National Park Service

Updated December 2, 2014
3.5

National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis
Jonathan B. Jarvis

Pros
  • You go to work in the most beautiful places in America (in 11 reviews)

• The opportunity to work at some of the most amazing cultural and natural resources the United States has to offer (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, too many desk jockeys and not enough people on the front lines (in 8 reviews)

• Limited full time opportunities, hires mostly seasonal in NYC, (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Summer Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at National Park Service

Pros

-Great opportunity to work with the public
    -Hours are convenient (3pm-11pm ish) for college students
    -Sense of camaraderie among the staff

The job comes in bursts. There will be an hour or two of hectic work, then some really slow hours, then another hectic frenzy.

During emergency situations the job can be pretty crazy. It's great training for the workplace, though.

Cons

-As a government job, the onboarding process takes forever
    -About 75% of the people are really great, but the other 25% or so have no work ethic and you pull their weight

As it is a concert venue, some patrons can be very intoxicated. And guess who has to put up with them?

Good intentions, poor execution

Former Employee - Biological Science Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Biological Science Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National Park Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

)) Close connection to the outdoors
    )) Human-level respect: Good support for time off for tough life events (birth, death, sickness).
    )) Training: There are a variety of online classes (GIS) and software (Rosetta) available to help you. There is also respect for learning, such that you will likely be given time to learn new skills on the job, as needed.

Cons

)) Sad culture: Most people join the NPS out of a desire to be of service. I certainly did. Unfortunately, the combination of constant funding shortages, bureaucratic red-tape, and poor leadership meant that most projects were severely overextended, to the point where success was unlikely. You will have some victories, some things to feel good about, but probably not as many as you expect, and maybe not enough to balance out the relatively low salaries.

)) Unlikely career path: Budgets have shrunk 1%-10% for the past 10 years. This means that when people retire, their jobs often go with them. To get a permanent or long-term job, you will likely need to spend 2-10 years working seasonal positions with no benefits and (sometimes) frequent relocation. To land a leadership role, you will need lots of luck and determination.

Get real. Most projects are severely overextended. Overextended projects generally do not achieve their goals. They are instead a waste of scarce resources, and give support to anti-government folks. You need to do triage. Shelve at least half of the current/ongoing projects, then reallocate those people/resources to the highest-priority projects. Rather than having most projects struggling in mediocrity or failure, and pretending that you are doing real good, reorganize so as to have a small number of honestly successful projects. Use these successful projects to prove the value of the NPS, win back public support for the value of public spaces, and then use that support to expand. Take off the rose-colored glasses, and get real.

Very enjoyable but maybe becoming a scarce job with too much work load.

Former Employee - Park Guide in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Park Guide in Washington, DC

I worked at National Park Service as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work in some of the most beautiful places in the US, besides the big name places. The coworkers are great and truly want to protect the cultural and natural wonders of this country. If you enjoy having a variety of work and not the same thing day in and day out this is for you. Most visitors are there to have a good time and tend to be much more laid back than what I have seen working in other industries that deal with the general public on a regular basis. The National Park Service tends to be one of the more popular government agencies. I give a 4 star rating because these pros outweigh most of the cons I am about to list. Overall though I recommend this the park service if you enjoy being outside and can make it in.

Cons

If you don’t like being outside and getting exercise you may want to stop reading now. Being a government agency it is difficult to get long term employment, but worst most jobs are seasonal due to the lack of money the National Park Service gets compared to other government agencies. The money for the Park Service is ‘discretionary’ so Congress will cut funding often times. Plus park services on all levels from federal to the local level are being asked to do more with less resources (money and personnel) and the work load is increasing especially with the National Park Service not replacing jobs in its aging workforce, hence making for much more work for those left behind. Though not the first time things have been difficult the outlook is not looking great and hence why I am no longer employed with them and why I give a 4 star rating and not a 5 star rating. I sometimes feel that if it were not for the popularity of the National Park Service it would no longer exist. Also in some areas the National Park Service is seen as an enemy due to it being a federal government agency and is seen as government overreach and meddling, however this is something seen in certain local areas and I don’t think shows the majority of situations.

