National Marine Manufacturers Association

Updated May 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas Dammrich

Enjoy being part of the recovery!

(Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe co-workers are all very friendly! This is the first company that I've worked for that I can actually recognize and name nearly all of my co-workers. Sure the small size helps with this, but I've worked in offices with 100 employees and could only name a dozen employees outside of my department.

The company honestly cares about their customers. In all my past companies, we were all trying to sell something our customers could do without. Being a part of the work here is very fulfilling.

Upper and most of middle management have a clear head on how to manage a company and people. They are capable of defusing issues between employees and departments. They are not reserved about letting problematic employees, that are detrimental to the operation of the company. Management is also very approachable.

The company offers flexible hours, and during the summer they offer "Summer Hours" where you work an extra hour M-Thur, and then work a half day on Friday.

Salary is competitive, and the bonuses are REAL. (First company I've ever worked for that had a "bonus program" that actually paid on the program!)

They offer a Pension and a 401K, with matching.

President writes a blog, and is very in touch with his employees, considering he is the President of the company. Every month he holds an employee day at the HQ, while corny is still enjoyable to attend.

I feel I'm familiar with the issues "Not a Good Place to Work" had with the company. Those issues are in regards to a single individual. That employee can be difficult to work with, but management is aware of the issue. As for the religious/culture, I'm completely ignorant of this being an issue. They are tolerant of religions and cultures outside "white" "Christian" "American", and very flexible when it comes to religious prayer. Outside of that, there isn't discussion of religion, which I would be sensitive to.

ConsHaving a difficult boss can be difficult.

The work never ends within the IT world, while the rest of the company have their cycles.

The company needs more support personnel.

The review process focuses on achievement of goals, rather than job performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the bi-annual review process to a more traditional process.

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Proslocation, several of the workers. I was fortunate as I was able to leave NMMA and was rewarded with an excellent job with great pay and benefits at my new company.

Consmanagement is horrible and look out for themselves. They promote people based on religion / culture and not ability. In all the positions I have ever held at other companies, I have never been treated as poorly as at NMMA. Most of the "directors" are clueless, the president is rarely around as he is always "traveling on company business" and the insurance is horrible.

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue as to how some of your employees treat other employees - IT area especially. If you are looking for a job in web or IT, do not consider this place.

NMMA

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place to learn and try new things

ConsNot as nimble and stuck in old school mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to the lowest rung of the ladder as well as top managment, the place has lost focus of the staff sometimes

Worked for National Marine Manufacturers Association? Contribute to the Community!