National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Cyndi Zagieboylo

1. Intern

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work in

Cons

not helpful in finding placement after internship

none

2. Good Experience

Current Intern - Developmental Department
    Current Intern - Developmental Department

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern here during my time in college, and as many students know, internships can be a source of extreme stress. Luckily for me, I did not have a stressful experience. I worked for the Developmental Department which focused on the companies event planning. All of my superiors were so nice and always willing to help, the energy in the office was great. They were also very flexible with my scheduling, giving me enough time after or before my classes to arrive on time. I was only on campus four days a week, so they found a way to allow me to work the same four days since I would go home on weekends for my part time job.

I worked along side another intern which made the job even more fun. We conducted a lot of research for products and materials that would be need to be purchased as well as locating possible sponsors. I also focused on creating online postings through multiple local websites to promote the event.

Cons

I was hired while the company was in between two major events, so unfortunately I did not get to see my work put to use. Some days were slower than others, and I wish I could have done a little more to add to my portfolio. I was offered to continue my time with them after my internship had ended, but they were moving offices and it was not close enough to the college I had one semester left at.

3. Excellent place to work!!

Former Employee - Social Worker in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Pros

Amazing co-workers and management as well as supportive environment

Cons

pay could be a bit higher

more advancement opportunities

Minimal assistance provided to people with MS

Former Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The National MS Society raises funds for research

Cons

The MS Society provides very little by way of assistance for people with MS. At the same time, the Chapter Presidents have large salaries (Gateway Chapter over $160,000) while staff are poorly paid.

If you want to raise funds for research, you need to be seen as a help to the community by providing assistance to people battling the disease.

6. Intern

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Pros

The staff there were kind an respectful to me all throughout my process

Cons

However, because there is so little help in the office the staff tend to overwork you

7. Great Organization, Great People

Former Employee - Event Planning Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Event Planning Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Your work makes a difference in the lives of millions of people. You are given lots of responsibility from day one.

Cons

Sometimes direction from upper management is lacking. Resources, especially human capital are stretched thin around big events.

8. Great, loved it, but retired in November 2014

Former Employee - Staff Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family environment, personable and team players arena. Pleasant and compassionate people.

Cons

Getting others to ask for assistance when needed and not at the last minute.

Minimize staff meetings and to only include topics that all can participate in.

Terrible work environment

Former Employee - Development in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Development in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were for the most part amazing. Staff is dedicated and willing to help each other whenever possible. Mission of organization is worthwhile. Health benefits were great in order to offset low salaries. Flexible with schedule and good PTO.

Cons

Toxic work environment. No support or direction from senior leadership. Chapter has laid off 50% of staff since Sept. 2013. Little to no professional development opportunities were available to advance skills or learn new things. Development staff was expected to be available at a moments notice to attend recruitment events, etc. that had little or no impact on event recruitment or fundraising. Senior leadership seems to have no idea what they are doing and there was no communication about what was going on with the Chapter. There were many talks of "changing how we do business" with no processes or plans for how changes would be implemented or executed.

Invest in the staff and offer solutions instead of vague ideas for change. Share good and bad news so everyone knows where things stand.

10. In a quick decline. We are not growing income because we do not have solid fundraising experience at the national level

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Chapter staff work tirelessly. Chapter opinions are not respected. National department leads are fearful of CEO.

Cons

Since new CEO our culture has changed. Now employees don't want to talk out of fear of retribution. Little trust with Field Service Officer also.

In need of turnover. Must live our core values.

11. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Development Coordinator in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Development Coordinator in Hartford, CT

I have been working at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Making a difference in finding a cure for MS

Cons

Understaffed, difficult to balance work - life, compensation is less than attractive, no opportunity to work from home.

National Multiple Sclerosis Society Photos

Bike MS Promo
Thank you for your Support!
Bike MS 2013