Work to get a better system set up to help your dedicated seasonals who wish to get full time employment those jobs! Part of the issue is funding and so to the ‘management’ that is members of Congress, hear from your constituents that these parks are generally very popular and need funding to be functional and to the most benefit to Americans and visitors from other countries alike. Get out into your parks more often! Sometimes the upper management doesn’t get out into their own park enough and like can happen anywhere else the management can get disconnected to what is happening “on the ground.”

America's Best Idea, Poor Organization Slow to Change, Archaic Culture

I have been working at National Park Service

Pros

I have been with the National Park Service for 20 years and have the best job in the world. The type of work that I do is directly in line with my interests and education...when I get to do the work that I was hired to do. I whole-heartedly believe in the philosophy and mission of the agency to protect the nations culture, history, and wild places for future generations. I love my job.

Cons

The park-level culture of the agency has been in decline for a long time. Poor moral, terrible work-life balance, inability to effectively deal with problem employees, pay disparities with other agencies, etc. These problems have been well documented in the annual Federal Employee Viewpoint Surveys.
    As a whole, the agency seems to be driven by a mostly middle-management that fails to acknowledge the changes in work force needs, position management, and employee development. The agency holds to the archaic idea of a seasonal workforce when in reality much of the workload requires specialized technical skills obtained through career ladder positions which don't exist. Every season I have extraordinary employees leave 1040 positions with no way of ever offering them permanent employment. You may see terms and phrases like "mission creep" and "punishing the competent" associated with the agency, and unfortunately most are true. Managing parks as centers for history, culture, biodiversity, science, etc has taken a back seat to administrative process and protecting the agency from litigation. It seems that the agency is losing some of it's best and brightest to retirement or other agencies, and lacks the ability or will to re-fill those positions in general, or with capable employees.

The employees of the National Park Service are our most valuable asset. It sometimes takes a certain breed to do the work that we do, and providing a better, safe/healthy work environment and agency culture, and career pathways may solve retention and moral issues.

it's ok

I worked at National Park Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay, usually nice people

Cons

no benefits to seasonal employees

Good experience, lack of growth and potential in certain areas

Former Employee - Park Ranger in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Park Ranger in New York, NY

I worked at National Park Service part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job allowed me to practice public speaking and was able to meet some amazing people

Cons

Very hard to get hired full time

Fulfilling and enjoyable

Former Employee - Avian Ecology in Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - Avian Ecology in Paterson, NJ

I worked at National Park Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to engage and interact with a lot of people. Helpful personnel

Cons

Government job and hard to get hired

Excellent flexibility in finding my own strengths and weaknesses

Former Employee - Park Ranger
    Former Employee - Park Ranger

I worked at National Park Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interaction with the public and ability to make visitors' experience excellent

Cons

Often see furlough and salary/hiring freezes

Consider promoting seasonal staff to full time positions, or helping them find them

An over-hyped job that's basically just average...

I have been working at National Park Service

Pros

Many parks are quite gorgeous and you'll almost certainly get to see parts of the park that almost nobody else gets to see. You also get somewhat decent pay and benefits including all Federal holidays off, vacation time, sick leave, health insurance, and a retirement fund (Assuming you're not a seasonal employee).

Cons

Basically, it's just like any other job. People will ooooohh and aaaaahh when you tell them who you work for (even though they don't know what you do yet) but the job comes with the same pitfalls as any other: there's a lot of boring crap, a little bit of really cool stuff, and you'll never get paid what you feel you deserve. Jobs are diverse, and in many locations, so no park experience will ever be the same as any other. There's also intense competition, and the vast majority of positions are merely temporary.

At the end of the day, don't treat the Park Service like your ultimate, cure-all dream job, chances are very good that what you think a Park Ranger does is quite a bit different than how it really is. Some employees swoon over being in a park, some are indifferent, and some just can't wait to leave.

Listen. Many, many of your employees feel that despite the continuous insistence that the Park Service is a "family", the thoughts and ideas of some employees are just no considered as important as others.

Great mission, great leadership, poor management

I worked at National Park Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You go to work in the most beautiful places in America. What more could you want?

Cons

Your managers are overworked, getting ready for retirement, veterans get shunned because they have preference. If I wanted to be treated as a second class citizen for serving my country, I'd move to ... well ... I can't think of anyplace else in the world where veterans are treated like second class employees by their peers. And the budget keeps getting cut with no one to replace the workforce when they retire. Do more with less is a way of life there.

National Park Service Photos