National Oilwell Varco

www.nov.com

National Oilwell Varco Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

National Oilwell Varco Chairman, President, CEO, and Director Pete Miller Jr.

Pete Miller Jr.

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Some problems with middle management(in 7 reviews)

• no work life balance and bad management(in 4 reviews)

Too corporate

ProsThe company has great benefits (medical, dental, 401k, etc.). There is a lot of diversity among people. A lot can be learned; great for starting a career.

ConsThe culture could use some work. There is a lot of complacency, lack of leadership, and poor communication. While there is a lot to learn, there is also a lot of unwillingness to teach.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication and motivation; More willingness to teach

Great company

Director of Quality (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsGreat leadership and direction and an energy not seen at other companies.

ConsExecutive management does not consider input form below

Not at all happy

ProsIt is close to where I live.

ConsNo chance to advance, no bonus system, building is cold in winter and HOT in summer

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They are a good company to work for. Very innovative in their products

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy going culture. Promote creativity and thinking outside the box

ConsSalaries are lower than market

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Expediter was my job duties.

Expeditor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI have the the ability to get the job done!

ConsI have a lot of experiences in this field.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like a chance to show you what I have to offer.

Too BIG to fail

CNC Machinist (Former Employee) Conroe, TX

ProsGreat place to get started, as long as you don;t mind really long hours. Always Hiring on the shop floor, willing to take inexperienced people as machinists. Insurance is great, but can't make up for pay scale. Massive over time, in most departments.

ConsMassive overtime. Management over shop floor (motors) wants 13 days of 12 hour shifts then want you to volunteer on the 14 "exhaustion day". Actually Will take vacation time instead of letting you off for the doctor or family or just rest. Pay is... tricky, If you start at a good rate you'll be ok, but they NEVER give raises or cost of living adjustments, worked there 2.5 years and never got a raise and worked with people that had been there up to 8 years and still at same pay. The three people that taught/trained me all left for other companies and increases in pay ($17 at NOV to $22 to $25 at other shops)

Advice to Senior ManagementRun the shop on 3 -8 hour shifts, it would keep costs lower for you and would allow more time away for the employee. Give pay increases, so you can retain good employees. Run 3 shifts of supervisors as well, also when you ask employees for input actually listen, even more so when you hire in a consultant listen to them.

Held Back

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

Prosgood Benefits and nice people mostly. hours are good, most weekends off, early off on fridays

ConsNo chance to move up, terrible management, bad pay, favoritism from management, alot of lies from management, discrimination, quantity over quality.

Advice to Senior Managementget new people. stop bogarding raises so that your bonuses are bigger.

Been able to learn and grow but Salary is not great

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood environment. Learning a lot about oil and gas manufacturing. Benefits are great too

ConsThe salary is not good.

Large company with different environments depending on location

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally stable career path. There is room to advance and move around within the company. Benefits are competitive, and bonuses for salaried employees tend to be good.

ConsThe drilling tools segment of the company is still very much run by the "good ol' boy" philosophy. Who you know is what matters most for most of the service locations. Often times there are people in desired positions who have little business being there. This is noticed by most employees and, as you would expect, it tends to bring down morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fairness in advancement would do wonders for productivity.

Bad experience. Low pay.

(Former Employee) San Angelo, TX

ProsSome of the employees were easy to get along with, but some of them acted like children.

ConsEverything. Horrible management, no emphasis on safety. Management was unwilling to listen to new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementShorten your training sessions down to no more than 15 minutes. Trust me, your employees will enjoy the safety meetings more and get alot more information out of them if they aren't an hour and a half long. Safety meetings are not measured by how much information you give your audience, but by how much information your audience takes in and is able to regurgitate. Take a different approach to safety concerns and get rid of the "I'm the safety guy, and you'll do what I say" mentality. It didn't work in the years before I worked there, it didn't work while I was there, and it's not going to work now. If you're idea of lowering the number of accidents is to fire anyone for doing an unsafe act, then you need a wake up call. Your employees need training, hands-on, straight to the point, training on safety issues, not hour and a half long classroom lectures. Take the time to actually listen to your employees about their safety concerns and ask them what types of PPE or whatever they like to wear, and don't force something on them. If an employee says a faceshield is too uncomfortable and they choose not to wear it, don't blame them. The fault is your own for not assesing their situation and addressing their concerns. Most importantly, quit playing favorites, and I know for a fact it was happening while I was there. Last but not least, enlist the help from outside sources, either through consultants or whatever. You claim that no one knows your employees' jobs better than the employees themselves, but that's what a consultant is, an expert in that field who can come in with a new perspective. Believe me, with the track record you have, you need all the help you can get because management there has no clue what to do.

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!