National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
www.noaa.gov Silver Springs, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014

You feel like you can make a difference by working here!

ProsGreat staff and colleagues; ability to have an AWS

ConsSmall station. Promotions rare due to size of station.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonuses rarely given despite good performance. At any and all levels.

Great place to get environmental law experience as an intern, typical federal government internship

Legal Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThere are a lot of attorneys with a broad range of experiences. People are mostly friendly and willing to help you out.

ConsAll the typical federal government bureaucratic issues. There isn't a lot of feed back on work unless you find the right person who is willing to help you out. In my experience it took a lot of effort to get people to help me figure out if I was doing the right stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to take on legal interns make sure there is a system in place to help them gain meaningful experience and criticism.

Great Experience, just not my niche for where I want accelerate in my future career

Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsI enjoyed everyone's company within my department as an Admin assistant.

ConsPay was not very generous to say the least, but then again it is a federal company/organization which relies on federal funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Admin department really handles 90% of the functioning of the GFDL building. I do think that a lot of the scientists should show more appreciation to the department.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great government research laboratory experience

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat research projects, great work-life balance, interesting people who love fish! This is a comfortable place to work, with scientific experts who you can learn a lot from, and research projects that are done collaboratively. My boss set me up with a fantastic research opportunity and the ability to publish 3 papers! I also learned R and the major statistical methods used by ecologists and fisheries scientists, which has prepared me for future positions.

ConsDifficult to get a permanent position here. The government has not been hiring in recent years, and this worsened with the Sequestration. A lot of the employees here are on contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain more of your post-docs.

Satisfying work, too many policy and management types

ProsThe work is highly satisfying. We do great science in amazing places.

ConsIn recent years, there has been a move to hire more policy and management people and fewer scientists. That's brought the agency down. The people creating performance measures have no idea about the work or outcomes that are being assessed. The policy and management people are an overpaid subculture that create paper and committees, but have little impact (positive or negative) on the real work of the agency. That goes on despite them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with extensive science backgrounds into management and policy positions. Many scientists can learn policy and management. Few policy and management people can learn the science.

Stable but stagnant

Information Technology (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsStable, great benefits, friendly coworkers. Good budget. Working for a noble cause.

ConsDuplicative, wasteful, inefficient. I often find myself ashamed at how the government squanders taxpayers dollars. No raise in over 3 years. Whatever salary you get hired at you are stuck there and it becomes a pay decrease year after year when factoring in inflation. They spend so much money on inanimate objects yet fail to properly compensate employees. So many lazy people not working and when they do it is at a snails pace, it is ridiculous. They would be fired without hesitation in the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better with regards to pay.

the places we go and the things we do....Dr Seuss

Able Body Seaman (Former Employee)
    Davisville, RI

Prosgoing places that few or if anyone has every gone to before, some of the people you meet and feeling like your making a difference in the world.

Cons200 to 250 days a year at sea, sometimes the food sucks depending on who's cooking, typical government BS, being so safe that your going to get someone hurt,

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your crew more, learn about the rule of give and take.

Great Agency - Locally Poor Management

Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsDedicated staff who care about the resources for which they are working.

ConsLocal management has seemed to lost reason they are here - the resources. Also little regard for employees. Very little merit based recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the hard work the staff produces. Think innovatively to recognize staff.

Interesting work

ProsMany interesting scientific areas to work in.

ConsLeadership isn't always clear on where they are going.

Great mission, great people, not enough resources (i.e. $).

Management/Program Analyst (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat mission, in DC good opportunities for rapid advancement up the chain, brilliant, passionate coworkers. Opportunity for growth - many projects available to get involved with that require travel, research, creativity.

ConsThe agency has fewer resources than it needs. In DC the work life balance can be off balance but it's acknowledged and they try to mitigate. If you're a hard worker you can max out the salary band in just a few years.

Worked for National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration reviews and ratings. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration employees.