National Oilwell Varco

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position" (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits of working for a large company with many office all over the world (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of business structure with middle management (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is generally good, although it depends on the position a lot (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

CNC Machine Shop. Primary duties are repair of drill pipe threaded connections, repair of tooling for drill motors.

Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Bridgeport, WV
    Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Bridgeport, WV

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Health insurance, 401K, paid holidays and vacation are OK. No complaints, the benefits are competitive with other companies.

Cons

Low wages, poor scheduling, very long hours required. Uncompensated on call scheduling. Poor opportunities for career advance.

Pay employees for requiring them to be "on call".

Quality Inspector

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

lot of overtime good health benefits

Cons

lack of consideration and room for promotion.

Good balance between life/ work but weak management

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Conroe, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, light work loads, freedom in what you want to do

Cons

Weak management, no leadership and direction, no specific career path. It's mostly who you know not what you do which matters.

Open a channel of communication with your employee, value the experience and knowledge, shake-up the old management system which has no motivation to progress.

Professional Teller

Former Employee - Teller in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teller in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Flexible Schedule during college years

Cons

Difficulty leaving retail side to transition to corporate

Growth Opportunity

Great company overall,

Current Employee - Supervisor/Lead Person in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor/Lead Person in Orange, CA

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Great people to work with -- and an incredible Engineering staff.

Cons

Two separate groups management and everyone else. --- Which is the companies loss because the lower group has some great ideas.

Pay better wages for your people before you loose all the talent you have. And listen to to people on the floor they have great ideas.

Review

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Office culture, growth opportunities, benefits

Cons

Pay is lower than other companies in the industry

It's a mans world

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Decent salary for employees and nice bonus plan when goals are met. Promotes from within the company as much as possible.

Cons

Men are allowed to say anything without any without any repercussions. They physically threaten other employees, yell, curse and blatantly break rules set in place. Managers will curse you for doing your job and discuss sexual acts openly in the lunch room. At any point if you defend yourself they tell the HR manager and you are reprimanded. Even after being provided proof of what male employees have done she states that she isn't concerned with what they did. Employees know and talk about her actions but are scared to report her. A female executive has commented that the HR manager is a bully and harassed employees but stated she can't report her and become her next target. The HR manger also is known for twisting statements to make them what she want and has physically put her hands on employees in a threatening manner.

Set up an anonymous helpline for your employees to report issues n the workplace. Make sure there are protocols in place where managers are notified of incidents before HR is contacted. Investigate your HR manager and her tactics.

Overall a good company.

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Managers that take care of there people.

Cons

Slow down times in the oil field.

Don't over hire on technicians.

Great People - Great Place to Work - NOV PCG WLY

Current Employee - Supplier Development Specialist - Machining in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supplier Development Specialist - Machining in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of things on the move at our company. The people are excellent and normally treat you like Family.
    Leadership is getting better at our Division and there are many things in process to help NOV improve.
    Like all companies, there is good and bad but just remember - the grass always appears greener on the other side.
    Keep in mind what may make it greener - and try not to step in it. We are growing as an organization, and are very stable. Pete Miller (DNOW currently) was an excellent Leader with a Vision, one I believed in - we at NOV
    do miss him but Clay Williams may be more tactical which may work to NOV's and DNOW's advantage long term.
    Both are excellent Leaders, and people. We are made up from the core companies and have grown thru both acquisition and modernization. This takes adding structure, organization and takes time.
    Looking forward to working with NOV long term, not interested in chasing a buck.
    Yes we tend to pay a little less, but the benefits are good and the people are even better.
    We are getting better every day. The old ERP is on the way out and we will have a better system.

The Management in the last year has made more positive strides in the last year than the 5 previous.
    Our Future is Bright!

Cons

We tend to hire less skilled people with degrees at lower rates, then they gain experience and move on.
    Need more Design Engineering support - There is not enough time, to save time and money.
    We are on the lower end regarding pay, benefits and bonus.
    If you do not like your current position - look for something else - within NOV.
    You will find your place.

Always hire the best available applicant. When there is time, help them develop their skills.
    At times a degree means less than a pot of beans when it comes to experience. Having both would be good.
    Put Engineers on the floor for a short time so they better understand their products regarding what is critical.
    Need more Engineering support - There is not enough time, to save time and money.
    IF you can get 6 jobs a day done, there will be 14 on your plate. Fix it on the front end.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    We could stand to adjust up a little toward "market value" regarding pay, retirement and bonuses.
    Training. Training, Training - More Process Improvement, development employees and systems.
    Keep plugging away. We are moving in the right direction. Thanks.

Good Company

Current Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Good Enviorment. Co-workers are great. Presentable company. Benefits are good.

Cons

No yearly incentives. Management needs to lean more processes. No yearly Incentives.

Learn actual processes before implementing them.

National Oilwell Varco Photos