National Pen Company Reviews

Updated July 9, 2014
Updated July 9, 2014

2.9

Dave Thompson

Process & analytics driven marketing and a solid business model.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at National Pen Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is friendly, open, and receptive to new ideas at every level. Marketing team is a great group with an amazing mix of personalities and talent. Openness to creative solutions and different approaches help keep the company competitive and offer chances to develop your career. You'll never run out of pens at your desk either!

Cons

Internal processes can be quite laborious and time consuming with lots of frustrating little issues. Needs to develop more internal tools with lessons learned. Not enough people with the right skills to take the time to devote to improving current practices, and very dependent on a few key individuals without having a suitable backup.

Invest in tool & process development as well as expanding the number of people in key areas to allow time for improvements to be made.

It has helped me grow with my career.

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor  in  Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at National Pen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits and a great supporter for charities.

Cons

Not many opportunity for advancement

Treat everyone the same no matter what.

Good place to work!

I have been working at National Pen Company full-time

Pros

Good work environment! everybody is very friendly and helpful

Cons

Nothing to compaint, once I was part of a small team that was very connected

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well managed company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at National Pen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong management team, good benefits, work/life balance

Cons

employee feedback/communication, opportunities for advancement

Interesting.

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Shelbyville, TN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Shelbyville, TN

I worked at National Pen Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Would not recommend work within the Purchasing Department.

I have learned to do many things.

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at National Pen Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is good. Easy work its not hard labor.easy work I can do anything there.friendly people. We are always looking for new product to get new costomers.

Cons

Alittle hot in the summer. When works slow you may have to go home. Unless someone else can use you in there department.

I think they are doing a great job

Great Job...But Not Enough Work

Former Employee - Copywriter  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Copywriter in San Diego, CA

I worked at National Pen Company

Pros

Excellent benefits package, generous severance pay, good team, relaxed workplace, good understanding of disabilities, nice working environment, good location, gave me a laptop to take home immediately

Cons

Asked to come in on weekend right before I was fired, not enough work to keep me busy -which ended up in my dismissal, incompetent managers who don't know what they need, rude managers in other departments who didn't know what my position detailed, poor organization between departments

Before going on a hiring spree, you need to make sure you are only hiring for positions you need so you don't lay people off shortly after you hire them. Also, it would be nice if you could get the departments to communicate more effectively.

Amazing company - awesome product line, a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at National Pen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awesome company to work for. Great staff all around. Excellent compensation package. Love the product line and appreciate the excellent customer service that we provide to our customers. National Pen does really well at marketing new ideas through direct mail to prospect companies and existing customers. Turnaround time is quick, which customers appreciate. Been working here for 18 years and LOVE my job and can't wait to work another 18 as most of my customers have become my friends. The relationship sales team is what truly sets us apart from the rest. Customers appreciate the same contact every time they need an idea or to place an order. Customers wins, rep wins & company wins... :-)

Cons

Need more vacation time for senior reps (5 weeks) a year for reps who have been employed 15+ years. Would be wonderful if company offered cruise/trip/cash bonus to top 10 reps that exceed budget. A paid for trip to see the factory in TN would be awesome, as I've never been there yet.

Keep doing what your doing...

Incompetent management & no respect for employees. STAY AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Dundalk (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dundalk (Ireland)

I worked at National Pen Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Dundalk is a nice city, rent is cheap and it's a good place to start if you are looking for a proper job in Dublin or anywhere else in Ireland
    - weekly payments

Cons

- commission scheme is made for agents not to reach more than the minimum target (i.e. once you build relationships with your customers they will be taken away, your database is refreshed constantly and there is no real chance to build lasting relations with clients, lots of "dead" customers who made it clear they won't order anymore but they are still assigned to you, no understanding for different markets in the approach of
    contacting them, all that matters are your call stats even though e-mails can be far more effective)

- incompetent management and supervisor, lacking basic skills in all areas and most of them don't even have a basic degree or any kind of knowledge i.e. if they need to talk to you about some petty issue (which they often do) they will pick you up straight from your desk in-front of everyone and take you to the back of the office where everyone can see and possibly hear the conversation, you will get e-mails from supervisors constantly telling you to work harder, completely unjustified as everyone wants to reach their targets in order to get commission anyways, (sadly those e-mails are full of grammar and spelling mistakes as well as rude comments ("it's a bank holiday, work double as hard since you are getting paid double as well"), in general you will receive more e-mails about housekeeping, telling you to clean your desk, what to throw in which bin etc. than anything useful or work-related, on top of that you will have managers walking up and down the office floor creating a prison-like environment, most of them have trouble using basic programs like excel and know very little about the market they are working for or how sales work in general

- it doesn't matter how long you have worked there, you will be treated the same as someone who just started, you can always over-achieve (& not receive any kind of recognition for it) but the second you don't they will forget all about it and treat you like a failure

- hiring standards are very low, no degree expected, lots of agents didn't even finish high-school, are far from the native level of the market they are working for, also people with no social skills will be among your team members and if they have been there longer than you their behavior will be tolerated no matter what

- the computers and systems are completely out-dated, programs you will work with on a daily base are older than 2000

- office is never ever cleaned (well they expect you to do it yourself I guess)

- the canteen is overpriced and the food is well okay-ish (depending on your personal standards)

- there are no development opportunities, unless you have the right nationality, knowledge, education or anything else doesn't really count, if you make it to becoming an account manager that's it, they will try to keep your hopes up but in the end you will realize a promotion is never ever going to happen

- also the products you will sell are way over-prized & the quality is horrible, when customers come back with issues they will try to blame it on you (even if it clearly wasn't your fault) and deduct it from your commission (100euro no matter how big the order was)

- absolutely no benefits that any other company has, basic health insurance which is a joke, that's about it

I could go on and on and on but if you like to be treated with respect and get recognition for the work you do, then National Pen is the wrong place for you. In my team around 20 people left (team size is around 30) since the beginning of the year and there will be more leaving in future. Even if you do decide to start there it will be hard for you to find a place to live as most landlords don't want to rent to National Pen employees anymore because of the high turnover rate (they also do like to fire people with no heads up and for no apparent reason, disciplinary procedure according to workers law is completely ignored)

Read above and think about the reasons why everyone is leaving the company, are you surprised? You had so many highly educated people who were also great sellers and even considered to stay for a longer time but the behavior of supervisors, HR & management will make everyone leave sooner or later!

Pigsty - Stay away

Former Employee - Transactional Telesales  in  Dundalk (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Transactional Telesales in Dundalk (Ireland)

I worked at National Pen Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

good enough bonus scheme if you exceed your target
    costumer pool is sometimes good enough to archive target

Cons

Management, Supervisor and any kind of team leader are rude, incompetent and absolutely not qualified at all. There is a big amount of unprofessional and really violent, cruel emails sent on a weekly base. Any kind of face to face talk takes place in the middle of the call-center in front of every other person working in there. You are just as good as your week is going at National Pen.

If this company seriously is looking into keeping staff. They should fire the whole management. And replace it with more qualified people not just education wise, soft skills and humanity could be helpful. COE should really start questioning things more often.

Worked for National Pen Company? Contribute to the Community!