National Oilwell Varco Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position" (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • A high number of leaders in middle management is a COMPLETE waste of company money (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance and bad management" (in 6 reviews)

1. National Oilwell Varco Corporate is a great place to work if you're prepared to WORK!

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Work life balance. Professional growth is paramount

Cons

A million and one smaller subsidiaries to deal with.

Advice to Management

Really these are some of the smartest, most professional folks I've met.

2. You make your own career

Current Employee - Corporate Distribution Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Distribution Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Strong coworkers - I've met admirable people with extremely varied skill sets great management - visionary, growing the company, communicating the vision, thinking about the future by hiring high-potential individuals on all levels (including college grads) -great work environment and company culture - Senior VP's always have their door open, go to happy hour with everyone else. -employee oriented - if you perform, management will keep you interested. There are lots of young people with really exciting careers. If you want to work abroad, you can. If you want to be in the US, you can do that as well. If you're interested in working for a different group, just speak up. As long as you perform, you make your own career. Working with different groups is encouraged to learn about the business.

Cons

Disconnect between divisions (Rig Solutions, Downhole, Distribution, Mission, Tuboscope, Brandt, Grand Prideco, etc)

Advice to Management

Won't pretend to know better... it would be great if the different divisions worked together a little bit better, but I understand that the quickest way to kill an acquisition is to completely change the acquired company's way of doing things.

Depending on your department can be a great place to develop as an engineer.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

NOV has a lot of very independent departments. The department I work is really good at recognizing, developing, and rewarding engineering talent. We produce some of the best equipment in the world and everyone in the industry recognizes the name and usually says 'oh, that's a really good company' when I tell them where I work. Work life balance is OK The work is very interesting. In 2009 when everybody was in a downturn NOV had the money to develop new products so when in 2010 the market picked back up we were in a great position. There is always money to develop very cool expensive products. Benefits are great. For salaried employees bonus plan is great, although overtime pay would be better.

Cons

NOV has a lot of very independent departments. I can be hard to know what is going on in the rest of the company if you don't try to meet others. There are some politics that have to be played but it is not nearly as bad as some large companies.

Advice to Management

I would focus on integrating the company better. Allow for more movement within the company. Also hire engineers that want to be engineers. Engineers that want to be in sales are great but we also need more engineers that want to stay in engineering.

5. Always treated fairly

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

As the innovative leader in the development of equipment used for oil exploration, NOV promotes diversity in the workplace and has created fair and equitable conditions where hard-work and competence are rewarded. It is a good place to work.

Cons

There is a lack of 'common-sense' project management. I believe this is because NOV is an acquisition-based company that has yet to bring all these disparate groups together under one logical unit. This is a common challenge though, for many companies that grow through mergers and acquisitions. NOV has the right people in senior positions to solve this issue.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

6. Great company to work for. It is refreshing to have managers interested in your career goals.

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong and growing company. Great people to work with.

Cons

Because it is a large corporation use caution and do thorough research before applying to this company. NOV is made up many small and large companies with diverse environments or cultures.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. A must have in your resume for future oilfield hands, or business management professionals.

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Kilgore, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Kilgore, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits packages are amazing, mostly. The work hours are great during busy periods. A very close relationship with your fellow co-wokers is easy to establish based on how N.O.V. divides their facilities. They will send you places for training if needed. The will pay for any expenses for the training.

Cons

Dental insurance doesnt cover much. When it gets slow in the oilfield, it gets REAL slow. Because of how close you can get with your co-workers, favoritism sometimes is an issue.

Great start to a career

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work place and great experience

Cons

salary could be a little better

9. Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, Pay, Benefits, job satisfaction

Cons

Size of company, organization is spread out.

Advice to Management

None

10. Great

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

A great place to work. Not stressful, good atmosphere and a good buisness to be in.

Cons

I have none at this time.

Advice to Management

Give a little more feedback on our performance.

11. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independent working involving minimal oversight if you know what you're doing to get the job done. Base pay is low, however it is offset by additional pays when going out on jobs, transit time, and per diem with great health/dental/vision benefits.

Cons

Workload changes constantly. Can have periods where you get paid doing nothing and other times when you'll be out day after day getting rigs up and running.

RSS Feed </> Embed