National Oilwell Varco

www.nov.com

National Oilwell Varco Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 22, 2014

National Oilwell Varco Chairman, President, CEO, and Director Pete Miller Jr.

Pete Miller Jr.

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Some problems with middle management(in 7 reviews)

• no work life balance and bad management(in 4 reviews)

136 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Easy going with crests and troughs of work.

Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIf you like to take it easy..

ConsPoor pay. Older management comes with a stingy mindset of paying less. Better to hire more than one person for the job so that each can be paid less.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMany opportunities to improve and advance. Many resources available to employees. Very good benefits. Job security.

ConsProcesses and systems not as advanced. Difficulty getting responses from manufacturing facilities.

Exciting place to come to work everyday

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of opportunities. Work hard, produce results, and you'll move up

Consnot as structured as other companies in terms of employee grade and salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a unified strategy that enables collaboration among the different divisions for growth opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Does not respect people and disorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros401k is good and insurance is ok

Cons1. Some managers and employees have so much attitudes and being disrespectful.
    2. Not well organized and does NOT plan things well, always want stuff in the last minute and want it right away like you have magic.
    3. Regular works cannot be done on a regular basis because you need to fix for what other people have done wrong on the same thing over and over again.
    4. Cannot take a personal day off without pay, YES, even without pay! This Manager forces you to use your vacation or sick leave. Can't even use at time when You want it to ?! So ridiculous!
    5.Hourly employees only have 3 days sick leave for entire year, if unluckily get sick often, then gotta to use vacation days.
    6. This Manager is never gonna let you transfer to other location or other job opportunity unless you are applying for a management level position. Cannot be transferring because other location is close to home? Or simply just want a total different position? I don't think anyone will know better about what I really want and good for me except for myself. Eventually people have to leave the company. I'm pretty sure this does not happen to all NOV though, this manager just make NOV looks so bad!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementShould learn how to manage/ respect employees. Saying something mean does not get any answer you want and does not make u superior to others.

Ok place to work at, little pressure, low salary

Finance (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPeople are friendly and welcoming, even to minorities. Slower pace of work.

ConsLowest salaries offered in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take care of the common employees via more benefits and/or remuneration. You're not the only ones helping build the company and generating revenue.

Great benefits, and security of sorts

Department Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefits
    Plenty of overtime for hourly
    Experience for those that apply themselves

ConsLack of leadership
    Biased management
    Very little professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementAbove the factory level, management seems unaware of front line morale and poor leadership. Instead of making feel good videos, come talk to the men who work in the trenches. Plant Management, listen to the employees and take action. A meeting in and of itself doesn't fix anything unless you listen without one upping each and every story.

Seven Years Overseas and Domestic Service at NOV

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Conroe, TX

ProsOpportunities to develop and demonstrate skills in overseas locations - the Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Trinidad and Tobago, Singapore, Thailand, Offshore United Kingdom.

ConsHeavy internal politics, jealousy on the part of second-class supervisors, false Patent applications obtained by "borrowing" Applications filed by others,

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute a moral SHAKEDOWN at NOV, re-instate former employees and establish a COD OF CONDUCT for LL Supervisors. Re-investigate all forced terminations since 2009!!

stay far away

Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosglobal operations - opportunity for lateral movement

Conspay, attitude of employees, nepotism, everything

Advice to Senior Managementdie

Good learning experience

Production Planner (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits: insurance, 401K, starting salary

Conspoor management, very "lax" culture

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in formal training programs for new employees.

Plenty of work.

Quality Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNOV has a young workforce. They believe in allowing that workforce to grow and make business decisions. Makes for good experience. Benefits are outstanding.

ConsWork/Life balance is off. Oil & gas rigs are working 24/7, some manufacturing plants are working 24/7, it sometimes feels like I should be working 24/7. I am told salaries are lower than other companies, but I am satisfied with my rate of pay. Quality culture is still in the inspect it better phase.

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!