

Cons

Sometimes as an intern, I felt like a number. There were just so many interns and workers that I didn't feel as valued as I would've liked. Sometimes I would just sit on a computer all day with nothing to do because everyone else was doing things. It's a tough environment sometimes.

Corporate development intern

Former Employee - Corporate Development Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Development Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at National MS Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked on the BP MS 150 event team. I had a lot of exposure to Fortune 500 corporate sponsors. The team works very hard and well together. I got a chance to volunteer for MS patients. You get a lot of flexibility and encouragement to run with your own ideas. The team spends time outside of the office meeting with potential sponsors and working on operations planning. People are given the flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Some of the corporate-wide conference call meetings are boring.

Great while it lasted

Former Employee - Programs & Services in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Programs & Services in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at National MS Society full-time

Pros

I loved the flexibility and autonomy my position offered. My director supervisor was wonderful and very supportive. It was great knowing I was making a difference in the lives of individuals with MS.

Cons

Often expected to work long hours at events. Frequent staff turn over. Major layoffs during past year, presumably due to budget issues. Felt like there was too much focus on raising money and not enough on helping those with MS (but I acknowledge that fundraising is necessary for the organization to function).

Listen to individuals with MS and address their needs accordingly. Remember the mission. Seek guidance from long term staff who are well connected with the MS community. Keep staff involved in important organizational decisions.

Good for gaining experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National MS Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people here are easy-going and very friendly.
    Learned things that I would never have picked up in college, or in my previous jobs, for that matter.

Cons

Little to no pressure for getting things done.
    Communication among the staff could be better.

Improve on communication; have the employees/interns respond to e-mails in a timely fashion.

Great organization to be a part of!

Former Employee - President in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - President in Birmingham, AL

I worked at National MS Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is very mission focused. They had great training and resources for professional development. They also have established events and programs with turn key manuals to allow easy implementation. Very unified and consistent in their messaging and client service.

Cons

I don't have many cons. When I was there the organization slowly centralized a lot of the tasks that were done at a chapter level. Though this was more efficient and what was best for the organization we had to do some crisis communication with our clients, volunteers and donors to make sure they were comfortable with the changes.

Continue with the professional development and motivating chapter leadership

Strong non-profit agency delivery numerous programs to persons and families diagnosed with MS

I have been working at National MS Society

Pros

The National MS Society offers an extensive variety of programs, services, resources and connection opportunities for people living with and affected by MS, including family members, caregivers and other members of their support systems.

Cons

NMSS does not receive any government financial assistance with at times can limit some programs offered. This organization runs of financial contributions and does an awesome job.

NMSS management staff are a group of dedicated professionals that give many hours to the cause. They go above and beyond.

They try hard

Former Employee - Programs in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Programs in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National MS Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, PTO, benefits, people seem to care

Cons

Management, lack of budget oversight, lack of training, pressure to meet financial goals without taking climate into account

Develop trustworthy leaders, people who have integrity. The people doing the grunt work have a lot on their plate. If you expect them to give you the benefit of the doubt, you should do the same for them. It's not all about money- it's about helping people with MS.

Executive management is misleading

I have been working at National MS Society

Pros

I love most the people and the resources of the company.

Cons

The society lacks planning when hiring and the last few years have had layoffs or cleaning out of departments. No one is safe.

Preaching transparency and acting on it is misleading at the society.

This place will try to get everything out of you, good and bad.

I worked at National MS Society

Pros

You are challenged and expected to push yourself to be a better worker

Cons

Staff moral is very low

Take the time to really listen to your staff, not just how they are performing in their role but how they are also feeling/acting around the office. It's important to get the pulse of the staff and the chapter I worked out, people were not happy.

It was one of the best places I worked

I have been working at National MS Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't have a lot of pressure from your bosses or from corp. And the hours are flexible so if you need to make doctor appointments etc, they didn't have a problem, as long as you worked your 40

Cons

if you wanted to be successful you didn't have a great personal life. Corporate was not very supportive

Roll up your sleeves and help out sometimes.