National Oilwell Varco Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Some problems with middle management (in 7 reviews)

• no work life balance and bad management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad experience. Low pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the employees were easy to get along with, but some of them acted like children.

Cons

Everything. Horrible management, no emphasis on safety. Management was unwilling to listen to new ideas.

Shorten your training sessions down to no more than 15 minutes. Trust me, your employees will enjoy the safety meetings more and get alot more information out of them if they aren't an hour and a half long. Safety meetings are not measured by how much information you give your audience, but by how much information your audience takes in and is able to regurgitate. Take a different approach to safety concerns and get rid of the "I'm the safety guy, and you'll do what I say" mentality. It didn't work in the years before I worked there, it didn't work while I was there, and it's not going to work now. If you're idea of lowering the number of accidents is to fire anyone for doing an unsafe act, then you need a wake up call. Your employees need training, hands-on, straight to the point, training on safety issues, not hour and a half long classroom lectures. Take the time to actually listen to your employees about their safety concerns and ask them what types of PPE or whatever they like to wear, and don't force something on them. If an employee says a faceshield is too uncomfortable and they choose not to wear it, don't blame them. The fault is your own for not assesing their situation and addressing their concerns. Most importantly, quit playing favorites, and I know for a fact it was happening while I was there. Last but not least, enlist the help from outside sources, either through consultants or whatever. You claim that no one knows your employees' jobs better than the employees themselves, but that's what a consultant is, an expert in that field who can come in with a new perspective. Believe me, with the track record you have, you need all the help you can get because management there has no clue what to do.

The NOV Family

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is an excellent work/life balance in my position. The office is always friendly and everyone is willing to help should problems arise. The medical benefits are very lucrative as well as the bonus program for my position. Travel is not excessive but really gives you insight into the diversity of the company. The company seems to focus heavily on the employees as a "family", which creates a nice environment to work in. There are opportunities for advancement in most job fields. The pay is competitive in my position.

Cons

Senior management really needs to be on the same page when it comes to "reaching across the aisle". There are 30+ people who have my title and we are broken down into 2 groups. Though our jobs are the same it seems as though the different managers try to create some kind of separation as if we are not on the same team or trying to accomplish the same mission.

Listen to your employees needs and develop a plan further out than a few weeks. You'd be surprised how more efficient we would work should there be a nice long-term goal to look forward to. We know what we are capable of too.

Have worked at NOV for over 5 years, great work environment.

Current Employee - Warehouse Coordinator  in  Houma, LA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Houma, LA

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At NOV you can work at a pace you're comfortable with, without having a supervisor all over you all the time. Very strong on safety, as well as exceptional work etics.Good working teams.Great place to work.

Cons

NOV tends to focus more on their operations in Houston in regards to family days, employee appreciation events, and many other events that take place in Texas. They need to remeber other facilities outside of Texas,like in Louisiana they bring alot to NOV both finiacally, as well as team leaders and safe work environments. Also down South there's no room for advancement no matter how great you are at what you do, they only reply that you are maxed out in pay at you position, stop comparing positions look at individuals not the set pay scale for a position.

NOV is a very rapid growing company so employee pay should reflect this, a evaluation for a raise every 18 months is just not cutting it when your steadly buying other companies, but letting exisiting employees live from paycheck to paycheck, without even thinking about the cost of living increasing daily. Management consider this " How do you want your family to live in regards to everyday functions in the household"?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Successful summer internship that taught me a lot.

Former Employee - Project Engineering Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere with NOV was great. Everybody I encountered loved their job and I felt the work I was given tested and challenged me almost daily.

Cons

I only worked at NOV for a short period of time, and I didn't encounter any cons/

I have gained a wealth of experience and knowledge working for NOV

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very stable and growing organization. Excellent benefits. Continuing educational opportunity.

Cons

The are very large and growing faster than the staff.

Training and accountability is an issue company wide.

Great potential, but has intoxicating and poisonous culture.

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employee benefits, opportunity for advancement, and relocation or ability to apply to new position is possible every 6 months. Industry leader, provides opportunity, growth, cash flow availability to sustain human resources, and vast array of experience that may not obtain within smaller company. Keep in mind, not for the faint at heart. Self-identity and motivation must be established to survive and grow here.

Cons

Pay is below industry standard, management maturity and skill vary, and politics are rampant. Being under a first-time manager, the cons are extreme in regards to management. HR agrees with management and employee discrimination issues from several employee complaints, only suggests filing outside complaint. Also, aware of degrading demeanor to employees, immaturity, unprofessionalism, and more but will not address unacceptable behaviors. Culture is extremely unhealthy with employee discrimination

Leadership is a great responsibility and honor, be great at it! We depend on you to be leaders as you have been called to be. Culture and value start at the top. Train and guide new management, it is lacking greatly and a huge financial cost to the company. Most of all enforce greatness, don't succumb to complacency and turn a blind eye. If culture and values determined success, the doors would be closed. It is time to make a difference, you are the now, dig-deep, take heart, make a difference, please.

Executive sandbox.

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Great benefits programs for salaried individuals. Clean working conditions.

Cons

It feels like a stepping-stone training ground for inexperienced NOV Corporate executives-in-training. You will work on vaguely defined objectives with no apparent prospect for commercialization or profit. Top-heavy middle management is entrenched, offering little opportunity for advancement before next layoff cycle.

Existing technology patents are quickly aging out.

Get serious about the business and make some money for the company.

Friendly atmosphere, but low pay for the industry.

Current Employee - Data Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Data Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Room to move up the ladder.

Cons

The salary base compared to other oil and gas companies is below market.

Communicate more with employees and their goals.

Great company to learn a lot from.

Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is growing very rapidly.

Cons

Employee turnover is extremely high.

Be open-minded to continuous improvements

Willing to help you grow.

Current Employee - Assistant Controller  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Key people who work hard are given opportunities to prove themselves.

Cons

Pay is generally lower than other companies for comparable jobs.

Retain good employees by giving annual raises.

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!