National Parks Conservation Association

Updated April 30, 2014
Updated April 30, 2014

3.5

Tom Kiernan

The best internship I've had, gave me so much to work with and worked with the best of people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone clearly has a passion here, and it shows in the team building that this organization has developed.
    My colleagues and supervisors, up to the top of executive level were always finding ways to benefit my internship.
    I am extremely grateful for the experience this internship has given me and the opportunity that I have had working with very cooperative, understanding, and wonderful people.
    I would highly recommend an internship with NPCA to anyone who enjoys fast paced, but also cooperative organizations

Cons

With the many structured teams within the organization, it was sometimes difficult to gain sufficient knowledge of executive decisions

Keep up the great work!

Once great, but failing to meet current funding needs

Former Employee - Director  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at National Parks Conservation Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was great to be able to work with people who have passion for the mission.

Cons

Leadership lacks the ability to gain strength from cross-functional integration. As well, they lack the ability to be proactive regarding funding.

Good place to work, CEO occasionally struggles with decision-making and this can cause some problems.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association

Pros

Great mission, very strategic in pursuing goals. We're achieving real results for our cause, something I can't say for all the nonprofits I've worked for in the past. In spite of economic climate, which led to some layoffs a while back, we seem to be in good financial health--most people feel as though their jobs are safe.

Cons

CEO fears risk, innovation, and often overthinks decisions rather than trusting those decisions to the people who report to him. Recent corporate agreement with bottled water company violates our environmental ethic. Internal communication is a struggle, but we're making some improvements.

Let your people do the work you hired them to do. Live the core values--that means empowering your people, embracing innovation, and accepting more risks. Sometimes we'll make mistakes, but the impacts of those mistakes won't be as big as you fear, and the positive results of those risks will surprise you and ultimately help the organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy work week; uncomfortably homogeneous office culture.

I have been working at National Parks Conservation Association

Pros

NPCA offers a thirty five hour work week, decent benefits, and an easy commute. The organization's committement to work life balance is also greatly appreciated.

Cons

NPCA is lacking in diversity despite the organization's committement to diversity as a core value. Senior management in some, but not all, divisions seem disorganized and inexperiened.

Management and supervisory training would be useful. as would cultural competency training. The different divisions of NPCA operate in silos; some silos seem fully functional and decent places to work; others seem like dysfunctional messes.

Worked for National Parks Conservation Association? Contribute to the Community!