National Nurses United

Updated January 28, 2015
4 reviews filtered by
2.8
Deborah Burger

1. Social Justice as my job? I love it. Yes, I work hard, it's a movement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at National Nurses United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only worked here a year, but I haven't been bored yet. It is hard, and intense, and I love that. I keep learning, my job makes an actual difference in peoples lives, and it matters what I do every day.
    My coworkers are some of the smartest, most dedicated, effective people I've ever met. They actually care what they are fighting for, and it feels like I'm lock armed in a real movement.
    Most of our members are women. We fight to better the lives of women and make real changes around the country. so yes, we work hard, but look at who we are working for.
    The pay and benefits are also great. I love that this is a place that pays professional salaries for social justice work.

Cons

I work a lot. Work life balance isn't a reality here. This isn't the place you go if you just "want a job" or if you are used to not being expected to really work all day, or you want to leave promptly at 5 and not care about your job outside of work. This is an all-in kind of thing. It’s really demanding.

2. Ironic, Hypocritical and ABUSIVE Employer!

Former Employee - Organizer
    Former Employee - Organizer

I worked at National Nurses United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a nonprofit, the salaries seem good. Weighed out against the amount of hours and days they require their employees to work and often travel full-time, it's barely minimum wage. Their health insurance is good and they offer a pension.

Cons

They are an abusive, enormously hypocritical employer. Period. They tout ideological ideas about workers' rights while treating their own employees like dirt. The culture of the organization is a cult of personality of the NON-RN leadership and a caste system. The NON-RN leadership hold themselves in much, much higher regard than the rank and file employees, particularly the organizers who are considered the lowest caste. Being an organizer at NNU is a miserable experience.

If you are the type to question bad policies or tactics, watch out! They do not tolerate dissent in the ranks and these folks know how to manipulate labor law better than anyone. They will treat you unfairly and they will do it with the full support of the law.

If you're the kind of person who is happy to go with the program, not ask questions of management, work 15 hour days, 6-7 days a week, go for it! They'll act like they're doing you a favor when they send you home for 2 days every 3 weeks while working indefinitely on an out-of-town assignment. They'll shift you around all over the country with absolutely no regard for your family situation or personal needs. They'll send you to dangerous areas like the border of Texas and Mexico and not care at all about your safety. If that sounds like a good life to you, by all means, go work for NNU!

If you're the type who actually cares about increasing the amount of unionized RNs in this country, this isn't the place for you. More often than not, NNU raids units of already organized RNs, stealing members away from other unions.

You see, it's a lot cheaper and easier to increase member numbers by convincing already organized workers to switch unions. But that doesn't do a thing to increase the overall density of unionized RNs in this country which would increase RNs power in general. It only increases NNU's dominance and the power of RNs' membership to NNU while, ironically, not increasing their power as an RN. There is a definitive argument to be made that NNU and most other labor unions that decertify (raid) other unions are the biggest offenders in holding back the growth of the labor movement.

If you're considering a career in the labor movement, I suggest looking elsewhere. But I've yet to hear about a union that treated it's employees the same way they expect employers to treat their members. I've worked for several and know many people who have as well.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I could possibly say to these megalomaniacs that would resonate. They'll all have to retire or pass away before anything changes at NNU. Or perhaps RN members will eventually tire of the NON-RN leadership of this sad union and their abusive practices and take over. For the sake of the nursing profession and the wellbeing of RNs, one can only hope.

3. Great mission on paper, one of the worst places I have ever worked; demoralizing, backstabbing, management based on fear

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at National Nurses United full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay well and if you can tolerate the toxic management style you may get to do one or two things that make a difference. The nurses themselves are wonderful people.

Cons

Staff treated like disposable puppets, creative thinking, problem solving and dissent strongly discouraged. Culture results in perennial "yes" people rising to the top, middle management prone to territoriality and political gaming as a result of not being adequately mentored or respected. Some very bad apples tolerated because they thrive in dysfunction. 18 month probationary period is excessive and allows for temporary hiring and firing at whim.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming moral superiority is unquestionable and that being in constant fights with employers, the right and the Democratic party means you can do or say anything you feel. Act like progressives instead of just talking and posing like them.

5. nonstop work, terrible coworkers, great pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at National Nurses United

Pros

They pay really well and guarantee raises every year. Some people there were making 80K after being there for only 4 years, with no real marketable skills or training that merits that type of pay.

Cons

Expect to work 16 hours a day, every single day of the week. It also sucks if you are paired with a jerk as your mentor when you start out

Advice to Management

Screen applicants and potential employees better.