National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

3.7

CEO

Great place to Start

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time

Pros

Great place to start a career, learn, make mistakes learn from them and build resume. You can easily work on many different ships.

Cons

Not much room for advancement, no crew rotation.

Great experience as AOML research intern

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Key Biscayne, FL
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Key Biscayne, FL

I worked at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great safety culture. Good orientation which made me feel confident I'd want to return as a full time employee in the future. Supervisors took time to teach me new experimental methods and ensured I completely understood how to use all equipment before beginning any tasks.

Cons

Didn't affect my work directly but my direct supervisors and I had issues traveling to conferences and remote work sites which required excessive amount of time and paperwork re travel regulations, reimbursements, etc. A lot of red tape to get through.

wage mariner

Former Employee - Wage Mariner  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Wage Mariner in Norfolk, VA

I worked at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel to interesting places, meet scientists, work on some of the newest ships in the industry

Cons

Relief pool mariners are treated as second class citizens, especially in regard to training- in other words, NOAA will not send you to training (other than mandatory IT and OSHA stuff). Meanwhile, mariners with permanent ship assignments will get all kinds of training, sometimes for months on end. We have to have the same skills and abilities on the job so there is no logical reason for this. They tell me it's the budget. Well, fix the budget.
    Pay is also well below industry average, and that is why many of us are leaving.

Improve pay, offer training to relief pool mariners, improve time off and get a rotation going.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, hard to get things done

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Pros

Good company, stable, gym, good access to metro

Cons

Government politics, hard to get things done.

You feel like you can make a difference by working here!

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff and colleagues; ability to have an AWS

Cons

Small station. Promotions rare due to size of station.

Bonuses rarely given despite good performance. At any and all levels.

Great place to get environmental law experience as an intern, typical federal government internship

Former Employee - Legal Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

There are a lot of attorneys with a broad range of experiences. People are mostly friendly and willing to help you out.

Cons

All the typical federal government bureaucratic issues. There isn't a lot of feed back on work unless you find the right person who is willing to help you out. In my experience it took a lot of effort to get people to help me figure out if I was doing the right stuff.

If you are going to take on legal interns make sure there is a system in place to help them gain meaningful experience and criticism.

Great Experience, just not my niche for where I want accelerate in my future career

Former Employee - Administrative Support Assistant  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Assistant in Princeton, NJ

Pros

I enjoyed everyone's company within my department as an Admin assistant.

Cons

Pay was not very generous to say the least, but then again it is a federal company/organization which relies on federal funding.

The Admin department really handles 90% of the functioning of the GFDL building. I do think that a lot of the scientists should show more appreciation to the department.

Great government research laboratory experience

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great research projects, great work-life balance, interesting people who love fish! This is a comfortable place to work, with scientific experts who you can learn a lot from, and research projects that are done collaboratively. My boss set me up with a fantastic research opportunity and the ability to publish 3 papers! I also learned R and the major statistical methods used by ecologists and fisheries scientists, which has prepared me for future positions.

Cons

Difficult to get a permanent position here. The government has not been hiring in recent years, and this worsened with the Sequestration. A lot of the employees here are on contract.

Try to retain more of your post-docs.

Satisfying work, too many policy and management types

I have been working at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is highly satisfying. We do great science in amazing places.

Cons

In recent years, there has been a move to hire more policy and management people and fewer scientists. That's brought the agency down. The people creating performance measures have no idea about the work or outcomes that are being assessed. The policy and management people are an overpaid subculture that create paper and committees, but have little impact (positive or negative) on the real work of the agency. That goes on despite them.

Hire people with extensive science backgrounds into management and policy positions. Many scientists can learn policy and management. Few policy and management people can learn the science.

the places we go and the things we do....Dr Seuss

Former Employee - Able Body Seaman  in  Davisville, RI
    Former Employee - Able Body Seaman in Davisville, RI

I worked at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

going places that few or if anyone has every gone to before, some of the people you meet and feeling like your making a difference in the world.

Cons

200 to 250 days a year at sea, sometimes the food sucks depending on who's cooking, typical government BS, being so safe that your going to get someone hurt,

listen to your crew more, learn about the rule of give and take.

National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Photos

Worked for National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration? Contribute to the Community!